Compassionate Reassignment

First of all, hugs to you and your DH and family for all that you guys are going thru right now.

I have DH sitting here beside me and showed him your post and he found the online form to fill out: DA Form 3739 - Application for Compassionate Actions(Section III - page 39).

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r614_200.pdf

Good luck. He seems to think that with your DH's mother being terminally ill that you should have a good chance of getting reassigned closer to her but with the Army there are no guarantees.

My heart goes out to you and your DH. I suppose the best thing you could do is to fill the forms out and see what happens.

One question though, if your DH gets the assignment, what would the chances be if he had to deploy with a new unit? That would be just awful to move closer to family for the reason of helping out and then getting shipped out. There would have to be some type of rule saying no more deployments with the assignment, don't you think?

:grouphug:
Kerri

My DH was stationed in Hawaii when his son passed away, him and his ex-wife requested a compassionate reassignment so they could be closer to family after the loss of their child, it was granted and they were reassigned.

We were in a similar situation except, there are no step children involved( just DD(12)) and we have been married almost 16yrs.

We were at Kadena when DH lost his Grandma and Step Dad(32yrs married) within 6months...MIL was/is a wreck both emotionally and financially and my Mom has ALS, she has lost 80% usage of her hands. We decide for DD and I to ERD, that was 2/08. His DEROS is 6/09 but we decided for him to volunteer for a 365 to guarantee his return here to Mac Dill. So far it is all working okay, we miss him terribly but have been fortunate to see him every 3 months or so and he has order to Mac Dill for 5/10. I now have both MIL and My mom living with me. For us a compassionate would not have worked to well because wewould have ended up PSCing during DD's JR. or SR. year.

I would say that given your circumstances a compassionate may work, have you talked to a Chaplain and has your DH talked to his first SGT?

Thanks for everybodys input. DH talked to the Chaplain today and got w/ S1 - he emailed me the packet so I can help him round up some of the info he needs. MIL goes in for the pacemaker/defib installation tomorrow. I just hope this works.

My heart goes out to you and your DH. I suppose the best thing you could do is to fill the forms out and see what happens.

One question though, if your DH gets the assignment, what would the chances be if he had to deploy with a new unit? That would be just awful to move closer to family for the reason of helping out and then getting shipped out. There would have to be some type of rule saying no more deployments with the assignment, don't you think?

Kerri

DH is deployed now and returning in June. He will be gone 15 mos and should be allowed to stay home 12 mos (hopefully the new unit will accept dwell time). Next June he can start his retirement packet and 2011 hopefully retire.

Hi, Katie, I hate to hear about all that is going on. Big hugs and hope things go smoothly. Keep on top of the paperwork and make sure your husband stays on top of the issue there.

I would find it very unlikely that he would be allowed to leave early from his deployment but I do hope things work out.:grouphug:

Hi, Katie, I hate to hear about all that is going on. Big hugs and hope things go smoothly. Keep on top of the paperwork and make sure your husband stays on top of the issue there.

I would find it very unlikely that he would be allowed to leave early from his deployment but I do hope things work out.:grouphug:

Hey Tina! Long time no hear...

We aren't trying to get him to leave the deployment early but when he gets back we are trying to get closer to his parents (which would be back to Ft Hood).

:) Thanks!

Hi Katie, first off BIG HUGS !! I have been through several deployments and it never fails that as soon as he leaves someone is ill, dies, or something happens. SO kudos to you for keeping it all together.

My husband is a Company Commander, second time in charge, and he has dealt with these matters a few times. He has a soldier right now that is in a similar situation. Because they have deployment orders for early May, they aren't sure if his will be granted or not because he has had orders deleted before. HOWEVER, my DH has told him that his wife and children can go home while they are deployed to be closer to family if his orders stand. I know you aren't trying to get him to come home early, but if you can go back home then that's what I would suggest, at least to help out for a little while or until you know for sure what's going on. It is so hard to say what the military will decide since these things are case by case and it all depends on who is reviewing them.

I wish you luck and hope that everything works out in your favor.

Hi Katie, first off BIG HUGS !! I have been through several deployments and it never fails that as soon as he leaves someone is ill, dies, or something happens. SO kudos to you for keeping it all together.

My husband is a Company Commander, second time in charge, and he has dealt with these matters a few times. He has a soldier right now that is in a similar situation. Because they have deployment orders for early May, they aren't sure if his will be granted or not because he has had orders deleted before. HOWEVER, my DH has told him that his wife and children can go home while they are deployed to be closer to family if his orders stand. I know you aren't trying to get him to come home early, but if you can go back home then that's what I would suggest, at least to help out for a little while or until you know for sure what's going on. It is so hard to say what the military will decide since these things are case by case and it all depends on who is reviewing them.

I wish you luck and hope that everything works out in your favor.

Thanks! I am going back next month for awhile. I am willing to go back there but since my DH accepted an accompanied tour he also accepted 3 years. We arrived last March - he deployed a month later. Once he returns he will still have just under 2 years. If I ERD back to the States (early return of dependants) they will move all my stuff, ship our car back to the States and he will stay in the barracks. We have already been seperated 2 deployments and I don't think I could handle another 2 years apart.

I hate being so far away...

I completely understand as far as being away for so long, it really doesn't get any better. I also understand about the ERD and paying for everything, it would be different if you were stateside as far as cost. I really do hope things work out for you.

DH is deployed now and returning in June. He will be gone 15 mos and should be allowed to stay home 12 mos (hopefully the new unit will accept dwell time). Next June he can start his retirement packet and 2011 hopefully retire.

Me Too!!!:)

I know this will sound awful, but I would not move back without my husband. Having all these issues with the health of family members and being away would be just that much added emotional turmoil :sad1: I think that I would fill the forms out then take a long vacation to be with his family (at least until he came home in June). Would his family take you in to help out in the mean time?

Kerri

Hey Katie, im so sorry you have been going through all of this :( they should really let you guys go back. please let me know if you need anything. have an awesome time in disney and take lots of pics. you guys are in my prayers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter