CM missing from Wonder 03/22/11??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand wanting to offer your compassion when you see a cast member, however it could actually make it harder for them to do their job in the moment.

Please remember you are seeing the cast members when they are on duty and in public. They can not walk away if overwhelmed by emotion.

No one needs to be reminded of something emotionally difficult in public no matter how kind the thoughts of those expressing their concern. The purpose of offering compassion is to help the ones you are offering it to, not to distress them.

The best thing I can think of to help them would be to make sure you bring along the usual comfort goodies that cast is allowed to receive in appreciation and make sure to let them know they are appreciated. No mention need to be made of why.

My thoughts and prayers are with the crew and family.
Skye

I am simply saying that a mature, adult conversation (sans anything sensational or exploitative) about recent events can be helpful. Sometimes talking about things, rather than ignoring them, can be the best therapy.

I totally disagree. Many of the Youth program CMs are girls who are in their early 20s. How badly would you feel if you tried to have a mature conversation about it, all the while they were trying to put on a brave face simply to not burst out in tears?!

How difficult do you think it already is for someone that age to continue to go to work everyday, smile at the kids and passengers, without a stranger with a "naturally inquisitive" nature asking them about something which is so EMOTIONALLY FRESH in their minds. This was a friend of theirs.

I rarely rant on these boards, but I think your assumption someone else whose life has been PERSONALLY affected by this tragedy would be willing to have a conversation with you about it is quite presumptuous.

Have a heart, and leave them alone. Enjoy your cruise, and satisfy yourself by asking questions on these boards, not to the CMs who are personally affected by their co-worker's death.

I totally disagree. Many of the Youth program CMs are girls who are in their early 20s. How badly would you feel if you tried to have a mature conversation about it, all the while they were trying to put on a brave face simply to not burst out in tears?!

How difficult do you think it already is for someone that age to continue to go to work everyday, smile at the kids and passengers, without a stranger with a "naturally inquisitive" nature asking them about something which is so EMOTIONALLY FRESH in their minds. This was a friend of theirs.

I rarely rant on these boards, but I think your assumption someone else whose life has been PERSONALLY affected by this tragedy would be willing to have a conversation with you about it is quite presumptuous.

Have a heart, and leave them alone. Enjoy your cruise, and satisfy yourself by asking questions on these boards, not to the CMs who are personally affected by their co-worker's death.

Well said. I will take heed.

then perhaps you shouldn't let your kids/teens wonder the boat alone if you are so concerned. I'm just saying that I'm as responsible as I know to be and I'll know where my kid is. Do you expect Disney to be responsible for their guests as well? Anything can happen is my point. A fellow guest could do something unimaginable. You just don't know! But, you should know Disney is going to take this serious and it's not like they aren't going to do anything and investigate this. Even I have that faith in this company. I see them as a responsible company and I don't have any question about my upcoming cruise.

Is this directed to me? Frankly I wouldn't take a Disney cruise so this does not affect me one bit. My point was that some people were concerned in case there was a nutcase walking around the Wonder. If you have never seen a program about people including kids being attacked or kidnapped in many cases there were family members close to them. If that were the case they could choose to not take the cruise. It had nothing to do with Disney being responsible for anyone's kids.
For someone new to the boards you sure have developed an attitude mighty quickly.

You took the words out of mouth. This is something very personal that has happened to the CMs. Disney expects the staff to be in character at all times for the sake of their guests. The CM are very busy and there is no appropriate time or place for such questioning.

Is this directed to me? Frankly I wouldn't take a Disney cruise so this does not affect me one bit. My point was that some people were concerned in case there was a nutcase walking around the Wonder. If you have never seen a program about people including kids being attacked or kidnapped in many cases there were family members close to them. If that were the case they could choose to not take the cruise. It had nothing to do with Disney being responsible for anyone's kids.
For someone new to the boards you sure have developed an attitude mighty quickly.

Not to discount your opinion in any way but why are you on the DCL Board then?

As far as what positive has come from this thread? Very Little. Though I would say that very little negatives have come from this thread as well.

My comment wasn't directed towards this thread, the mods kept it civil. What positives have come from alerting CNN and/or other media outlets?

My comment wasn't directed towards this thread, the mods kept it civil. What positives have come from alerting CNN and/or other media outlets?

My answer would be the same, very little. Some might say that the public deserves to know because of the safety concerns, I personally think that's overblown but who am I to judge what others may feel about the security of their children.

This truly is a sad story but its no more sad than many other deaths yesterday, life goes on for the rest of us and those sailing the Wonder in the next few weeks will no doubt have a great time.

I agree with you.

I am so saddened about this whole story. I hope for the family that someone is able to piece together what happened and let them begin to build on that news.I cannot imagine having any of my children go missing in a foreign country and me be helpless hoping and praying for some news.

With that said, for the curious and tactful who want to start a conversation with a crew member regarding this, please don't. A few years ago I worked with a woman from Pennsylvania, she went missing during our Christmas holiday, and her body was "found" by as it turns out..the person who put it there. This was so tramatic for everyone involved who knew and loved this woman, every conversation that we had about her led to tears and more anxiety. We finally stopped talking about it and eventually enough time passed to remember her in fond ways, and the anxiety is now more a sad reminder of how evil can creep its way into all of our lives.

I am hopeful that Disney will provide grief counselors as well as any help the crew will need as time unfolds the events of this story. But please no matter how curious you are, please don't expect the crew to talk to you about this, look how high the emotions are running on this board, and we did not interact with her at a full time job. Discretion and mercy are called for in this situation.

Sounds like family members were talking at a press conference and are still holding out hope that she will be found somewhere on the ship....

"We can’t believe it.

"The ship is huge - I am telling you that they haven’t searched the whole ship. When it docks we hope they will find her."

When the Wonder returns to L.A. Sunday morning, what will happen? Will it be business as usual, passengers on and off? Or will different events occur? Will they have to search the ship again? I can't imagine what the scene down there will be like Sunday morning. I imagine there will be television crews, as we've seen they're already reporting from there already. It doesn't seem Disney has canceled the 03/27/11 sailing but will the turn around be the same?

When the Wonder returns to L.A. Sunday morning, what will happen? Will it be business as usual, passengers on and off? Or will different events occur? Will they have to search the ship again? I can't imagine what the scene down there will be like Sunday morning. I imagine there will be television crews, as we've seen they're already reporting from there already. It doesn't seem Disney has canceled the 03/27/11 sailing but will the turn around be the same?

I suspect that there may be some delays. I read that the family has already flown into LA with every intention of searching the ship themselves when it docks at the port. Although I will be on that ship come Sunday, I can't say I blame them for wanting to do so.

Unfortunately, sounds like the next cruise will be a media circus.

BRAVO ZULU -well said. When we see the cast memebrs thay are on duty and must be 100% professional. DCL is known to be extremely strict regarding their standards for crew behaviour when in the public eye. They try and maintain some seperation from their limited private time.

If someone close to you is in trouble would you want to talk about it with someone you met at home depot or the mall? Especially if you could not say "$#^#$^" if you wanted to ?

:grouphug: to all involved

How horrible for the CM and her family and co workers. Any updates?? I just saw this and I skimmed through. So sad!!

I suspect that there may be some delays. I read that the family has already flown into LA with every intention of searching the ship themselves when it docks at the port. Although I will be on that ship come Sunday, I can't say I blame them for wanting to do so.

If the family does show up at the pier Sunday with the press in tow, Disney will potentially be looking at a quickly escalating P.R. debacle. I suspect the lights are burning late tonight in certain offices in Burbank. popcorn::

If the family does show up at the pier Sunday with the press in tow, Disney will potentially be looking at a quickly escalating P.R. debacle. I suspect the lights are burning late tonight in certain offices in Burbank. popcorn::

I live half a mile from Disney head office.. Note that the burning would most likely be happening in DCL office in FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter