Costa Rica

soarin three

Earning My Ears
We are leaving for Costa Rica in a few weeks and hope someone who has been on the trip can answer a few questions.
a. It appears that for several days the events included water - rapids, hot springs at night and the beach when you got to the coast. Did people wear swimsuits with coverups for the day; or did they change at those times. Is there time between these events that you would go back to your room and change?
b. What did you do the day you arrived when there is no specific itinerary?

For all the water-oriented activities, there are change facilities for everyone to use - just bring your suit in a pack. The Guides will always let you know the logistics for this stuff the day before. The only possible exception is the day you hike in Manuel Antonio National Park. There's an opportunity to swim at the beach at the end of the hike (it's optional). If you decide you're going to swim, you might want to wear your suit under your clothes. Also, be warned that the change facilities (to change into your clothes afterwards) are not the cleanest (your Guides may point this out, too).

As for your question about 'arrival day', the answer is 'it depends'. If you arrive the day before your tour actually starts, then you probably don't have much opportunity to see San Jose. The hotel is very nice - has a great pool, etc. There is also a mall (with movie theaters) right beside the hotel.

If you arrive earlier than that - i.e. you have a full day in San Jose before the tour - then you have a lot of options. There are a few tours that you can arrange through the Concierge and they will pick you up at the hotel. The Coffee Tour is very highly rated (starts mid-morning). We did the San Jose City Tour and we really liked it. These are a good way to kill the day in what is otherwise not a very tourist-y city!

Feel free to check out my trip report for details. :)

We found it simpler to wear the swimsuits underneath and just pull off the clothes before swimming or rafting. The change facilities were wet, and not particularly private. My (then) 8 year old twin girls were uncomfortable changing out of wet stuff into the dry - prepared bathing suits underneath cut that by half, and sped things up nicely.

The hot springs are especially crowded in the changing areas - but what an amazing time!

Our trip also deviated from the script once, and we all went (unexpectedly) swimming in a nearby river. We found wearing Columbia zip-off (long pants to short pants) very helpful!

We found the initial hotel extremely hospitable, with the hot tub and pool a lot of fun. We explored the nearby mall, discovered that even the Coca Cola in Central America was different (real sugar cane instead of corn syrup) and enjoyed immersion in a different culture. If you have time, the hotel will also assist you for (unguided) tours of items of interest. Not too much within easy walking distance, and with cabs, it is best to negotiate a price before you leave! We don't sleep much on these trips - but found most things in the area are not open particularly early, and nothing was open late. Make sure there is no religious holiday or festival, as EVERYTHING shuts down!

We asked early and often and found Bernal (the local guide) to be very accommodating on showing and talking about the plants animals and birds. He graciously hosted a bird watching morning walk. Unfortunately, we were the only takers. I urge you to take as much advantage of this as you can - it is an amazing country. Enjoy the trip, the food, the hospitality and very nice people.

I concur with the above post,your guides will fill you in on all the stuff and there are no surprises.Easy orders for sure.I was there in march and never wore anything but lite lined columbia shorts and t-shirts,even to dinner.You will need absolutely no dress clothes at any time on the trip,unless you feel its called for.I cant stress this enuff.Why not be as comfortable as possible.A day pack with a change and a towel were needed 2 times for us-the rafting and the hike(beach at the end).Hope you have Bernal too,he is THE MAN--.We arrived in the a.m.and got a bus ride around the area with some other early arrivals,hosted by Bernal.It was cool.He recommended a Peruvian seafood restraunt that included a free ride from the Intercontinental.It was the REAL DEAL.I also will say that the pools at the hotel were great.I envy you,we had such a great time-24/7.We are still grinding coffee from the tour and it is still a little bit of Costa every time I drink it.We had a troop of Howler Monkeys buzzin us at the hot springs and it was like jurrassic park!One of the coolest sounds ever.Cant wait for your report,have a great time.

I didn't go with Disney, but went to an awesome resort on the Guanacaste coast of Costa Rica. We returned May 30th, and I'm SERIOUSLY missing being in CR now! I, too, am awaiting your tr-- hope you have as awesome a trip as my family had there--I can't wait to return!

Can anyone who has been on the Costa Rica adventure tell me if they needed to convert US dollars to colones to use at any restaurants in San Jose? If you used your credit card , did you include the tip on your card? Were you able to use US dollars in the Mall across the street from the Intercontinental in San Jose? And finally, if you used your credit card was a transaction fee applied to each purchase? Thank You! I am leaving in 6 days!

We were there in mar. and didnt get too far off the beaten path.Did eat out in Manuel Antonio.a roadside diner,and bought some stuff at the big mall.Never had any hassels.Used American $.Had some colonges for fun,but never really had to use em.Wife pays the bills and she informs me that no extra charges were incurred.If you stay close to the tour you will need very little cash.They can put anything on yer bill!!!!

We would exchange currency at the hotels - the rates were no better or worse than at the airport or anywhere else we looked - and the hotels were easy about the exchanges. Our Chase credit card was hit with a 6% transaction fee for charges - recommend you not do that! The restaurants and everywhere also took US dollars easily - this really won't be a concern for you.

Enjoy the trip. If you really like the coffee, by the way, the airport in El Salvador (we had to change planes there) has a really good, and reasonably priced store. For a case of coffee, they discounted and shipped it. (We did the same again on our recent Peru trip, but carried the case on board). Good deal, and you can enjoy one of the flavors of the trip for a long time to come.

Thank you! Did you buy any coffee
from the coffee plantation that you visited in Costa Rica? If so, did you have it shipped home or did you take it on the plane?
I will not be stopping at the El Salvador airport. Return flight is San Jose to Houston, Texas then Texas to Boston.
I also have a Chase Credit Card. I looked it up online and it had posted a 3% transaction fee for international charges. Apparently that is not correct since you paid 6%! Is your card a Disney rewards Card?

Hey Phil;one more thing.CR has some outstanding ice cream,and we went to get some at a small stand at the mall,only colonges would be accepted.Ya might want to keep a few with ya just in case.We bought home about 20 bags of coffee stashed in our luggage,it fits pretty well.Im on my last bag and as the previous post stated it is a fine memory every day.Im gonna cry when this bag is done!We bought a couple bags in Guatamala which were great,all differant blends at Espiritu(DisneyTour)and some Brtitt types at Arenal.That coffee tour was great.My kids liked it too.The prices are pretty reasonable too.I didnt think of having any shipped here but I might look into it.It IS outstanding.Checked into the credit card thing again.We had 0 extra charges.We liked the Espiritu coffee the best;the Britt the least;still good tho.Prices were 7-10$ a bag.Have an outstanding time!!Oh yeah;we have a Chase Visa card.Dont miss that ice cream either!Mangos will be in season also,I am sooo jealous.

Thank You, Just thought of another question. Are water shoes mandatory on the white water rafting?

Shoes are mandatory,water shoes would be best.If ya dont have any ya can get em at Chinamart this time of year for 10$or less.I know some people didnt have any and we st opped in LaFortuna on the way for a shopping opportunity.Saw some Jesus lizards in the park there so if ya make the stop check it out.

My family recently returned from the Costa Rica trip. Overall, it was an outstanding adventure and one of our best vacations ever. Thanks to many of the previous guests who provided good guidance for us. The zip lining, view from the room near the volcano and spotting the lava flow were our highlights!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter