Dad Advice?

eiblehs

Expedition Everest Enthusiast
I'll admit that I wouldn't normally post in this forum, but I feel like maybe this is the best spot for my situation.

Earlier this year, I surprised my dad on his birthday with a trip to Walt Disney World for just the two of us! It will also be my birthday while we're there this summer, so we have lots to celebrate. He hasn't been to WDW since 2001, so I can't wait for him to see how much has changed in 20 years. He is in his mid-fifties and in generally good health; however, he does experience back pain often. Lately, he has been psyching himself out a bit with being able to get around the parks for four days (one park per day). I've told him it would be no issue for us to rent him a scooter if he decides he needs one while we're there. His fear is that he won't be able to keep up with all of the things I want to do and he will be letting me down. I've mentally prepared myself that this will be a different type of vacation for me. I'm focusing on things that will be important to him while planning on taking breaks throughout the day!

Does anyone have any advice that I could share with him? Or maybe some advice for me to make him feel at ease? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

That sounds like a great trip. I've been to WDW when my back wasn't great and it is do-able. There are of course some rides to avoid (Dinosaur and Space Mountain are rough enough to cause mine to flare up, but I'm sure there is a list somewhere on the Dis forums) but you can also be proactive.

I recommend you take a break in the afternoon and chill at the pool -- for me taking the gravity off helps a lot. You can also book massages at one of the resorts. Yes it's going to be a different kind of trip but you can do the more laid back, grown up things like having a drink together or a leisurely meal. Disney is always better if you make your trip your own and don't try to do everything.

What resort will you be staying at?
I occasionally have back problems and a scooter would probably not be the answer . Perhaps that is one of the worries for your father.
The walk from the transportation drop offs to get into the parks can be another worry. That is why I ask if you are staying at a resort that offers other options to enjoy Such as the SkyLiner or one of the water taxis, boats , monorail....

I have a variety of back issues, I was worried about “keeping up” and also worried about “my
Mood” becoming unpleasant should I end up
In a great deal of pain. I made a drs appointment and told her I don’t want to be a theme park drag on the kids because of my back and that I would be facing some serious walking but also very irregular movements (starting with putting luggage in the overhead, sitting in the plane, dragging and lifting luggage and then eventually all the park stuff) My Dr was able to help by prescribing some things that are not for long term but helped immensely on the trip.

I occasionally have back problems and a scooter would probably not be the answer . Perhaps that is one of the worries for your father.
The walk from the transportation drop offs to get into the parks can be another worry. That is why I ask if you are staying at a resort that offers other options to enjoy Such as the SkyLiner or one of the water taxis, boats , monorail....

We are staying at Pop Century!

That sounds like a great trip. I've been to WDW when my back wasn't great and it is do-able. There are of course some rides to avoid (Dinosaur and Space Mountain are rough enough to cause mine to flare up, but I'm sure there is a list somewhere on the Dis forums) but you can also be proactive.

I recommend you take a break in the afternoon and chill at the pool -- for me taking the gravity off helps a lot. You can also book massages at one of the resorts. Yes it's going to be a different kind of trip but you can do the more laid back, grown up things like having a drink together or a leisurely meal. Disney is always better if you make your trip your own and don't try to do everything.

Space Mountain is my favorite ride in MK, but I know it’d be one he would definitely have to sit out. Thank you for the good advice! 😊

Space Mountain is my favorite ride in MK, but I know it’d be one he would definitely have to sit out. Thank you for the good advice! 😊

No worries! :flower3: This thread might help you. You can still ride it but he can do something else while you're on it. It would be nice if you could find some things that neither of you have ever done since that will make the trip more special. 7DMR was absolutely no problem for me.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/rides-with-back-issues.3784031/

Forgot to add...we rarely do all of our park days back to back so I've always had down time at the water parks. I'll be on celebrex forever probably but when travelling we always take an electric heating pad and I've been known to take muscle relaxants at night to heal up for the next day. The pool really saves me though -- it's good that I love swimming.

I think Pop will work out just fine for you, but if you don't have a preferred room you should request an area that minimizes the walking he has to do.

Last edited:

Pop Century is a great location ... I love to people watch at this location and sit by the pool . The SkyLiner is a nice trip to the Riviera with so many places to enjoy this new resort. The rooftop view is incredible.
I am learning to enjoy smaller sections of each theme park. It is sad that the train and peoplemover is not working inside MK currently. But it makes me happy to walk down Main Street to see the Castle and enjoy a meal at the Plaza Inn. The character calvalcades can be enjoyed from Main Street also. The monorail can be an enjoyable trip with a visit to check out the different restaurants.

Last edited:
I have back problems and so does Dh.. we travel with the heating pads... works so great...

Thermacare back wraps are another option for the plane, helps with all the sitting... just put one on after you go through security...

See if your Dad would be willing to start walking more... this will help build up his stamina, and get use to walking more. As well some type of simple stretching routine...

I have a muscle relaxer that I use, it is low dose, so I don't have any side effects when I take it... as well Advil is great for muscle pain...

Perhaps in lieu of a scooter, you can get him DSA.

This is what my FIL does...This allows him to wait in line....Without actually standing in line. That way he will not miss out on any rides he'd like to ride, and he can sit as often as needed for comfort and rest.

I have back issues and - at least for me - my ECV is a MUST for WDW...it’s the only place I use it...

Our last trip to WDW was in 2016. We brought my DW and myself - mid 30's, two kiddos (4 and 2), my brother, sister, and brother-in-law, and then my parents (mid-late 50's) and my grandfather (mid 80's). With Grandpa, everything was a lot more slow paced. He got around just fine, but slow. He didn't want a scooter. Everybody still had a great time. It's Disney! What's not to love?

Of course, it's not just an age thing. Last time I went, we had a double stroller, so I could just strap the kids in and muscle through from one Fastpass to another. We're gearing up for our next trip this summer, and I'm coming to grips with the fact that we'll have to slow down so the kids (now three of them) can keep up. Single stroller this time. Lol.

In the end, let your dad know that the important thing is sharing something you love with someone you love.

I am old man with more problems than there is room to mention,
just try, and if he gives out, set him down in a nice cool spot, get him a drink , let him watch the girls go bye, he will get bye that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter