Compact Fridge

sltrawick

Mouseketeer
Okay, I have a gas fridge in my popup camper, but it is broken (under a recall, and haven't brought it down for it yet). Anyways, I'm tired of using coolers and spending money on ice (I have used frozen jugs before too, but still have to go and buy ice after awhile). And I have also used the Igloo plug in cooler. It lasted about 4 years and the fan stopped. Took it in for repair, not repairable. So, we didn't get another.

We are wanting to get a compact fridge, but since I'll have to store it upright...I don't want a small one nor do I want a big one.
My question is, do you have a compact fridge? How well do you like it? How do you travel with it and store it while you are traveling?
thanks!!!

º0º
Sharon in Florida
Wife to Cameron for the past 15 years (July 2)
Taxi Mom to: Christopher-12 & Kayla-8
My Trips to DW:
Next Trip: June 15-25, 2001
OffSite-1984,86,87,89,91&92
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000

We have a Coleman electric/12 volt cooler and we love it. It is large and holds a ton of stuff. We use it right outside our door for cans of pop etc. I don't know if I would get a compact refridg. for the purpose you are looking for. They are very heavy and have no handles for easy transport. Plus they are more expensive. We bought our Coleman at Wal-Mart a few years ago for about $79 and that included the electric adapter. We have a travel trailer and we can plug it in our TV 12 volt plug while we are driving. Also can plug it into your cigarette lighter in your car. It can sit like a cooler or upright like a fridge. If the fan breaks down the road, I would rather buy a new one of those than a small fridge.

Just my opinion,
Kathy

Twinmommy: How well does the Coleman keep things cool when you have to leave the vehicle for an extended time during the summer? I read it kept things cold at 45 degrees below surrounding air. We've often talked about getting one of those.

Been there, done that, going back!
Off-site 87, 88
All Star Music 97
All Star Music 98
All Star Movies 99
Ft Wilderness Oct 00
BWV/WLV Oct 01

flyTINKERBELL.gif

TinkerbellRules,

Hi again!

I think the Coleman does a great job. If you have concerns about the temperature in a very hot trailer in the middle of the summer, why not put a frozen 1/2 gallon jug of water inside. That would help the fan along. Also, could keep the A/C turned on as low as possible to help it stay cooler inside the trailer.

We usually use ours as a second fridge so it gets the koolaid jugs, pop, beer, water etc. that take up so much space in our trailer refrigerator. We plug ours in, when we are driving, to the 12 volt TV hook-up inside the trailer since the regular electric plugs don't work when you are driving. (I wish they did :) ) We keep it outside the camper door unless it is pouring down rain, and then we bring it in. Not supposed to get it wet.

We just love ours! It is 3 years old and works great.

Kathy

We too have a pop-up and got tired of buying ice all the time. We have a small refrigerator not the square one but the next size up. We love it. We put it in our van when on the road. It's just a few inches too tall for the pop up when it is closed.

wdwfortwildernesslogo.gif

{Dreams Do Come True at Walts Place}
cmprmov4.gif

I went ahead and got a fridge. It is about 24 inches tall. Just about 1 1/2 inches too tall to store on the floor of the camper when we go.
So, we will also have to put it in the back of the Durango when we travel. Glad I'm not the only one that has to do that.
We are thinking of getting a 'pallet' to put it on when we get to the campsite so it's up off the ground. (we are going to keep it outside under the awning)
sharon

º0º
Sharon in Florida
Wife to Cameron for the past 15 1/2 years (July 2)
Taxi Mom to: Christopher-12 1/2 & Kayla-8.90
My Trips to DW:
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000
mickey82.gif

Hello everyone!

Kathy: Thanks for the advice on the coolers. I really wanted it for the van when we are out and about, but I can definately see a need when camping as well - when you go on long trips and have the frig in the camper packed! I never thought about putting a milk jug with ice in it. Great idea!

I saw Target had one on clearance for $69, but didn't buy it. Our dog, Annie, is very ill and we're spending lots of $$$$ on her.

I saw in our paper that Indiana residents can get in the moderates for $99 during spring break. I want to go! Can't do it though due to Annie ($$ and not wanting to leave her). But, our friends switched plans to go to the beach and are going to WDW. We're going with them in Oct.

Crystal

Been there, done that, going back!
Off-site 87, 88
All Star Music 97
All Star Music 98
All Star Movies 99
Ft Wilderness Oct 00
BWV/WLV Oct 01

flyTINKERBELL.gif

Hi Sharon,Im sheilas husband, Did she tell you that you can buy a power inverter to run your fridge in your Durango while traveling! You can buy one at yhe Rex store in p.c. Don :D

Leesburg,GA

Hi Don....
REally......I didn't know that. How exactly does it work? You plug it compact fridge cord into another cord that goes into the cig. lighter? That would be soooo great!
Thanks for the info!

º0º
Sharon in Florida
My Trips to DW:
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000
mickey82.gif

Did you find it on a web site that we had one here at the Rex store? I was going to look it up online at REx....but don't have the web site.

º0º
Sharon in Florida
My Trips to DW:
Honeymoon-1985
FW-6/94, 95, 96,2000
mickey82.gif

Sharon yes you can buy one at rex or radio shack,and yes you plug it into your cig lighter,have to go to work ! sorry for the short reply,don :D

Leesburg,GA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter