College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

Sorry for all the questions! If you are NLIC'd, can you reapply six months from the date you first applied, or six months from the date you are NLIC'd?

I have a question. I am currently enrolled in a Graduates School and going under financial aid, and my very 1st sem will end this May 2016, if i do get into the DCP what am I going to do with my school? Can i get info as to how this will all work especially since i am going under financial aid?

This is something you will have to speak with your school about, since every one is different

I would first go to your class adviser - they are the ones who can tell you if it's possible to take a semester/year off without interfering too much with the schedule. Some specialized classes may not be offered every semester/year, so you could be forced to graduate much later than originally planned. If you are able to work with your adviser to create a class schedule that allows for time off/reduced hours, then you need to speak with financial aid to see what their process is. Graduate school is generally designed for working adults, so I'm sure that something can be figured out.

Is it possible to continue with classes online? I know several people who have worked both in the parks and as a professional intern who are taking classes while working. It may be a little harder on the DCP since the hours tend to be more erratic, but not impossible.

Also, are you looking specifically at the DCP or have you considered doing a PI (professional internship)? These are geared toward a specific career rather than a theme park job, and are much more likely to be accepted as internship credits if needed. There are many positions available just for graduate students depending on what you are studying.

Sorry for all the questions! If you are NLIC'd, can you reapply six months from the date you first applied, or six months from the date you are NLIC'd?

For the DCP you can apply for the following term. The six months is for regular cast member jobs (6 months from applying) and for people who fail the web based interview (6 months from taking the interview).

For the DCP you can apply for the following term. The six months is for regular cast member jobs (6 months from applying) and for people who fail the web based interview (6 months from taking the interview).
Perfect! Thank you so much! :)

This is something you will have to speak with your school about, since every one is different

I would first go to your class adviser - they are the ones who can tell you if it's possible to take a semester/year off without interfering too much with the schedule. Some specialized classes may not be offered every semester/year, so you could be forced to graduate much later than originally planned. If you are able to work with your adviser to create a class schedule that allows for time off/reduced hours, then you need to speak with financial aid to see what their process is. Graduate school is generally designed for working adults, so I'm sure that something can be figured out.

Is it possible to continue with classes online? I know several people who have worked both in the parks and as a professional intern who are taking classes while working. It may be a little harder on the DCP since the hours tend to be more erratic, but not impossible.

Also, are you looking specifically at the DCP or have you considered doing a PI (professional internship)? These are geared toward a specific career rather than a theme park job, and are much more likely to be accepted as internship credits if needed. There are many positions available just for graduate students depending on what you are studying.

PI seems to be the better choice for me. However, i've read around the web that DCP is one of the best ways to get in and they've responded for a web interview while the PI is still in progress. I don't want to janitor or costume role playing, i do want to design however I'm thinking if i should just take the DCP before it goes away. I don't know. I'm studying Graphic Design by the way.

I'm curious about whether individuals with Asperger's have been successful in participating with the College Program - feel free to PM me if you have experience or know of participants and how it worked out. Thanks.

I'm curious about whether individuals with Asperger's have been successful in participating with the College Program - feel free to PM me if you have experience or know of participants and how it worked out. Thanks.

I don't know anyone in the CP who has it, but one of my regular FT co-workers does, and he does all right. He's spent a lot of time developing coping skills. Asperger's manifests differently in different people, though, so you (and your son) are really the best judge of how your son will do. Plenty of neurotypical kids have issues on the CP, if they've never:
- Worked a FT job
- Worked sometimes-long hours in sometimes-awful conditions
- Had to deal with public-ish transportation (if they don't bring a car)
- Had to manage their own money
- Had to do their own laundry and/or grocery shopping and/or cleaning
- Had to live with roommates
- Had to share a bedroom/bathroom

If you think he's up for all of that, he'll probably be fine.

It's possible- I did

I don't know anyone in the CP who has it, but one of my regular FT co-workers does, and he does all right. He's spent a lot of time developing coping skills. Asperger's manifests differently in different people, though, so you (and your son) are really the best judge of how your son will do. Plenty of neurotypical kids have issues on the CP, if they've never:
- Worked a FT job
- Worked sometimes-long hours in sometimes-awful conditions
- Had to deal with public-ish transportation (if they don't bring a car)
- Had to manage their own money
- Had to do their own laundry and/or grocery shopping and/or cleaning
- Had to live with roommates
- Had to share a bedroom/bathroom

If you think he's up for all of that, he'll probably be fine.

Thank you, these are helpful! He finishes his AA in December 2016 so he is considering applying for Spring 2017 before starting at University in August 2017. He would be 20 yrs old ... He thought that might be better than waiting until he is 21 because of housing.

It's possible- I did

That's wonderful to hear! Thank you for replying.

Hello! I am currently a high school senior and I have always really been interested in the program. I have been a complete 100% disney fan and I love visiting anything Disney! My biggest fear is if/when I am in the CP it will ruin "the magic" that comes with Disney. I am really afraid that working for Disney would take away from everything that makes Disney wonderful and amazing for me. Does anyone have any words of advice/encouragement?

Hello! I am currently a high school senior and I have always really been interested in the program. I have been a complete 100% disney fan and I love visiting anything Disney! My biggest fear is if/when I am in the CP it will ruin "the magic" that comes with Disney. I am really afraid that working for Disney would take away from everything that makes Disney wonderful and amazing for me. Does anyone have any words of advice/encouragement?

I don't know anyone who says this happened to them. Working at Disney REALLY enhanced the magic for me :)

After having been with Disney for over 11 years, it still hasn't ruined the magic for me (if anything, I find it more fascinating)

So! When I head down for my Fall program, I'm not bringing a car because I don't drive. I'm looking to get a Universal season pass when I'm there (I have to get my butterbeer fix... I'm weak), but I feel like I haven't seen a lot of discussion in my research about people without cars going to Universal all that often. Is there a way to get there via public transportation, or does it boil down to taking a taxi there? I'm currently living in NYC, so the idea of taking multiple forms of public transit to get anywhere isn't unfamiliar to me in the least. :) Thanks for the help!

So! When I head down for my Fall program, I'm not bringing a car because I don't drive. I'm looking to get a Universal season pass when I'm there (I have to get my butterbeer fix... I'm weak), but I feel like I haven't seen a lot of discussion in my research about people without cars going to Universal all that often. Is there a way to get there via public transportation, or does it boil down to taking a taxi there? I'm currently living in NYC, so the idea of taking multiple forms of public transit to get anywhere isn't unfamiliar to me in the least. :) Thanks for the help!
The IRide trolley has a stop right by the Outlet malls by Commons. You can take that and then walk for maybe 10 minutes? up to Universal. I took it several times, on my first program, when I wanted to make an impromptu trip to Universal but wasn't going with anyone with a car! And I'll definitely use it again during this program. Also with your ID, you pay the senior rate which is .25 cents! I can't recall the exact stop number you get off, but if you ask the driver they'll tell you. It also passes through Wet and Wild, Sea World, and all the little tourist trap attraction and game rooms on International Drive.

Has anyone ever applied from the UK? Is the application progress any different?

I had several friends who were ICP's (International College Programer's) during my program. I don't believe that they said their application process was much different, outside of providing documents to show they could come to the US and work.

However, as an ICP, I was told their role options are a bit more limited.

Okay I am a high school junior and have dreamed about being in the Program since I was about 8 years old. A few questions:
1. I am going to Disney in May. Is there anyway I can somehow talk to someone and get more information about the program? Almost like a college tour?
2. I would love nothing more than to be a character or work anywhere in MK (been my dream since I was 8 also haha) but I'm 5'1. What are the chances I would be able to be one of those things?

Okay I am a high school junior and have dreamed about being in the Program since I was about 8 years old. A few questions:
1. I am going to Disney in May. Is there anyway I can somehow talk to someone and get more information about the program? Almost like a college tour?
2. I would love nothing more than to be a character or work anywhere in MK (been my dream since I was 8 also haha) but I'm 5'1. What are the chances I would be able to be one of those things?

1. I don't think they have anything, they'll just tell you to check the website. They do sometimes host information sessions at some colleges.

2. The speaking roles I think are all taller but there are some fur characters that require shorter performers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!