Contemporary or Port Orleans? Is it worth it?

AirDisney

Disney Geek
I’m trying to decide on where to stay for my family’s Disney vacation this year. In 2012 & 2013 we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in a river view Royal Room. We loved the room, the location and the resort as a whole. Last year we decided to try a deluxe for our 10 year anniversary and chose the Beach Club. My wife felt like we were cheating on POR, but once we were there she didn’t feel quite as bad. We had a great room and the proximity to Epcot, HS and the Boardwalk area was unbelievable.

All three of those years we went at the same time of year, during the first week of May. This year we are unable to go during that time so instead are looking to go the week before Thanksgiving week (week of Nov. 15). Our DD will turn 5 while we would be there (sharing birthday with Mickey & Minnie on the 18th!) and we are excited to be able to see the parks decorated for the holidays. Last year I saw that free dining was offered during that time period, so that would be a great perk for us. But I’m torn between where to stay. My first thought was to go back to POR. Last year was obviously a bit more expensive staying at a Deluxe, but the convenience of location has me torn. So I started to think about a stay at the Contemporary Resort. Being able to walk to the MK would be unbelievable. Also having numerous dining options within a monorail ride or boat ride would be so convenient, especially if free dining were offered during that time. But my wife is having a hard time being convinced that CR is the way to go and I can’t necessarily disagree with her concerns. Overall resort aesthetics, décor, and pool don’t seem to be quite as nice when compared to POR, in our opinion. And it’s obviously a lot more money when compared to POR (and yes, I’m aware that POR was not included in the free dining last fall. That could throw a monkey wrench into the equation. If it’s excluded again this year should we consider CBR instead?)

So I need some help in trying to convince my wife (and I guess myself as well), is the extra money worth it to try a stay at CR this year? Our budget will only allow a room in the garden wing, not the main tower. Not sure if that’s really a bad thing or not. Does the improved location trump a more scenic resort and lower cost?

Thanks!

I stay at Contempirary a whole lot. And I rather agree, Contempirary is rather lacking in things like decor. The pool is really simple, compared to the other deluxes.

But the magic of Contemporary is in other things.

We always stay in kingdom view rooms. (More money, though). And there just is nowhere else with such a great view of the castle. You're close enough that on still days, you can hear the stage show from in front of the castle.

For sheer Disny-tude, you simply cannot beat Chef Mickey's. (Although, it's relatively easy to experience Chef Mickey's from any of the monorail resorts, or from WL or FW. So you don't have to stay in Contempirary to experience this).

There's the fact that the tower is so compact. No matter where you are in the tower, anywhere you want to go is within 100 yards walk and an elevator. (If you're in the garden wing, then you're 100 yards from the tower. Oh, how terrible).

There's being able to board the monorail without even leaving the building. (In the lower kingdom view rooms, you can feel a slight vibration when one passes underneath you).

We stayed in a garden wing room last fall and loved every minute of it. We have 3 kids , 9, 7 and 5 at the time. Being able to walk home from the magical kingdom after the fireworks at the end of a long day was heaven. We loved eating at the food court and watching the monorail come through. I would not count on being able to snag a garden wing room with free dining. They sell out quickly as they are the cheapest options for being on the monorail.

Have you considered the WL- the boat ride to the MK is a great way to start the day.. And should be significantly less expensive than hthe garden wings. We've done both and I like the room in the contempt better, but the overall resort of the WL much more.

We have stayed at the Contemporary alot as well as the other monorail resorts (but the Contemporary the most) and LOVE it,but we have also stayed at the AKL twice and the Port Orleans French Quarters several times. If I could afford the Contemporary,that's where I'd stay.But since we have stayed at the French Quarters,we book it over the other resorts. I know you are talking about the Riverside,but the French Quarter is almost the same except for size and a couple of other things. Budget is the main reason,plus there are many reasons we pick it over the others (for our family).Would I go back to the Contemporary?In a heartbeat,but not in the budget.

So I need some help in trying to convince my wife (and I guess myself as well), is the extra money worth it to try a stay at CR this year? Our budget will only allow a room in the garden wing, not the main tower. Not sure if that’s really a bad thing or not. Does the improved location trump a more scenic resort and lower cost?
Thanks!

Electric Water Pageant. They play the same tune and have the same little parade from when I was little. To us, it makes a Deluxe a Deluxe.

For one who didn't have an early attachment to such a silly thing... it's all about location. If your wife has any concerns, she probly would not want to stay in a Mod again after staying here. Walking home from the MK when there is an hour line to go anywhere else is priceless. Walking back midday and returning for the evening is just as good.

Garden Wing is in no way a bad thing. Give it a shot! Then you can decide for next time!

We have stayed at POR 3 times, and CR once. We really loved the convenience of CR to the MK. For us, it was worth the money. If you spend the majority of your time at MK (with a 5 year old, I bet you do), then it is so convenient! Epcot is convenient too! If we weren't staying at CR, we would never be willing top brave the crowds at night after the fireworks.

There isn't any one right answer. We have stayed at the Poly and POR. I worried about staying at POR after the Poly, but the resort and grounds were beautiful. We loved both resorts. Did I love taking the boat to MK from the Poly? Yes. Did I love being able to see the fireworks from the resort? Yes. But you still take a bus to AKL and HS. The monorail to Epcot is fun, but doesn't save you time over a bus. I figure for a week stay, it was an extra $1400, and we would go to MK four, maybe five times. I figured that walk to MK was costing me $280 to $350 per trip. For that price, I'll take a bus. But that isn't for everyone. Access to restaurants, the water parade, strollers, ECVs, etc. Everyone has their own priorities.
We are trying out CBR this upcoming trip, because of the spring discount. I just waited till the offer came out, and booked based upon what was available. I didn't want to get my heart set on a resort that wasn't included. And there were hardly any rooms offered for POR, so I guess that was a good strategy. :-)
Good luck! I'd love to be able to go during free dining.

We've stayed at both CR and POR twice. While we love both places, between those two resorts if CR fits in the budget, that's where we would stay. Large rooms and the convenience to MK and the monorail just can't be beat.

POR has been excluded from the Free Dining promotion the last 2 years. So if history repeats itself, that might make your decision easier. :)

Just a thought -- A split stay isn't so bad, and it can shave off a little $$ for the budget.

My family did a split stay between these resorts in 2013. We started at POR in a Royal Room for 4 days, and switched to CR for the next 4. We booked a Garden View room, but with the help of a little pixie dust, got upgraded to a Magic Kingdom View room in the tower. The best of both worlds. It was pretty awesome.

We recently stayed in the CR garden wing and absolutely loved it. Yes the pool isn't exciting, but it does have a slide. We will definitely stay again if the price is right.
I also like the idea of a split stay.

Thank you for all of the great comments and suggestions. We have never done a split stay before. How does it work getting all your luggage from one resort to the other?

Bell service will transfer you luggage. Just keep a "day bag" in which you keep everything you might need for the day (bathing suits, sunscreen, your papers)... Because you usually can't get you luggage before 5pm.

IMO, you should definitely try them both.

I don't care for CR's decor (reminds me of a mall) and I love POR. But I understand that the location of CR is excellent especially on MK days.

Check out of resort #1 in the AM prior to heading to the park for the day. Leave your bags with bell service -- they take care of everything. For us, we arrived at resort #2 around 2pm, and our room was ready with our bags in it. There was no problem with FastPass, ADRs, etc. Only thing to be aware of is that you technically do not have a room between the hours between check-out at resort #1 and check-in at resort #2. For us, this was no big deal.

In the end your decision will be easy because of free dining. If POR is excluded it's a no brainier. May also consider Wilderness lodge or if you can get a decent room prove, Poly would be awesome.

CR is definitely worth the extra $$ if it is in the budget! The location is amazing with the walkway or monorail to the MK is priceless, monorail to Epcot is a nice convenience. The monorail to the Poly and GF is great for dining, the boat to WL and FW is also nice for activities and dining. You can walk to the MK bus stop and bus directly to any resort such as AKL for dining or activities. The rooms are huge and amazingly comfortable. The views from the garden wing are so beautiful, you would pay extra from almost any other resort, but here they are the lower priced rooms. Everything at the CR is conveniently close to your room even in the garden wing. Chef Mickey's is right there at your resort!!! The water pageant goes by the resort. MK fireworks can be watched from a patio on the 4th floor. This hotel is very much Mickey Mouse and Tomorrowland themed, which are totally Disney.

It is a great resort with children when you spend most of your vacation time in the MK. Our kids thought that the monorail going right through the hotel was super cool! The pool is simple, but there is a kids play area and slide. It is never crowded and we really enjoyed our time at the pool. Request a ground floor room and you may be lucky and get a patio!

CR is an awesome resort to stay in! Our family LOVED staying there! (Granddaughters aged 4 and 1 1/2 at the time)

If it is in the budget it is a great choice!

I have stayed at both. While the theme at CR can be more subtle, it's there - it's supposed to be a streamlined modern hotel. That appeals to some people and not so much to others. The rooms at CR are much larger than POR, which is nice. I prefer to stay in the garden wing instead of the tower, even though the garden wing rooms don't have balconies. They are quieter and since it's only three floors, it's easy to use the stairs. I have stayed in the farthest wing room from the tower, and could still get to the 4th floor of the tower in less than five minutes (and I don't run). One thing to consider at CR is that the bathroom is fully enclosed, so it can be challenging for more than one person to get ready at a time.

I have also stayed at Poly, GF and WL. Of the three, I prefer WL (although Poly runs a close second). The rooms at WL are smaller than CR, but larger than POR, and you would have a balcony. WL is convenient to MK due to having both bus and boat transportation, but you can still feel removed from all the hustle and bustle of the park when you are at the resort. WL is a wonderful resort around the holidays - the decorations are awesome!

I don't think you can make a "wrong" decision. It's all about priorities. Do you want to put the extra money toward a more convenient location and larger room, or do you want to use those funds for a different splurge on the trip and stay where you know you have had a good time in the past? Only you can answer that question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter