Concerns about cruising at all until COVID19 vaccine exists

I have my suspicions that it was here by Xmas, as well, but I keep coming back to how contagious it is now versus that, essentially, mini-outbreak over winter. If that was here then, why didn't it spread like it's spreading now? People who were sick were at Xmas parties, vacation, visiting family, including grandma and grandpa. Yet the anecdotes of people who think they had it are limited. It was certainly a year attributed to much higher numbers of flu cases, including people dying from it that had no underlying reason to have died from it. But still, not in the numbers we are seeing right now, even with the 'shelter in place' happening all over the world.
That’s exactly my thoughts and why I can’t be sure if that’s what I had - if it was here already then, why wouldn’t it have spread as quickly? Or was it being misattributed to the flu? Do they always test people in the hospital for flu? I know I’ve never been tested but I’ve never been hospitalized. The doctors I saw never suggested what I had was the flu, just some unknown virus. But I know if I had that same bug right now I would be told to assume I have Covid-19 (based on my symptoms) and self-quarantine my entire family!

I am wondering if anyone else has decided to stop going on any cruises until there is a COVID19 vaccine around? I had been planning to book a DCL for early 2021, but now I really don't know. Even if we "flatten the curve", COVID19 will still be out there. It probably won't be gone until we have a vaccine, or so many people get it that we have herd immunity. I am guessing it will be at least a year for either of these things to happen. Cruises seem like a particularly scary breeding ground for COVID19. I feel sad about it, but I don't see how it can possibly be safe anytime in the next year. Thoughts?

My next cruise is in December so we'll see how it is in the USA in September (travelling from Canada) when we have to decide to either pay in full or cancel...

If there are efficient (and approved) treatments and/or vaccines then I guess I'll go because the sanitary conditions on cruise ships will be better than ever.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the cruise lines test people and ask more questions before they get on ships.

I won't consider cruising until like 2022/2023 and beyond at this point.

Even if a vaccine comes online, it will taken long time for it to be readily available worldwide (think of all those crew members from various countries). In addition, I expect lots of restrictions to port access and excursions in the next 2 years, as smaller countries deal with this virus and its fallout.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the cruise line being required to get the shot before being able to work on a cruise ship.

I was just saying this to DH. If only they could do a test when you board. Then again, I guess someone could catch it coming back from Port.
Or someone could be negative and test positive the next day (or the day after that, or the day after that, etc.) with no port stops. This isnt to say I wouldnt heartily support an embarkation test but we'd either need to test daily to quickly catch people or still practice SD and good hygiene as much as possible to slow the spread.

I am wondering if anyone else has decided to stop going on any cruises until there is a COVID19 vaccine around? I had been planning to book a DCL for early 2021, but now I really don't know. Even if we "flatten the curve", COVID19 will still be out there. It probably won't be gone until we have a vaccine, or so many people get it that we have herd immunity. I am guessing it will be at least a year for either of these things to happen. Cruises seem like a particularly scary breeding ground for COVID19. I feel sad about it, but I don't see how it can possibly be safe anytime in the next year. Thoughts?

Us too. No cruises until this is fully resolved. Likely no WDW either. Until then probably just beach vacations.

Our national news had an article yesterday with the company which is developing a vaccine in the Netherlands.
Their estimate is that they can start testing large scale in September, and the earliest it will be available on a large scale first months of 2021.

Similar to H1N1-flu, which started in March 2009, the first vaccins became available in October 2009 and were widely available in January 2010.

Same here - no cruises or WDW til vaccine available. No need to put ourselves in crowded spaces!

We will enjoy national parks, hiking, the mountains, possibly beaches, when possible.

No cruising for us until a vaccine. But frankly, I think I will have a hard time getting back on a ship after this at all. I have PTSD from the news reports of those stuck ships! Even before this we were done with the Caribbean, and we've done most of the other itineraries, although if they take the new ships to Asia I may reconsider :)

Similar to H1N1-flu, which started in March 2009, the first vaccins became available in October 2009 and were widely available in January 2010.
That sounds quite a bit faster than the current estimate of 12-18 months. Are those dates correct? If it started in March, October is only 7 months after that or did you mean March 2008?

No cruising for us until a vaccine. But frankly, I think I will have a hard time getting back on a ship after this at all. I have PTSD from the news reports of those stuck ships! Even before this we were done with the Caribbean, and we've done most of the other itineraries, although if they take the new ships to Asia I may reconsider :)

That sounds quite a bit faster than the current estimate of 12-18 months. Are those dates correct? If it started in March, October is only 7 months after that or did you mean March 2008?

These are my thoughts also. Even if there is a vaccine for this current virus what if another pandemic comes along? What if we get stuck on a ship for some other unforeseeable catastrophe? Cruise ships suddenly seem like very vulnerable places to be.

If we do ever cruise again we will continue to hold the line on always booking a verandah room. I've always done so anyway but boy I wouldn't want to be quarantined in an inside room!

These are my thoughts also. Even if there is a vaccine for this current virus what if another pandemic comes along? What if we get stuck on a ship for some other unforeseeable catastrophe? Cruise ships suddenly seem like very vulnerable places to be.

If we do ever cruise again we will continue to hold the line on always booking a verandah room. I've always done so anyway but boy I wouldn't want to be quarantined in an inside room!
We actually upgraded at the port on the WBPC for that exact reason. We missed the last veranda by one family, but at least we had a window.

Our family just got diagnosed. After ALL symptoms clear up we will be ready to cruise fear free. I guess it is nice to just get it over with and not be afraid. Luckily, we all had mild or no symptoms. Stay healthy.

So you are off your symptoms now? How long did your results take?

So you are off your symptoms now? How long did your results take?
No, symptoms for my daughter, myself and husband continue. We had very “vague” symptoms, some of which we did not even know pertain to Covid 19. Two days after we got home from the WBPC cruise I noticed what seemed to be a sinus infection. I do get them quite frequently after travel, so thought nothing of it. No fever, no body aches, no issues with my lungs or coughing. Just sinus pain and pressure in my face. Our daughter started having mild diarrhea which we have learned is common and misdiagnosed in many people. My husband has allergies and we returned home to trees in bloom. He has had some stuffy or runny nose, but no fever, no body aches, no issues with his lungs or coughing. The only thing that was out of the ordinary for a sinus infection for me was that on Tues and Wed afternoon this past week, I got the chills for a few hours - no fever, just chills. When I got tested on Thurs my temp was 98.7. Was notified to stay home quarantined until any and all of our symptoms are gone for at least 72 hours. Our table mates on the cruise haven’t been as lucky and struggled with high temps this week and difficulty breathing. None of us showed any symptoms on the cruise. My personal feeling is that the incubation period can be even longer than 14 days.

What will prevent me from cruising and travelling to WDW is whether travel medical insurance (I’m Canadian) will cover us for Covid-19 or not. I doubt they will cover until a vaccine and/or good treatment is available.

I think an antibody test, if it's widely done, will relieve a lot of people's stress. I know it sure would relieve mine. That said, it could backfire and people, feeling immune, will stop self-isolating when it's still unclear how long you are shedding the virus to others.

My family has a cruise planned for December and will absolutely go unless it is cancelled. The chance of getting something will never be zero. I am not ready to quit living due to a small chance I might get a virus. If I should get it there is even less of a chance I will die from it. More likely to die in an airline crash. In any case there is a risk in everything you do. You just have to access it on a personal basis. I understand those with compromised health being overly cautious. I am 73 myself and ready to get on with life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter