"Country Boy" has Valet Parking Question

David in Manassas

Lifelong Fan!
OK...never done Valet Parking before..

1. Do I tip when dropping off the car, picking up the car or both?
2. What's a good tip amount
3. Do I call ahead for my car or just walk down and ask for it?

Thanks!

1. We tip when picking up car
2. usuallly $2
3. we do it both ways...

Let's see how far off the norm I am...:D :D :D

Originally posted by zurgswife
1. We tip when picking up car
2. usuallly $2
3. we do it both ways...

Let's see how far off the norm I am...:D :D :D

We do exactly the same as you... we tend to not call ahead, but have with no problems.

Basically the same as the other posters, of course, always staying at OKW, I've only used Valet Parking a couple of times when going to another resort for dinner or to look around.

If the weather is nasty, I tend to tip a little more, as I appreciate the service a little more. :)

And I've never called ahead for my car.

We love the valet parking aspect of DVC (BWV). It and chocolate covered donuts from the General Store are 2 of my favorite vacation indulgences.

:sunny:

1. We tip both dropping off and picking up
2. $2.00 each time
3. We usually give my dh a headstart so by the time the rest of the family reaches the entrance the car is either there already or on it's way.

1. We tip both dropping off and picking up
2. $2.00 each time
3. Both - depends on the weather, mood, and where we're off too.

I always tip both ways.

$2, goes up if the weather is bad. I have been known to tip $5 if he is cute and flirts with me! Just kidding .. maybe!:teeth:

I almost always call down for my car. It is nice to walk out and find it already there. After a day or two, the CMs learn your name and will say " your car, ms Cool Cat". Now that makes you feel special!princess:

The industry standard is that you tip when you pick up. Many DVC members are more generous and want to make sure everyone gets their fair share.

$2 both ways, seldom call ahead for the car.

Wanted to self park at the BWV yesterday, couldn't as the lot was full mid-afternoon, really irked me to see VISTANA parking permits on a half dozen cars. :mad: :mad:

Anne

We used to tip when we picked up the car, but, learned they don't pool the tips and it is each person for themselves. So, now, we tip each way.
we don't call ahead for the car.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
We used to tip when we picked up the car, but, learned they don't pool the tips and it is each person for themselves. So, now, we tip each way.
we don't call ahead for the car.
The thinking is that on average, each attendent will deliver as many as he picks up and it will work out in the end, most valet situations don't pool tips.

I tip $2 both ways for good service. I usually call from the room, it's almost always there when we get there at BWV.

I also tip $2 each way and always call for the car. I love valet parking, it is so convenient and such nice vacation pampering!
::MickeyMo

Originally posted by Dean
The thinking is that on average, each attendent will deliver as many as he picks up and it will work out in the end, most valet situations don't pool tips.

By that thinking the valet is working half the time for free.
If I park 10 cars and pickup ten cars that is 20 cars@2.00 it works out to 40.00. By the "thinking" I would only get 2.00 for the ten cars I drop off or 20.00.
Am I correct or am I missing something here?
We prefer to go against the "thinking" du jour and tip both ways.
:) That way we sort of make up for those that don't tip at all.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
By that thinking the valet is working half the time for free.
If I park 10 cars and pickup ten cars that is 20 cars@2.00 it works out to 40.00. By the "thinking" I would only get 2.00 for the ten cars I drop off or 20.00.
Am I correct or am I missing something here?
We prefer to go against the "thinking" du jour and tip both ways.
:) That way we sort of make up for those that don't tip at all.
That's certainly your option. You are indeed paying for others as well. We often do over as well especially if the weather is off, etc. If you search tip etiquette sites, you'll see that tipping on pickup is the standard. It's not that they are working for "free" but that their pay comes at a certain point in the service.

We were at a local restaurant tonight where two of my patients mom's work as waitresses. One was being hostess tonight and I assume she gets straight pay and NO tips. It's hard to imagine she'll get as much compared to what she would waiting tables though I'm sure they'll work it out some how. Enoy.

1. Do I tip when dropping off the car, picking up the car or both?

I tip when dropping off only if there is luggage involved. But I always tip when picking up.

2. What's a good tip amount

We tip $2-3

3. Do I call ahead for my car or just walk down and ask for it?

We always call ahead. Unless you like waiting or have something to do on the way down, it just saves time.

Originally posted by Dean
That's certainly your option. You are indeed paying for others as well. We often do over as well especially if the weather is off, etc. If you search tip etiquette sites, you'll see that tipping on pickup is the standard. It's not that they are working for "free" but that their pay comes at a certain point in the service.

We were at a local restaurant tonight where two of my patients mom's work as waitresses. One was being hostess tonight and I assume she gets straight pay and NO tips. It's hard to imagine she'll get as much compared to what she would waiting tables though I'm sure they'll work it out some how. Enoy.

Thanks for explaining Dean. If it is proper etiquette, then I will definitely rethink our routine.
As to waitress work, I know my daughter tips out the hostess, the bus boy and the bar tender after her shift, and, at those times she does hostess duty her hourly pay rate is more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter