Columbia SC?

Chim Chiminy

stale marshmallows sting when they hit you
DH has been told that is one of three possible next assignments, at the school house there.

So if you live in Columbia or have been stationed there before, please share whatever you can about the area.
I have only driven through and stayed overnight a few times on our way to FL. The area we stayed in, right near the base, was not impressive.

Thanks!

I grew up near Columbia, SC, my husband is from Columbia, and some friends still live near there. The best places to live in Columbia are in the Irmo area, closer to Lexington. The better school district is there, as well. Anohter good area is Winnsboro up I-77 towards Charlotte. It's 20 min away from Ft. Jackson. Between Winnsboro and Ft. Jackson is Blythewood, another better location. I am pretty sure that is in Richland 1 School District. There are also a few good private schools in the area: Heathwood Hall, Ben Lippin (Columbia) and Richard Winn Academy (Winnsboro--my husband taught there for 6 years).

Columbia has a lot of what you aould consider amenities while having a smaller town feel.

I do have to say, though, if you stayed overnight near the Fort, I understand why you were not impressed. I would not have been, either, if that was my first view of Columbia.

Well, it has been 10 years ago, but we were stationed at Shaw in Sumter, SC about 40 minutes away from Columbia. I worked in Columbia, and we spent most weekends in Columbia. There is a lot to do there, and you will only be about 2 hours from Myrtle Beach and Charleston.

Yeah, the area around the base isn't the greastest. As the previous poster said, Irmo would be a great place to live. I have a friend that lives there in Irmo and she loves it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter