Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt, and I think Disney does hence the delayed (compared to say USO) opening and precautions built up.

Their precautions are not drastically different from Universal's. They're pretty darn similar, and yet Universal opened what, 5 weeks earlier? Them delaying their opening actually turned out to be quite a negative for them -- at least PR-wise. They opened up RIGHT as Florida started to have their massive spike. Horrible timing.

Had they reopened in June like the other Florida parks, media coverage would have been more kind. And attention would have be spread out among all the parks (Univeral, SeaWorld AND Disney, not JUST Disney).

Their precautions are not drastically different from Universal's. They're pretty darn similar, and yet Universal opened what, 5 weeks earlier? Them delaying their opening actually turned out to be quite a negative for them -- at least PR-wise. They opened up RIGHT as Florida started to have their massive spike. Horrible timing.

Had they reopened in June like the other Florida parks, media coverage would have been more kind. And attention would have be spread out among all the parks (Univeral, SeaWorld AND Disney, not JUST Disney).

I dont even think the PR was even that bad. They got the initial bad press for opening up, but that was to be expected whether they opened in June, July, or March 2021. The narrative would have been that Disney was opening too soon no matter what.

I dont fault them for waiting the extra month to make sure that they had everything in order. They have more to lose as far as public perception than Universal does just because of name alone. Did they open at the best possible moment? No. But there was no real data when they announced that date to know full well that Florida would be in the middle of a spike. And they were too far into the planning that it would have been irresponsible of them as a publicly traded company to push it off any further. They were comfortable with their protocols, and they opened up, and it seems like they made a good decision. Attendance isnt the best, and it looks like its going to get even slower in the next few weeks, and with reducing the hours, and (rumored) closing AK/Epcot for 2 days a week each, they seem to be preparing for a dip in demand.

I dont even think the PR was even that bad. They got the initial bad press for opening up, but that was to be expected whether they opened in June, July, or March 2021. The narrative would have been that Disney was opening too soon no matter what.

I dont fault them for waiting the extra month to make sure that they had everything in order. They have more to lose as far as public perception than Universal does just because of name alone. Did they open at the best possible moment? No. But there was no real data when they announced that date to know full well that Florida would be in the middle of a spike. And they were too far into the planning that it would have been irresponsible of them as a publicly traded company to push it off any further. They were comfortable with their protocols, and they opened up, and it seems like they made a good decision. Attendance isnt the best, and it looks like its going to get even slower in the next few weeks, and with reducing the hours, and (rumored) closing AK/Epcot for 2 days a week each, they seem to be preparing for a dip in demand.

ssshhh, stop it :(

ssshhh, stop it :(

Personally, I think with the reduced hours, this was their substitute for closing those parks for 2 days a week. Maybe they still do it, but I think the reduced hours was their compromise. I hope. It would make it difficult for my October Mon-Fri trip if theyre closed at all

No, it's not. While I thought their hotel reopening plan was uhh... aggressive (to put it mildly), I think this confirms that the outlook for post-Labor Day September is very bleak, as we've been discussing.
Just to be clear, currently there are no plans to reclose any WDW resorts are there that we know of?

DLP has, UOR now also has, but WDW is pressing ahead with reopening resorts slowly, correct?

Just to be clear, currently there are no plans to reclose any WDW resorts are there that we know of?

DLP has, UOR now also has, but WDW is pressing ahead with reopening resorts slowly, correct?
Correct. Disney has also left quite a bit of resorts closed indefinitely, rather than opening them all at once like UO did. All Stars, Port Orleans (French and Riverside), AKL, Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Wilderness Lodge are all remaining closed indefinitely.

No, it's not. While I thought their hotel reopening plan was uhh... aggressive (to put it mildly), I think this confirms that the outlook for post-Labor Day September is very bleak, as we've been discussing.

For some reason this news is so upsetting to me.
We learned in Chicago that 5,000 of our restaurants will be closed permanently. 5,000.

My initial fear of covid has been well surpassed by my fear/sadness of our economic future. I know that's upsetting to some but to me our bleak future is worse.
I really do worry for the future of Disney, Universal, Vegas, all of tourism if people continue to stay home.
Not to mention people's livelihoods.god, what would happen to Orlando?

I feel like most people would eventually be okay with masks and social distancing, if it meant we could start living again!
But I fear we are being ruled by those who think nothing should happen at all. Nothing should open, masks or not. And I dont understand why.

Gah. Bad day.

Last edited:
For some reason this news is so upsetting to me.
We learned in Chicago that 5,000 of our restaurants will be closed permanently. 5,000.

My initial fear of covid has been well surpassed by my fear/sadness of our economic future. I know that's upsetting to some but to me our bleak future is worse.
I really do worry for the future of Disney, Universal, Vegas, all of tourism if people continue to stay home.
Not to mention people's livelihoods.god, what would happen to Orlando?

I feel like most people would eventually be okay with masks and social distancing, if it meant we could start living again!
But I fear we are being ruled by those who think nothing should happen at all. Nothing should open, masks or not. And I dont understand why.

Gah. Bad day.
Because large segments of our society have demonstrated an inability to consistently wear masks and social distance.

Because large segments of our society have demonstrated an inability to consistently wear masks and social distance.

Thats the easy answer but i think its much more involved than that .

Quite frankly thats the easy fix.Those large segments wouldn't be allowed in to businesses that require masks.
Are they now? Outside of extreme instances you see on news?
Unless I'm wrong, most theme parks across the country are doing well with masks, social distancing. Obviously there are hiccups, but it's been largely working.
And I don't believe that the anti-mask people make up most of the population. I think most people are quite reasonable about it. I just think the crazy outbursts of the anti-mask people make for good news stories.

But it's still not good enough for some.

I'm just saying, I wish people would adhere to and also BE COMFORTABLE with the idea that masks and social distancing is what we need to do to start opening up again.
Because I think it's both sides - those who won't wear the masks and those who have such a fear of Covid that are contributing to this issue.

Last edited:
Thats the easy answer but i think its much more involved than that .

Quite frankly thats the easy fix.Those large segments wouldn't be allowed in to businesses that require masks.
Are they now? Outside of extreme instances you see on news?
Honestly a big part is outside these boards many just aren't ready to go to places other then groceries right now. IMO I think another fix would be to support your local economy in these times. To bring back to Disney to keep It in topic, maybe AP holders should get a resort room for a night. It supports their local economy.

Honestly a big part is outside these boards many just aren't ready to go to places other then groceries right now. IMO I think another fix would be to support your local economy in these times. To bring back to Disney to keep It in topic, maybe AP holders should get a resort room for a night. It supports their local economy.

I get that. But I also feel, and I hate the word, people feel shamed for doing anything right now by those who aren't ready to go places. And I don't mean just travel.
And that sucks.
I also realize money plays a large factor in people's choices to travel or not, but again, it's kind of all related at this point. If the economy doesn't start moving again, people don't get jobs back, businesses don't open, etc., etc., .... (not that anyone actually wants to have a real conversation about it because it gets uncomfortable for some)

And I absolutely agree about AP holders - open up those ticket buckets and let them in!!! :D

Sorry for the tangent. I'm done. I just want to go on a freaking vacation and relax for a minute. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter