Coral Reef - New Menu!! yummmmmie!!!!

beeayekay

searching for my niche........
Oh, my goodness.......the sad little crab cake is gone from the menu at the Coral Reef. DH and I had dinner at the Coral Reef Saturday, Sept. 9 and I must say it was the hit of the trip! It was apparent the menu had changed for the better as there seemed to be more fish dishes offered.

For an appetizer I had the crab claws with spicy slaw. Three claws were presented steamed with a mound of slaw circled with tracing of spicy sauce - great! DH had the shrimp cocktail with Asian noodles - six large shrimp were piled on noodles with a soy/terri dressing and presented in a cocktail glass - also great. I liked the size of these appetizers. They were just enough to begin a dinner, not huge enough FOR dinner as some appetizers can be.

I ordered the seared tuna with wasabi mashed potatoes presented with a soy glaze. I asked for the sauce on the side since I like to regulate the amount of sauce on a dish. The tuna was seared perfectly, just medium/rare. And the potatoes were a great complement to the fish. DH ordered seared salmon with wild rice medley. It arrived with a dollop of green mayo-tasting based sauce on top. I thought the sauce had a great taste but DH dislikes anything mayo based so he just scraped it off and inhaled the salmon. The wild rice medley included diced carrots and peas. His salmon was also seared to a medium doneness.

For dessert dh ordered the chocolate wave which he liked but thought the sauce was like eating Hershey's syrup from a spoon. He is not a chocolate snob!!

I ordered a new dessert - the pineapple upside-down cake with coconut sauce. Oh, my - wonderful, wonderful cake with pineapple on top slightly sugar crusted and served with just a drizzle of coconut sauce. Again the portion was not huge. The size of the cake was possibly just over an inch and a half high and three inches in diameter - just the size of the pineapple ring which was on the top.

Jeff was our server and was extremely attentive bringing more drinks and that wonderful bread.

I am so glad I did not cancel this dinner. It was a great experience although the restaurant is extremely noisy, due in part to several crying babies and all that glass, and COLD. We came in from a downpour and were a bit damp throughout dinner. I could've used a sweater!!

I most certainly will come here again!!!

So great to read your review! I'll be eating there in 2 weeks and with all the recent bad reviews, was starting to second guess my decision. Glad you enjoyed it!

Tuna is back on the menu??!! Yay!!! I have an ADR for Christmas week and I can't wait to see the new menu :).

I'm glad to hear about the new menu items. Do you remember any other new selections?

Did they bring back the filet migon? Any other dishes other than fish dishes--like shrimp/scallop/crab? I ate there twice in May and had the NY strip once and the crab cake the other time and did not care for either. Hubby had no problem ordering because he likes fish.

I am comparing what I remember to the menu on Allears.net for Coral Reef. Theirs is the most recent.

For appetizers, the linguini with fish sauce is gone and the shrimp cocktail is changed in the presentation. Added are the crab claws with spicy slaw and a seafood souffle with crab.

Changes in the entrees include the change of seared tuna instead of the flounder with soy, the salmon is served with rice, the crab cake is gone, a shrimp pasta entree added and I think I remember an additional beef dish besides the strip steak. The chicken dish also has changed but I am sorry I cannot remember to what!!!!! Once I saw tuna was offered I stopped!! I was busy watching the fish!!!!

For dessert, the California Gold is gone replaced with that luscious pineapple upside down cake.

Hopefully others can remember better than I.

shyjade said:
So great to read your review! I'll be eating there in 2 weeks and with all the recent bad reviews, was starting to second guess my decision. Glad you enjoyed it!

Me too. I was thinking about changing my ADR, now I won't!

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

I am eagerly waiting for Allears to update their Coral Reef menu...soon I hope! We will be eating there for lunch so I'm eager to see what's offered.

Yes I agree the menu has changed for better. I had early dinner there on Sept 10th. The seared tuna with wasabi mashed potatoes with soy glaze was to die for, but we are talking about a girl who goes through a large can of wasabi peas a day. :rotfl2:
:thumbsup2 to the chef. Great service, Great atmosphere, Great Food. A win win situation.

I live with carnivores...

please tell me the steak is still on the menu - or I'm sunk:guilty:

Never fails :rotfl2: Chef's came back on the plan which is what I originally wanted, but the Dining CM told me to take the CR just incase and I could change it if need be. Well, it came back and I changed it then they changed their menu ugh, so I have been contemplating changing it back, and now the new CR menu sounds good. When I asked the opinion of a disney CM they said they would NOT change it to CR in the way of food ratings he said Chef's rivaled CR. He said CR is good but the quality is better at chef's so I am now back on the fence. April just gotta say I am a big fan of the Corpse Bride love your avatar. :bride: :groom:

[QUOTE= but we are talking about a girl who goes through a large can of wasabi peas a day. :rotfl2:

OK, I've gotta ask, "What is wasabi and what does it taste like?" I've been seeing it on a lot of menus. :confused3

Its a japanese herb that is green in color and very spicy. It is very rare and most places its actually a horseradish based condiment. Love the Wasabi peas though!

Hopetobee said:
OK, I've gotta ask, "What is wasabi and what does it taste like?" I've been seeing it on a lot of menus.:confused3

It's a horseradish...very hot but not the kind of hot that burns your tongue....more the kind of hot that permeates your entire sinus cavity. It's the little pile of green stuff on the side of every sushi plate. I love it! And I especially love it with a m/r tuna steak. I only booked at CR because DD13 requested it and now I am SO glad I did. Thanks for the great review!

Oh, this is fantastic - thank you for posting! I was getting a little nervous about my Coral Reef reservation, but now, well... :yay:

uh oh!? I am sooo excited about going but we have one girl who does not eat seafood and I know that the other 2 would love this place....is there any poulty or steak on the menu?!?! :scared:

Thank you for the wonderful review too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter