• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Connecting Room Question- PLEASE read!

triplefigs

<marquee><font color=009933>Triple Chick</marquee>
If we request connecting rooms and when we check in they cannot accommodate our request (i.e. only have adjoining rooms), what happens if we cancel one of the two rooms at that point? If we all stay in one room and cancel the 2nd one(Deluxe room that holds 5 people), will we be charged for the cancelled room? Will the resort make an exception and allow us to cancel it outside of the normal time period since they couldn't meet our needs? If we WILL be charged for the 2nd room no matter what, we will just book one room to avoid the possibility of losing the money on a room we might not be able to use.

I know when you request connecting rooms it says "Guaranteed for families", but there have been instances posted lately where that request wasn't met- even for small children and medical reasons. We want to book 2 rooms (for the extra bathroom), but DH and I are worried that we could check in and not get it. 2 of my children have special needs, so I need to be able to check them at night. And, splitting up the adults to sleep in separate rooms with our kids isn't my idea of fun.

I'm with you. My DS is autistic, at this point we have two rooms w/ my mother along too. Even if mom doesn't go we may keep the two rooms, just because DS takes LONG baths !!! I really wish the connecting rooms could be guaranteed, even w/ a party of 3 (me, DH, and DS). I could provide any paperwork they wanted.

I've never had a problem getting requested connecting rooms. If your reservation says "guaranteed for families" the key word is guaranteed. If for some reason you get to the resort and they don't have what you need, they'd have to move you to a resort ( comparable or upgrade) that can accomodate that need. I've never had that happen though, fortunately- I think they are pretty good about blocking the connecting room requests when it's gty in advance. Once I arrived at Coronado Springs and found the room to which we'd been assigned reeked of smoke. It was a nonsmoking room ( on the door sign) but someone hadn't followed the rules. Since I have a medical reason for needing it and thus had it guaranteed on my reservation,we were moved to AKLodge instead as there were no rooms left at Coronado. We had friends staying at Coronado as well who were slated to help me transfer and they moved them too so I'd have the help I needed. I was amazed at the wonderful service and assistance in that situation. Kathy

One thing you can do is four or five days out call the hotel at the number on the back of the reservation confirmation. normally the reservation will show up on the hotel's computer five days out. Ask to speak to the "rooms assigner" or the Front Office Manager. Explain that your reservation has "connecting rooms guaranteed" (any why) and that way someone will not accidentally not notice the comment on the reservation.

Any TA out there know the "official" Disney policy on this? I really need to know definitely if we'd be charged or not.

thanks!

triplefigs said:
Any TA out there know the "official" Disney policy on this? I really need to know definitely if we'd be charged or not.

thanks!

Official Disney policy is connecting rooms are guaranteed, pre-blocked if necessary, for medical reasons. Don't see any way they could charge you BUT since you want connecting rooms I'd check in early and if it's not available ask them to either find you another resort or move an existing guest to accomodate your guaranteed reservation.

If they don't give you what you reserved I'd be looking for some type of compensation or upgrade NOT just not being charged for the second room.

TaxiMomfor4 (a frequent poster on the DISability board) had "guaranteed" connecting rooms through Medical Reservations and they were not met! There were no connecting rooms in the building that special services "blocked" for her so she was given 2 rooms that shouldn't have been in inventory (and had lots of problems as a result). She has a long post about her dilemma and the resulting customer "no-service" from WDW. I know it's a small chance it could happen, but obviously it DOES! So, I just want to know my options ahead of time. BTW, all she got back from WDW was a measly 50% comp off one night.

Here's a link to her post. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=785797&highlight=Asmu+woes

That's why I want to know the OFFICIAL policy on cancelling a room at check-in. The higher ups at WDW told her even with Medical Reasons through Special Reservations (and she confirmed the connecting rooms several times prior to arrival and at check in!) that it is still only a request- regardless of what the paperwork or CRO says.

If your reservation says guaranteed connecting room and they don't give you that you have grounds for a credit card dispute if Disney want to charge you. I wouldn't worry about it. Check in early. If you get there at 7:00p there really isn't a lot they can do. Probably too late to find you another resort or to ask a guest to move.

TaxiMomfor4 got her connecting rooms, her problem was noise and a room that was evidently not intended to be rented. It was missing a remote and a clothes line. Unfortunately complaints like the distance to refill her mugs managed to distract people from her legitimate complaints.

triplefigs said:
TaxiMomfor4 (a frequent poster on the DISability board) had "guaranteed" connecting rooms through Medical Reservations and they WERE NOT MET! She has a long post about her dilemma and the resulting customer "no-service" from WDW. I know it's a small chance it could happen, but obviously it DOES! So, I just want to know my options ahead of time. BTW, all she got back from WDW was a measly 10% refund.

Here's a link to her post. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=785797&highlight=Asmu+woes

That's why I want to know the OFFICIAL policy on cancelling a room at check-in. The higher ups at WDW told her even with Medical Reasons through Special Reservations (and she confirmed the connecting rooms several times prior to arrival and at check in!) that it is still only a request- regardless of what the paperwork or CRO says.

I do appreciate your advice. Our dilemma is if we book 2 rooms and can't get connecting (I know it is a very, very small chance), then we'll all stay in one room. BUT, I would probably pick a different resort/room location if only booking one room (ie larger Deluxe but can't necessarily afford 2 Deluxe rooms). Does that make sense? So, we're trying to decide if it's worth taking the chance or just booking one room in a Deluxe where we'd have the space. I hope I explained that ok.

Again, I appreciate the assistance.

Lewisc said:
If your reservation says guaranteed connecting room and they don't give you that you have grounds for a credit card dispute if Disney want to charge you. I wouldn't worry about it. Check in early. If you get there at 7:00p there really isn't a lot they can do. Probably too late to find you another resort or to ask a guest to move.

TaxiMomfor4 got her connecting rooms, her problem was noise and a room that was evidently not intended to be rented. It was missing a remote and a clothes line. Unfortunately complaints like the distance to refill her mugs managed to distract people from her legitimate complaints.

Have you talked with the CMs in the Special Needs area? We always speak to them when we make direct ressies because they are the ones (at least that is what I've been told by them) who make sure the proper wording appears on your confirmation and they understand what your specific needs are.

When I've called the CRO, I've simply told the CM answering that we have some very specific medical needs and they promptly transfer me to the Special Needs or Special Assistance CMs. They are the people that we explain our issue to and they make the necessary notations and adjustments to our ressies.

I would recommend speaking directly to someone at WDW so that you have a name and extension of the person besides the info on your ressie to back you up. Just my .02! :)

triplefigs said:
I do appreciate your advice. Our dilemma is if we book 2 rooms and can't get connecting (I know it is a very, very small chance), then we'll all stay in one room. BUT, I would probably pick a different resort/room location if only booking one room (ie larger Deluxe but can't necessarily afford 2 Deluxe rooms). Does that make sense? So, we're trying to decide if it's worth taking the chance or just booking one room in a Deluxe where we'd have the space. I hope I explained that ok.

Again, I appreciate the assistance.

I thought you were just looking to cancel your second room in the resort if you weren't able to get connecting rooms. I'm not so sure you could have a backup-reservation at a deluxe hotel and cancel it if you get your connecting rooms. You're original post talked about cancelling one of your 2 rooms not one of your reservations.

I'd check in early, if they don't have connecting rooms let them find you a room at a Deluxe hotel that'll sleep 5, I'd start by asking for connecting rooms at a moderate or deluxe but settle for a deluxe room that'll sleep 5.

Your question isn't that much different than what happens if a guest shows up and the hotel is overbooked.

BTW I think POP has a lot of connecting rooms.

No, you read it correctly. What I'm saying is I would have 2 rooms booked at Mod POR (or cheapest Deluxe room). If I couldn't get connecting, we would want to cancel one of those 2 rooms. then we'd all be in one room with no extras where as if I we were to book just one room originally, we'd book concierge for the extra space and amenities.

I hope I explained that a little better. again, I appreciate your help and advice!

triplefigs said:
No, you read it correctly. What I'm saying is I would have 2 rooms booked at Mod POR (or cheapest Deluxe room). If I couldn't get connecting, we would want to cancel one of those 2 rooms. then we'd all be in one room with no extras where as if I we were to book just one room originally, we'd book concierge for the extra space and amenities.

I hope I explained that a little better. again, I appreciate your help and advice!

Your reservation will say guaranteed connecting rooms. The credit card company would take your side. Disney is the one who's cancelling your reservation not you, in fact you should be using those exact words. My reservation for guaranteed connecting rooms was not honored.

GET THERE EARLY and decide what you want if they don't have connecting rooms. If they get you connecting rooms at another moderate resort you really don't have grounds to complain much. If you accept one room in the moderate you really should be asking for a discount for every night you're stuck in one room. If they upgrade you to a deluxe you shouldn't have to pay any extra.

Taximoms problem was a sold out Disney World really didn't have that many rooms to work with. It's probably not possible to have a quiet room in a sold out value resort.

Lewisc said:

Actually, just to clarify, the first set of rooms (pre-blocked as connecting by special services) were not, in fact, connecting. We had to fight like rabid coyotes to get connecting rooms after that. The noise, etc all followed. By the way, the close proximity to the bus depot was supposed to be guaranteed by the special services dept also in case dd had an episode and needed rushed off the bus and to our rooms.

taximomfor4 said:
Actually, just to clarify, the first set of rooms (pre-blocked as connecting by special services) were not, in fact, connecting. We had to fight like rabid coyotes to get connecting rooms after that. The noise, etc all followed. By the way, the close proximity to the bus depot was supposed to be guaranteed by the special services dept also in case dd had an episode and needed rushed off the bus and to our rooms.

This is EXACTLY why we have opted to just get one Deluxe Room. I am so sorry you went through such a horrible experience. I don't want to get stuck losing my deposit or having to move resorts. I hope your story results in some drastic changes in how WDW treats individuals with disablities. BTW, glad to read the exec about the GAC took your concerns and complaints seriously.

triplefigs said:
This is EXACTLY why we have opted to just get one Deluxe Room. I am so sorry you went through such a horrible experience. I don't want to get stuck losing my deposit or having to move resorts. I hope your story results in some drastic changes in how WDW treats individuals with disablities. BTW, glad to read the exec about the GAC took your concerns and complaints seriously.

Thanks! Even I cannot believe how good it felt to be listened, REALLY listened :listen: , to! (I mean, besides all the great Dis-ers who were so supportive. It really amazed me how many positive and supportive posts I got.) :flower:

We are 6, if you count the 2 yr old (CRO doesn't ;) ) so we could still, this summer, do a deluxe 5-person room. We are attempting connecting rooms again, though... Lucretia herself is supposed to contact our resort on our behalf before our arrival to make sure all is correct. I expect it will be fine this time. I hope you enjoy your deluxe stay! If we were truly 5 people, I would be doing that, for sure!!

:wave2: Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter