Coming to the experts- where do my points go if I need to cancel

bamafaninNOLA

Earning My Ears
I’ve not canceled a DW trip and know that the points used to book my 3 rooms come from 2023 and 2024 (Dec. UY). Please help me understand where the points will go and when I’ll need to use them by. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0224.jpeg

All points will go back into the UY the trip was to occur in, so that looks like Dec of 2023 so the trip must be completed by November 30, 2024.

ETA: Any points that are 2023 points can be banked into 2024, but the points you borrowed from 2024 into 2023 must be used by November 30, 2024.

As long as you cancel the trip at least 31 days in advance, everything used will be part of your 2023 UY without the holding restrictions status.

If you cancel before July 31st, 2024, then any 2023 points can be banked. All 2024 UY points borrowed, no matter when you cancel have to be used by November 30th, 2024.

If you cancel less than 31 days in advance, all points, included the 2023 points, would now expire November 30th, 2024. They would be in holding, which means only eligible for trips booked 60 days or less from check in, but since your trip is already in October, the expiration is less than 60 days, so holding status won't matter.

As long as you cancel the trip at least 31 days in advance, everything used will be part of your 2023 UY without the holding restrictions status.

If you cancel before July 31st, 2024, then any 2023 points can be banked. All 2024 UY points borrowed, no matter when you cancel have to be used by November 30th, 2024.

If you cancel less than 31 days in advance, all points, included the 2023 points, would now expire November 30th, 2024. They would be in holding, which means only eligible for trips booked 60 days or less from check in, but since your trip is already in October, the expiration is less than 60 days, so holding status won't matter.
My trip is planned for the 2nd week of May, not October. October 2023 is when I booked the trip for travel this May.

My trip is planned for the 2nd week of May, not October. October 2023 is when I booked the trip for travel this May.

Sorry. I misread. Then if you are booked in May, you need to cancel at least 31 days or more to be able to bank the 2023 points.

The 2024 points were borrowed and can’t be sent back so expire November 30th.

Canceling less than 31 days and all points become holding points. They will all expire November 30 and have the additional restriction of only being valid for stays 60 days or less from check in.

Sorry. I misread. Then if you are booked in May, you need to cancel at least 31 days or more to be able to bank the 2023 points.

The 2024 points were borrowed and can’t be sent back so expire November 30th.

Canceling less than 31 days and all points become holding points. They will all expire November 30 and have the additional restriction of only being valid for stays 60 days or less from check in.
Thanks, and my apologies for not clarifying that in my initial post.

One more question, if I cancel 2 of the 3 rooms, can I request which points are used for the remaining one? Meaning, can I have the points borrowed from 2024 into 2023 UY used for the 1 remaining room, therefore have the other points from 2023 banked Into 2024?

One more question, if I cancel 2 of the 3 rooms, can I request which points are used for the remaining one? Meaning, can I have the points borrowed from 2024 into 2023 UY used for the 1 remaining room, therefore have the other points from 2023 banked Into 2024?

Once canceled, you can have the points reallocated into the remaining room.

It is not automatic so you have to do it yourself or call MS to have them do it.

^And adding, that switch of points for the room reservation you want to keep must also be done at least 31-days before arrival date, because doing it 30 or fewer days from arrival would mean those current use year points coming out of the reservartion will go into holding.

^And adding, that switch of points for the room reservation you want to keep must also be done at least 31-days before arrival date, because doing it 30 or fewer days from arrival would mean those current use year points coming out of the reservartion will go into holding.
Thanks again. So when you say I can “do it myself”, are you saying I can do it through the website? I may only cancel one of the rooms but if so, I’d definitely want to keep the 2023 points so I can in turn bank them for 2024.

Thanks again. So when you say I can “do it myself”, are you saying I can do it through the website? I may only cancel one of the rooms but if so, I’d definitely want to keep the 2023 points so I can in turn bank them for 2024.
Online, you can cancel a reservation that has the borrowed points. After doing so, you can then modify the other reservation you want to keep by just modifying it to the same resort, room type, and reservation dates it already has. That reservation will be shown as available because it is the one you already have.

You will then get to the contracts you want to use for the modified reservation. Just make sure the contract having the borrowed points you want to use is included in the contracts chosen.

Then continue on with the reservation, which will actually use any borrowed points before current use year points, and when you get to the end, you will have the same reservation you started with, but now using those borrowed points and removing an equal number of current use year points.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter