College Program Parents Thread...

Sorry if this has been covered, but my son was accepted into the fall program and we are coming down with him in August to check him in. Does Disney provide any type of room and/or ticket discounts for families helping their kids move in?

Hi I tried doing a search but there are long threads to look thru. I am staying at contemporary and taking a cab with my daughter to check in. Is there an address I can give to the cab driver?
Thank you.

13501 Meadow Creek Drive
Orlando FL 32821

If you tell him Vista Way Apartments he may actually know where it is.

Sorry if this has been covered, but my son was accepted into the fall program and we are coming down with him in August to check him in. Does Disney provide any type of room and/or ticket discounts for families helping their kids move in?

There are no discounts available other than what is available to the general public.

They get their main gate passes and cast member discounts (merchandise, resorts, food, etc.) after they complete Traditions, which is after move in.

carol-lamb said:
They get their main gate passes and cast member discounts (merchandise, resorts, food, etc.) after they complete Traditions, which is after move in.

Which may not be for a few days after they move in...
Some kids go to traditions the next day, some don't for a day or two. I saw a couple of kids who didn't get to go for almost a week because of issues with paperwork. And it stinks because there's not a whole lot for them to do that doesn't cost $$ until they get their maingate (they can't go to the parks for free until they get their maingate) and it really stinks when they're the only one who doesn't have it!
DD didn't get to go to Traditions until day Four (with move in day being day one). So she had TWO down days...one wasn't bad, we did our shopping and all. But I felt like the other was totally wasted. It stunk!

Which may not be for a few days after they move in...
Some kids go to traditions the next day, some don't for a day or two. I saw a couple of kids who didn't get to go for almost a week because of issues with paperwork. And it stinks because there's not a whole lot for them to do that doesn't cost $$ until they get their maingate (they can't go to the parks for free until they get their maingate) and it really stinks when they're the only one who doesn't have it!
DD didn't get to go to Traditions until day Four (with move in day being day one). So she had TWO down days...one wasn't bad, we did our shopping and all. But I felt like the other was totally wasted. It stunk!

Just a clarification they will get their ID at Traditions. They will not get their maingate at traditions. Their ID will only get them in not family and friends. Their maingate will come in the mail 2 to 3 weeks after traditions.

Just a clarification they will get their ID at Traditions. They will not get their maingate at traditions. Their ID will only get them in not family and friends. Their maingate will come in the mail 2 to 3 weeks after traditions.

Seconded as many overlook this.

ID's are given out at Traditions, which is typically the 3rd or 4th day of the program.

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

wilkeliza said:

Thank you for correcting my terminology! I was thinking their 'blue ID card' was called their 'maingate' but you are right. The maingate is the card that allows them to take guests in. Thanks for correcting my misuse of the titles!!

:cool1: #1 son arrived safely in Orlando after a looong (14+ hours over two days) solo drive, is tucked away in a decent hotel about 15 minutes from Vista, and he's looking forward to checking in tomorrow morning. Best of luck to all the other May 20 starters out there! :thumbsup2

:cool1: #1 son arrived safely in Orlando after a looong (14+ hours over two days) solo drive, is tucked away in a decent hotel about 15 minutes from Vista, and he's looking forward to checking in tomorrow morning. Best of luck to all the other May 20 starters out there! :thumbsup2

My daughter checks in tomorrow too!!:yay:

My daughter checks in tomorrow too!!:yay:

Good luck to them :goodvibes, my dd checks in on the June 3rd :)

Well, dd just finished up her first year of college. She is more convinced that she wants to apply for the DCP in her senior year and hopefully be able to participate in that as soon as possible after graduation. Then, after time in the CP, she hopes to be offered a job and be at WDW for awhile.
She is a theatre major....so, any advice from parents with theatre major kids that did this?? She knows that she most likely won't get into entertainment....yes, she is pretty talented vocally and is a decent dancer, but she is 5'10'' with red hair, so realizes she will be limited.
I'm curious as to what her timing would be in senior year, with her graduation in mid-May. What programs would she be able to apply for?

Well, dd just finished up her first year of college. She is more convinced that she wants to apply for the DCP in her senior year and hopefully be able to participate in that as soon as possible after graduation. Then, after time in the CP, she hopes to be offered a job and be at WDW for awhile.
She is a theatre major....so, any advice from parents with theatre major kids that did this?? She knows that she most likely won't get into entertainment....yes, she is pretty talented vocally and is a decent dancer, but she is 5'10'' with red hair, so realizes she will be limited.
I'm curious as to what her timing would be in senior year, with her graduation in mid-May. What programs would she be able to apply for?

If she wants to apply for the program immediately following her graduation she would be applying for the Fall program. Applications for this program are usually released in late Jan or early Feb so she would apply at that time during her senior year.

Entertainment can be hard to get into. The CP only offers character performers which you need to attend an audition for. Your daughter might actually have a better chance because she is 5'10'' but it really depends on what they are looking for at the time.

Also I've never heard of anyone being offered a job from Disney. You have to do like everyone else and go to casting about 6 weeks prior to your program end and apply for different positions. The only time I heard of offers are very high up positions and people who are already in the company and already on transfer lists when a new project comes up.

If she wants to stay at WDW after it is worth trying for PIs and MIs as well as the CP. I tried for all 3 an first round got the CP an second time got further into PI an MI interview process but was only accepted for extension on my CP. I didn't take it but rather went seasonal with my position.

Also I've never heard of anyone being offered a job from Disney. You have to do like everyone else and go to casting about 6 weeks prior to your program end and apply for different positions. The only time I heard of offers are very high up positions and people who are already in the company and already on transfer lists when a new project comes up.

If she wants to stay at WDW after it is worth trying for PIs and MIs as well as the CP. I tried for all 3 an first round got the CP an second time got further into PI an MI interview process but was only accepted for extension on my CP. I didn't take it but rather went seasonal with my position.
I think 'offered' was the wrong choice of word!! I think I actually meant more like 'she wants to try to get a job there and stay on'!!

My son is a Theatre major and just finished his freshman year. He will be going for the Fall 2013 program on August 12. He is going to be working custodial. So it has nothing to do with his degree, but does involve a lot of guest interaction. He did audition for character. As someone else said, it depends a lot on height and what they are looking for at the time. He measured 5'11" I think, and progressed through the whole audition and wasn't taken. In his case I think he was too tall, and too short. LOL. Too tall for a lot of characters, and too short for the really tall ones.

If she will be graduating in May, she will be able to apply for Fall or Fall Advantage. Fall runs August-January 3 this year. Advantage runs May/June through January 3. Applications for this program opened in February this year.

jobro912 said:
My son is a Theatre major and just finished his freshman year. He will be going for the Fall 2013 program on August 12. He is going to be working custodial. So it has nothing to do with his degree, but does involve a lot of guest interaction. He did audition for character. As someone else said, it depends a lot on height and what they are looking for at the time. He measured 5'11" I think, and progressed through the whole audition and wasn't taken. In his case I think he was too tall, and too short. LOL. Too tall for a lot of characters, and too short for the really tall ones.

If she will be graduating in May, she will be able to apply for Fall or Fall Advantage. Fall runs August-January 3 this year. Advantage runs May/June through January 3. Applications for this program opened in February this year.

Well, the LOTS of GUEST INTERACTION depends!!!! Depends on whether he gets a park or a resort!!! Not all custodial CPs get assigned to a park! Some get placed at resorts and there isn't nearly as much guest interaction there! Just sayin.... ;)
Speaking from first hand experience of DD who is currently there!! :)

^^^ Yeah, that...here's hoping. :) He doesn't much care as long as he has that CM ID to get in on his days off. :cool1:

My son returned to Orlando and signed in last week to begin his second CP. He will be a lifeguard. His first program was wonderful and he is really looking forward working in a different position this time.

Sorry if this has been covered. I did scroll back through a couple of pages and did not see an answer.

My son checks in on May 27. I am wondering what sort of free time he will have on that day after check-in. We are planning to get supplies at Target or Walmart, but I am wondering if we would have time to get to a water park. We already have several non-expiring water park tickets.

Any advice about move in day from other parents would be appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter