Cousin being deployed, I need advice

tazdev3225

<font color=darkorchid>I sucked my thumb up with t
My cousin's unit is being deployed right after the holidays, :sad1: he is away on final training at the moment, and I want to do something but feel helpless. He has a really bad feeling about this deployment and I want to send him with positive thoughts and do something for him while he's in Iraq. His parents are angry at him right now for getting divorced and my aunt actually made a comment that seemed as though she had no choice but to give him a send off party but didn't want to. He is quite a few years younger than I am so we aren't really close but he's family and I want him to know that we want him home safe. Those of you who have been through this HELP! What can I do? Do I send cards, care packages, or other things. :confused3 Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sorry your cousin is having such a hard time with his folks. Maybe they will come around before he leaves. I would definately send care packages to him while he is deployed, cards are nice and letters too. If he is going to have email access that will be a good way to send him positive thoughts as well. My brother has done two tours over in Iraq so I know how it feels to have your family in a dangerous place. :grouphug:

Thank you for responding. As far as care packages what do they need over there, I am really new to this no one in my family has ever been there before so this is all new to me. I know we have been fortunate that no one else in our family that is in the service has been deployed but because they haven't been there I don't know if they would have the answers. I don't know what the army gives them compared to what they really need. Any help from those of you who have been through this would be really appreciated.

What they NEED will be determined by where they are-things that are always useful-lip balm, sunscreen,sillystring (ya the canned stuff for birthday parties-it can be used to detect trip wires on IEDs with detonating them) snack stuff,reading materials, movies, music, phone cards if he doesnt have the ability to have a cell phone ( the best ones for overseas usage are purchased from AFFES-google it and go to their web site).
I always try to send homemade goodies-crisp cookies that stand up to mailing-and in cooler weather carmel corn, peanut brittle and fudge. silly things to provide distraction ( sent a nerf dart gun once that was a huge hit). Mostly they need to know that people back home care. Write letters-emails and IMs are great=but letters can be carried along on missions and re-read.

Thank you that was the ideas I needed. He is really spooked that he won't come home. He was less upset by his recent divorce, and he was only married a little over a year, than he is about this. As I said I want him to know that he has people to come back to that do care.

My brother is over in Iraq on his first tour and we got an other email from him that he wanted a pot and a few other things b/c the food is terrible.

Even though you are not close he is going to need support and to know that you are all praying and wishing him well and to come home safe.

Letters are more personal and can be read if they are on the move. Anything positive is good, even if its downright silly. Who knows through all of this you may become closer with him and get him through this difficult time.

It has been hard on our family as well, stay strong and positive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter