Cruising Into February 2024 Exercise Thread

sophy1996

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the February 2024 Exercise Thread! This month we'll be cruising along, looking at the Disney Cruise Line.

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day. Since this February has 29 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 435
20 minutes/day = 580
30 minutes/day = 870
45 minutes/day = 1305
1 hour/day = 1740

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress:

10% - Magic Blue
25% - Wonder Orange
50% - Dream Purple
75% - Fantasy Pink
90% - Wish Red
100% - Treasure Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on February 1st, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join! There's no better time than the present to start toward your goals!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:

CarolineBowmanFan37 - 3010/2500
Elizabeth Smith - 650/650
PollyannaMom - 535/500
ShannyMcB - 292/290
sophy1996 - 1025/1000
Twilight Sparkle - 2430/2000

Team: 7942/6940 114%

Last edited:

Did you know that in the early 1990s, before DCL, Imagineers had ideas for S.S. Disney, a Disney theme park at sea?

They considered putting 16-18 attractions plus restaurants on a supertanker and sailing to various ports in the Pacific. The ship would stay in a port for about 2 months, then not return there for 4-5 years. The idea even expanded to include another ship to shoot fireworks from and a passenger ship to house cast members.

Last edited:

Congratulations to Twilight Sparkle for being the first to reach Magic Blue! The Disney Magic was DCL's first cruise ship. Before we get to the Magic, though, let's talk about The Big Red Boat.

Disney offered cruise packages before DCL existed by partnering with Premier Cruise Lines. The founders of Premier thought there was a market for family cruising (unknown at the time), so they acquired and refurbished the Oceanic, painting it red and calling it The Big Red Boat. Starting in 1985, the two companies marketed land-and-sea packages, with three-or-four-day cruises combined with three or four days in the theme parks. Disney characters appeared on the ship and on-board activities and entertainment were geared toward families.

The packages were so popular that Premier acquired two more ships; all three were marketed as The Big Red Boat. Disney and Premier's partnership ended in 1993, and Premier negotiated a new deal with Warner Brothers. Unfortunately Premier didn't do well after the deal with Disney ended, and it went bankrupt in 2000.

Here's a history of The Big Red Boat, including reminiscences from folks who sailed on it (them).

45 minute run

255/2000

I noticed a big difference in stamina in the parks, and I'm telling myself it was because of all the running I've been doing this past year. Unfortunately, I also noticed it was difficult yesterday to get back into running on my first run post-trip. It took me 20 minutes to find a good groove again. I have another run planned today. Hopefully, it will feel more normal.

Last edited:
Congratulations to PollyannaMom and to me on turning Magic Blue! And ShannyMcB is mere minutes away from turning Magic Blue as well.

DCL was incorporated in 1996 as Magical Cruise Company Limited. Its first ship was the Disney Magic, built in the Fincantieri shipyards in Italy and launched in 1998. She is 984 feet long, with a top speed of 24 knots. She carries 950 crew, with 2,713 passengers in 875 staterooms.

The Disney Magic was inspired by the old passenger liners of the 1930s and was decorated with an Art Deco theme. Its colors, however, come straight from Mickey Mouse -- black hull, white superstructure, yellow accents, and red funnels. Reportedly, DCL was the first cruise line to have yellow lifeboats. Before the Disney Magic, they were orange, but Disney got special permission from the U.S. Coast Guard to paint them yellow so they would fit the Mickey theme.

Every DCL ship features a character on the stern. Which character started this tradition on the Disney Magic?

Last edited:
Congratulations to Twilight Sparkle for being the first to reach Wonder Orange!

The Disney Wonder was DCL's second ship. Launched in 1999, she has the same stats as the Disney Magic.

Who will you find on the stern?

And the TEAM has turned Magic Blue!

From DCL:

On an average seven-night sailing aboard the Disney Magic, the following food items are consumed:

• Beef – 5,000 pounds
• Chicken – 10,000 pounds
• Salmon – 1,200 pounds
• Shrimp – 1,300 pounds
• Lobster Tail – 1,000 pounds
• Melon – 15,000 pounds
• Pineapple – 4,500 pounds
• Eggs – 71,500
• Coffee – 57,820 cups
• Soda – 3,125 gallons
• Beer – 12,385 bottles/cans
• Wine and Champagne – 2,700 bottles

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter