Congratulations Amy Coney Barrett on your Supreme Court nomination

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just a wild guess, but I'm guessing Democrats will oppose her nomination, and Republicans will support it.

Both sides will say the opposite of what they said with the Garland nomination -- and both sides will rightfully accuse the other of hypocrisy. Some things never change.

RBG isn’t cold in the ground yet. This is the most disrespectful, dishonorable some will say hypocritical power grab this country has been subjected to in a very long time. I find it disgusting and repugnant.

RBG isn’t cold in the ground yet. This is the most disrespectful, dishonorable some will say hypocritical power grab this country has been subjected to in a very long time. I find it disgusting and repugnant.
What? It is the Presidents job to pick a Supreme Court Justice. Obama did it and now Trump is doing it. It takes NOTHING away from RBG. That is ridiculous.

Robert Bork says, "what's up?"

Last I checked, he got a hearing, and did not get voted in. Just because someone is nominated, it does not mean that automatically get a spot on the court. Garland, on the other hand, was never given a hearing, because it would have been "inappropriate to do so during an election year."

Wait. Isn't this an election year? And aren't the same people in charge of these hearings? I'm not sure how well Bork compares to that.

Last I checked, he got a hearing, and did not get voted in. Just because someone is nominated, it does not mean that automatically get a spot on the court. Garland, on the other hand, was never given a hearing, because it would have been "inappropriate to do so during an election year."

Wait. Isn't this an election year? And aren't the same people in charge of these hearings? I'm not sure how well Bork compares to that.
Thanks for the Civics lesson, perfesser.

He got an official vote. Garland didn't. Apples and Oranges.
If we are going to do this, before the thread gets zapped. Who changed the rules in the senate? I'll give you a hint. It rhymes with schmary scmeid. It's politics. It was politics when it required 60 votes then, it is politics now when it just takes a simple majority. Dems changed the rules, and this was one of those unintended coincidences.

The real concern is that you have a judge, who should only interpret the law, who professed that she was "fighting for what she believed in." That is contrary to what anyone on that bench should be doing.

What? It is the Presidents job to pick a Supreme Court Justice. Obama did it and now Trump is doing it. It takes NOTHING away from RBG. That is ridiculous.
Obama was denied a nomination and vote for Merrick Garland during an election year by Mitch McConnell. McConnell is now allowing Trump to nominate and most likely pass through a nomination during an election year. There's the rub.

Too political? Hmmm

There is a thread expressing condolences to RPG with comments on her long successful term as a Supreme Court Judge. So why not one congratulating and wishing Amy Coney Barrett well on the beginning of her hopefully successful term as a Supreme Court Judge. (btw the RPG thread was nicely policed by The Dis mods)

This is just a wild guess, but I'm guessing Democrats will oppose her nomination, and Republicans will support it.

Both sides will say the opposite of what they said with the Garland nomination -- and both sides will rightfully accuse the other of hypocrisy. Some things never change.
What's different is that this time there will be a vote.

PS- “In a July 2016 interview with The New York Times, Ginsburg responded to a question about whether the U.S. Senate was obligated to assess the qualifications of Judge Merrick Garland for a seat on the High Court. She said: “That’s their job. There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year.””

Just to be clear - because the procedure was changed to only require 51 votes for confirmations, there is no need for hearings if you already have the votes. It's just the way it is. Garland could have had his day, had the party in charge not changed procedures to their advantage earlier.

It's all baloney, can we just agree on that? Millionaires getting richer by the day, all pretending to care about us. Meh.

Racist comments and the state of race in America have always been allowed on the DIS for my memory banks. I don’t know see
offering condolences as political but to each their own interpretation.

And if my memory serves me correctly the racist comments and race related threads have actually died down. It used to be helluva more racist in here.

And if my memory serves me correctly the racist comments and race related threads have actually died down. It used to be helluva more racist in here.

You know why? The black and white cookie! Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate. And yet still somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie, all our problems would be solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter