Cruising and drinks

leslielightfoot

Mouseketeer
Hi, We've only cruised once a long time ago. We are thinking about trying Royal Caribbean to Caribbean vs an all inclusive resort. We are not heavy drinkers at all but I enjoy wine and my husband drinks beer, rye/whisky and we both like vodka drinks. I also like a tutty fruity drink on occasion if relaxing poolside. Are there drink packages you can order instead of buying as you go? So we know our budget ahead of time or can figure out what our trip (with drinks) is really costing us.

Another questions. Do you pay extra's (port taxes, etc?) at each port or just for any port excursions you choose to do along the way?

Thanks.
Leslie + Shaune

(3 kids age 13, 10, 5)

You should be able to find the cost per day for drink packages on the RCI website. I took a peek at them before my cruise in November, and saw that it wasn't worth it for me - you'll need to have 6 - 8 drinks a day to get to the break even point, and that's far past my level.
Each adult in the cabin has to get the package, so you can't share one pass.
And I think they allow one or two bottles of wine to be carried on.

The port fees and taxes are charged with the fare.

If you do excursions through the ship you are charged when you arrange them.

They do have some new drinks packages (you can find info on them on rccls's site) but they are geared towards the heavier drinker IMO.

You should be able to find the cost per day for drink packages on the RCI website. I took a peek at them before my cruise in November, and saw that it wasn't worth it for me - you'll need to have 6 - 8 drinks a day to get to the break even point, and that's far past my level. Each adult in the cabin has to get the package, so you can't share one pass. And I think they allow one or two bottles of wine to be carried on.

They recently changed the rule about everyone in the cabin having to have a drink package. This is why we are seriously considering RC now. I could easily drink the 6-8 drinks a day but my husband hasn't drank alcohol in over 10 years so it would have been a complete waste for him.

As already mentioned, there are drink packages available, but they are not very economical unless you drink like a fish

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter