• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"comfort dogs"

I think there's also a danger of people seeing these dogs in the restaurant and it becoming known as "the place that lets dogs in"

I have a neighborhood bar I go to all the time with friends. We often have 3-4 cocker spaniels with us. We always sit outside - but there are often 2-3 dogs inside the bar. It's dog friendly.

I don't take mine inside as he is not well behaved enough. I just tether him to the fence (where he can't reach anyone) , go in and order and then come back outside.

A business does have the "right" to ask if a person is disabled and if the animal is a service animal. If so they can ask what tasks the animal is trained to do to assist them.

Even if all those conditions have been met, a "disruptive" service animal can be asked to leave (the owner may return without the animal so as not to deny service to the person).
Very important point.
Wouldn't this be considered a safety hazard? Isn't even a true service dog required to NOT be a hazard (of course we all know a true service dog wouldn't actually do this, but that's beside the point)? I thought that if a service dog creates some kind of hazard (and I don't mean because of idiots who don't understand it's job; I mean things like this where he's getting underfoot or creating some kind of danger for others) that he would be expected to leave. Am I wrong about this? Wouldn't this dog, regardless of his designation, be required to leave a restaurant?
You are perfectly correct in this.
This is a link to the ADA "Business Brief" summary to educate businesses about Service Dogs.
Here is what it says about disruptive dogs:
# A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the animal is out of control and the animal's owner does not take effective action to control it (for example, a dog that barks repeatedly during a movie) or (2) the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.

# In these cases, the business should give the person with the disability the option to obtain goods and services without having the animal on the premises.

A dog that is walking around and getting underfoot is a hazard.
Also, a Service Dog needs to be allowed in restaurants, but you could potentially jeopardize your food service license by having a non-service dog in your restaurant.
I think there's also a danger of people seeing these dogs in the restaurant and it becoming known as "the place that lets dogs in"
Can't resist a quote:
If you build it, they will come.
Once word is out that this is a 'dog friendly' restaurant, you may find more guests bring their dogs in.

My son has and Emotional Support Animal which is a golden retriever. She has been trained as a therapy dog and is registered as a service animal. She has an identification tag with her picture on it that she wears. I also have information cards to give to the businesses if we take her inside a restuarant, store, ect.. They have a picture of her on them along with her registration number and the ADA guideline for service animals. Any registered ESA/ "Comfort Dog" should have identification.

My son has and Emotional Support Animal which is a golden retriever. She has been trained as a therapy dog and is registered as a service animal. She has an identification tag with her picture on it that she wears. I also have information cards to give to the businesses if we take her inside a restuarant, store, ect.. They have a picture of her on them along with her registration number and the ADA guideline for service animals. Any registered ESA/ "Comfort Dog" should have identification.

You may want to review the new laws Cheshire Figment posted on the first page.

Another issue here is if these animals are not true service animals, they are most likely violating health ordinances. All restaurants that I am aware of are required to meet certain standards of cleanliness to maintain their food handlers' license. If an inspector were to visit with a dog roaming around the dining area, you would most likely be cited and/or fined. If the OP is the owner of this restaurant you should be aware of this. If not, you may want to inform your manager or the owner and see what they think of this situation as it should be their call on how to handle the situation.

Another issue here is if these animals are not true service animals, they are most likely violating health ordinances. All restaurants that I am aware of are required to meet certain standards of cleanliness to maintain their food handlers' license. If an inspector were to visit with a dog roaming around the dining area, you would most likely be cited and/or fined. If the OP is the owner of this restaurant you should be aware of this. If not, you may want to inform your manager or the owner and see what they think of this situation as it should be their call on how to handle the situation.

well, I did say the dog was walking around the table a bit, NOT roaming around.
but I am not the owner, just a server.
I'm glad I now have more knowledge in case the situation comes up again. thanks again, everyone!

well, I did say the dog was walking around the table a bit, NOT roaming around.
but I am not the owner, just a server.
I'm glad I now have more knowledge in case the situation comes up again. thanks again, everyone!

My mistake, when I read the dog walking around from chair to chair, I got a picture in my mind of him following you around, which to me is roaming. But if you're a server, definitely take this to the manager or owner. You shouldn't have to be responsible for dealing with this. Good luck to you!!

when companys get enough lawsuits for animal bites and injuries to the animals themselfs. tha ada will be pressured to amend the rules

Reading though this whole thread.........I feel there seems to be a single point being made..........

Basicly I felt everyone has no problem with a real..trained....well behaved dog , what ever their service/comfort ability is, being admitted to a restuarent, wdw park...wherever.

The problems start when the cheaters show up, people who have a dog, well behaved or not,and the feel they are specail and should go anywhere they want with the dog...even on the tables in restuarents or in their laps. Using the ADA rules and *HO MY I need my dog as a service/comfort dog,* These are the folks that get the rest of us upset.

I agree with Uncle Duck, it seems the ADA rules need to be reviewed and adjusted so the poeple that really need the assitances of a trained service or comfort dog can have them where they need.

The cheaters can stay home in my mind!

Just a old ex deep water sailors opinion

AKK

Unfortunately an amendment to the laws probably won't happen anytime soon. Any logical amendment seems to bring up discrimination issues, ie if you don't have to prove you are not disabled why should I have to prove I am and this is a legit service dog type things.

My boys and I have been "on the road" for a few months now (homeschool field trip) and until this last week have not run into any trouble regarding my youngest sons service dog. Both times it has been a Marriott Fairfield Inn... None of the other Marriott hotels bothered with us except to ask if he was indeed a service dog so they could put it in the records. These two hotels however have insisted on seeing and taking a copy ofhis paperwork (I have his service dog in training card that is on his collar, but I really don't want to have to take his collar off so they can photocopy it!!! Nuts to that... He is only 18 months old and still has a bit of work to learn how to do... Not quite ready to take him off leash and expect him to to work out of uniform, you know?

I tried reading them the ADA guidelines cited on page 1 of this subject, but was dissmissed and told to talk to the manager about it of I didn't like it. Whew... (checked in kinda late in the evening as we are on our way to Florida to celebrate the end of our field trip at boardwalk, so manger wasn't in when we got here or when we left).

Thoughts?

Heidi

call mariot corporate, and ask them to handle it and to get back to you with the results, and let them know that if it is not handled you will file a formal ADA complaint with federal OCR

bookwormde

My boys and I have been "on the road" for a few months now (homeschool field trip) and until this last week have not run into any trouble regarding my youngest sons service dog. Both times it has been a Marriott Fairfield Inn... None of the other Marriott hotels bothered with us except to ask if he was indeed a service dog so they could put it in the records. These two hotels however have insisted on seeing and taking a copy ofhis paperwork (I have his service dog in training card that is on his collar, but I really don't want to have to take his collar off so they can photocopy it!!! Nuts to that... He is only 18 months old and still has a bit of work to learn how to do... Not quite ready to take him off leash and expect him to to work out of uniform, you know?

I tried reading them the ADA guidelines cited on page 1 of this subject, but was dissmissed and told to talk to the manager about it of I didn't like it. Whew... (checked in kinda late in the evening as we are on our way to Florida to celebrate the end of our field trip at boardwalk, so manger wasn't in when we got here or when we left).

Thoughts?

Heidi
They are breaking the law, pretty clearly.
The manager would be the appropriate place to start (but I can see why you didn't want to wait around if he was not there).
If the manager does not know the law, I would suggest contacting the corporate offices of the hotel. Someone 'up the food chain' has to know what they are supposed to/allowed to do.
If they don't believe the information from the ADA link and don't believe it is legitimate, they can easily go the the website by themselves on their own computer and see that it is from an official government website.

An ESA is *not* a service dog and does not have the right to enter places of business where pets are not allowed. There is no "registration" for service dogs and business owners are not able to ask for identification or paperwork.-If your sons dog does not perform tasks to mitigate his disability then yes, she is an ESA as you described. An ESA is allowed in apartments/living quarters and on airplanes with proper documentation but NOT otherwise in public- sorry you were mislead. ---Kathy

An ESA is *not* a service dog and does not have the right to enter places of business where pets are not allowed. There is no "registration" for service dogs and business owners are not able to ask for identification or paperwork.-If your sons dog does not perform tasks to mitigate his disability then yes, she is an ESA as you described. An ESA is allowed in apartments/living quarters and on airplanes with proper documentation but NOT otherwise in public- sorry you were mislead. ---Kathy
::yes::

To avoid any confusion, I want to point out that cdhheidi has posted in other places about the services her youngest son's dog provides for him (some include alerting an adult to changes in the child's conditions). His dog is a Service Dog, not a Comfort Dog. The advice given to cdhheidi applies to Service Dogs only, not emotional support or comfort dogs since, as dclfun posted, use of those types of dogs are not protected by the ADA.

Thank you! I have already made mention of it in one of those surveys they send out after staying at the hotel....and will see if the manager is in when we leave here this morning. Both boys are sick so I have been up much of the night doing IV antibiotics (youngest has a port we have to protect, so abx just in case it is an infection not a virus). The older is very black and white when it comes to the law and wants to make sure that the hotel sees clearly where they can NOT do this. He was madder than a wet hen last night LOL!!! (future lawyer?)

Heidi

I once stopped a service dog from mouthing (and trying to eat) a package of M&Ms while his oblivious owner was paying for an item at our local CVS. It was a black lab retriever, and chocolate is very poisonous to that breed. The guy didn't even thank me, just pulled the dog away. I hate poorly trained owners! He could have killed his service dog, and plus, the dog left drool all over the candy display. If I was the CVS manager, I'd have told the guy to keep the dog outside until it was retrained properly.

There's something wrong with how the ADA is written if businesses have to be the first line of defense against misuse and fraud, but only after it occurs. I know it is a fine line to balance on - all people deserve the right to access their community, their world, but to put the burden of proof onto others just doesn't make sense to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter