Contracts drying up??

No, both we’re basically hypothetical, but modeled after SSR & BLT.

VGF at $125 wouldn’t last long regardless of how big the contract. lol
Then I think I would look at as what the value is of that resort or contract long term. As long as you aren’t overpaying in the beginning or if that resort didn’t get to a real low in price at one time (AK cough cough)

Then I think I would look at as what the value is of that resort or contract long term. As long as you aren’t overpaying in the beginning or if that resort didn’t get to a real low in price at one time (AK cough cough)
Yep, that's where I wanted to check my math, that they basically even out after 35 years. (or the savings on one would catch up with the other)
I still would rather pay a little more to have BLT over SSR, but just checking the math was what i needed to wrap my head around what might be the best option for mainly Aulani use.

Yep, that's where I wanted to check my math, that they basically even out after 35 years. (or the savings on one would catch up with the other)
I still would rather pay a little more to have BLT over SSR, but just checking the math was what i needed to wrap my head around what might be the best option for mainly Aulani use.
I'm also going to point out, you have a number of different resorts - so perhaps you like the variety of different stays. Aulani is nice, but I could see people wishing to try other Hawaiian islands or resorts. Might be worth considering a smaller Aulani contract just for a few days when you plan to be in Hawaii rather than a lot of Aulani points to where you feel committed to that one hotel. We actually did the Marriott next door last trip for 7 nights and had one (concurrent) night at Aulani so the kids had a couple days to play in those pools. Found it a pleasant change and would do that again - it has a more elegant and quiet vibe. Or maybe even do a different island next time, finishing with a couple nites at Aulani if it seemed important to the kids.

I'm also going to point out, you have a number of different resorts - so perhaps you like the variety of different stays. Aulani is nice, but I could see people wishing to try other Hawaiian islands or resorts. Might be worth considering a smaller Aulani contract just for a few days when you plan to be in Hawaii rather than a lot of Aulani points to where you feel committed to that one hotel. We actually did the Marriott next door last trip for 7 nights and had one (concurrent) night at Aulani so the kids had a couple days to play in those pools. Found it a pleasant change and would do that again - it has a more elegant and quiet vibe. Or maybe even do a different island next time, finishing with a couple nites at Aulani if it seemed important to the kids.
Yea, I'm not really looking to get Aulani points (direct or resale unless maybe subsidized), just SAP/+ specifically for use at Aulani, but that's where the math comes in, I might rather have (and the value could be much better if I just added-on) more BLT, or just a small SSR contract that I could use every 3 years.

Funny story, we stayed at that Marriot before Aulani was built (amazing stay) and when we heard the rumors that Disney was going to build there, we were thinking, they can't possibly be thinking of putting a theme park here right?? lol (had no idea what DVC was then)

When you open your email to an alert you have set through dvcforless.com and you laugh out loud at the crazy price it’s listed at. It’s 2 stars. Imma say it’s 1 star (or less)
Oh no, i don't have any notifications coming in, I select "no" when I make the saved search. I'd have seen it 100 times before i got to the email anyway. lol
Now if there was an app, maybe i might allow notifications. ;)

But yes, i agree, if its a joke it should be 1 or less.

Oh no, i don't have any notifications coming in, I select "no" when I make the saved search. I'd have seen it 100 times before i got to the email anyway. lol
Now if there was an app, maybe i might allow notifications. ;)

But yes, i agree, if its a joke it should be 1 or less.
hmmm so weird, the alert email I got is actually not a new listing, when I went to the site its 247 days old.

If I had the time, I would love to add up all the points across the resorts and figure out how many contracts we think exist, even if the average contract size was 100 (making that up). I constantly watch the numbers but the % in active resale at one time has to be small I would guess?
Well right now BCV has a bit under 10k points resale and total points are 3m. But that’s probably a resort owners sell at a much lower rate than others. .3% of BCV is up on the resale market today. I’ve heard estimates that 1% of DVC gets resold each year.

I’ve wondered how much commission comes from resale a year too :laughing: $10m? $25m? Mostly just wondering where it’s at and what point it would need to be for DVD to want in and create a way for owners to trade in contracts.

Borrowing from Disney's own surveys, I actually kind of like increased granularity on the 'good' side, where 2-out-5 is effectively the baseline result (and is how I've thought of dvcforless.com's rating system, even if they label it differently):
  • Excellent
  • Very good
  • Good
  • Just okay
  • Poor
That’s interesting. I am the opposite. I have “good enough to buy at list price” which probably 0.5% of contracts are listed for, and “too expensive” which 99.5% of contracts are listed for. Within too expensive there’s “close enough to offer what I want to pay” and “not even gonna bother”. So that’s 3 categories I suppose.

But I’m aware I’m far more opposed to overpaying than basically all of you (except maybe Jimmy G).

Your comment got me thinking about those small contracts. For example, let's say I routinely need about 20 extra points a year. Would it be smarter to buy a small and rare 25 pt contract or just get those 20 points directly from Disney each year? The dues obligation and the higher price per point average for small contracts may suggest that going directly with Disney is the cheaper plan, but I don't know.
If it’s less than 50 points and you’re very sure you won’t need more later then I think just buy them from Disney. But for the truly outrageously priced ones like BLT or VB I would have a lot of trouble taking that advice myself.

In their defense, automated scraping of data in a consistent and accurate manner is REALLY hard and requires basically constant monitoring and upkeep.
Doesn't bother me really, thought it was funny when I went to the site I was looking and thought no chance someone bought it that quick! It was is outrageously priced and stripped

I wonder if the one that was 247 days old had a price reduction, so that's why it was sent to you? A few bucks off of an awful price to start would still look bad ;)

Yes, this is correct. When an old contract suddenly matches your alert-filters (i.e. due to a price reduction or DealScore modification) we purposefully send you the alert. We should probably make the reason for the listing being included in the alert more clear. For example: adding a badge next to the listing that says "Price Reduction".

Last edited:
Yes, this is correct. When an old contract suddenly matches your alert-filters (i.e. due to a price reduction or DealScore modification) we purposefully send you the alert.
Seems like that is what we want and how it should work!!
Thanks again :)

Indeed, some people are weird. lol
There are contracts listed that are so far out of touch and been listed for over a year (maybe multiple years), they obviously don’t want to sell, they just want to feel like they are willing to. ;)

Would we say it’s “next door”?

It’s about a mile away…

Yes, this is correct. When an old contract suddenly matches your alert-filters (i.e. due to a price reduction or DealScore modification) we purposefully send you the alert. We should probably make the reason for the listing being included in the alert more clear. For example: adding a badge next to the listing that says "Price Reduction".
Usually there is an arrow either up or down that’s how I know if it’s been modified. So I think it’s pretty clear already

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest