Club 33 Lunch- tell me everything!

My first visit was also out of the blue. A friend asked what we were doing for my son's 21st birthday. I said "Well, I've been on the list to join Club 33 for YEARS, but since it hadn't come thru, likely Goofy's." She said "You know about Club 33? Would you want to go for his birthday?" And that was the beginning of my visits.
That's so cool! I'm taking my daughter on the 28th for her 21st birthday :). She actually turned 21 back in June, but covid and various other impediments stalled our celebration at 33. I've felt guilty that it turned out she essentially got nothing but an IOU on her birthday, but so glad we're able to do it at last.

This is all very helpful! I will reach out to my various networks! Thanks for the positive feedback!

I heard the way to get in was to essentially ask everyone you know. The very first time I did this at work, someone posted the request on a Slack for folks who he used to work with and the founder of the company responded.

I’ve been three times for my birthday as a guest of members I’ve never met! A few years ago, I wished a client a happy belated birthday and asked what she’d done to celebrate, and she said she’d visited the Club using her husband’s corporate membership. I’d been discreetly looking for a member for 4 years at that point, and I told her I’d always wanted to go. Her husband invited me, and I spent my 33rd birthday there with 8 friends!

I’ve been back twice in the last few years because I’ve learned that two people I work with are the adult children of members. I’ve found that these aren’t the people you would usually expect to be members of a semi-secret private club, so yes, asking around may lead to surprising results!

My advice for lunch, after visiting in October: dress up (not everyone does anymore, but it’s fun), arrive hungry but not “hangry”, so you can enjoy the relaxed pace of the multi-course meal, take pictures only where you are allowed to, and be sure to thank your cast members and host for the special experience!

I refused to ask people, BUT I let everyone know I was/am a huge Disney fan and I would talk about the Club. And as GoldeneyezCA said, too many people have expectations of Club members. I know Club members who are police, military (usually retired), teachers, farmers, mechanics, engineers, attorneys, dentists, and yes, there are celebs also. Yep, celebs who are not Disney legends, pay their way and are treated like every other member.

When you have an invitation, take your time, relax, thank everyone (Club CMs are incredible and have been there a long time and will comment back to the person who referred you) take plenty of pics, minding the rules (no bathroom, no pics of people not in your party, no videography), and get the merchandise you want as it might not be there later.

I refused to ask people, BUT I let everyone know I was/am a huge Disney fan and I would talk about the Club. And as GoldeneyezCA said, too many people have expectations of Club members. I know Club members who are police, military (usually retired), teachers, farmers, mechanics, engineers, attorneys, dentists, and yes, there are celebs also. Yep, celebs who are not Disney legends, pay their way and are treated like every other member.

When you have an invitation, take your time, relax, thank everyone (Club CMs are incredible and have been there a long time and will comment back to the person who referred you) take plenty of pics, minding the rules (no bathroom, no pics of people not in your party, no videography), and get the merchandise you want as it might not be there later.

I totally agree...I would just feel awkward and weird asking if someone was a member and if they could get me in. A friend of my husband knew a member and when he found out we were huge Disneyland fans, he said he'd see if his friend would make us a reservation at the Club. Well, not only did this kind person make a reservation for our family, he happily offered to do so whenever we were going to be visiting the park! Of course we didn't want to take advantage of this persons kindness, so would only ask on special occasions. We had several lovely visits (pre-remodel) and feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity. Sadly, this person is no longer a club member. I do have a lovely friend who was able to get us a reservation for our daughters 16th birthday a few years ago, but her connection (understandably) does not typically make reservations for people he doesn't know. I sure do hope to have the opportunity to visit the club again someday - it is always a magical and amazing experience - but if not, I have incredible memories of past visits!☺

OMG, the suspense in my case was killing me.

My friend spontaneously made the initial offer several weeks ago. She asked if we would like to go to Club 33. I enthusiastically said YES PLEASE. She asked our dates (we got the SoCal Three Day resident pass) and I told her, then…. Crickets.

I saw her several more times and she didn’t bring it up.

Then she asked for my dates again. Yay!

Then… Crickets.

I saw her last weekend again and she didn’t bring it up. Oh well. I was resigned to not going after all.

Then Monday she texted me to ask my dates again, and Bingo! 15 min later we had the reservation!

So lucky. We’ve been in SoCal for 15 years now, hoping we’d get an invite some day.

Our connection is through wirehaired dachshunds. I have competed my dogs in dachshund field trials for several years. She showed up this year as a newby with her young dog and I volunteered to show her the ropes, went out into the field with her the first couple of times, made sure she knew what to do. Her dog has actually done pretty well and won his class the last time out. So excited for her.

We are also both trying our hand at regular conformation dog shows, learning those ropes together. We are kind of on the same page in that both of us are non intimidated by the show ring but still awkward newbies. Her boy dog has a big crush on my puppy girl dog, they are very cute together.

My friend spontaneously made the initial offer several weeks ago. She asked if we would like to go to Club 33. I enthusiastically said YES PLEASE. She asked our dates (we got the SoCal Three Day resident pass) and I told her, then…. Crickets.

Then… Crickets.

I saw her last weekend again and she didn’t bring it up. Oh well. I was resigned to not going after all.

Then Monday she texted me to ask my dates again, and Bingo! 15 min later we had the reservation!

So lucky. We’ve been in SoCal for 15 years now, hoping we’d get an invite some day.

Our connection is through wirehaired dachshunds. I have competed my dogs in dachshund field trials for several years. She showed up this year as a newby with her young dog and I volunteered to show her the ropes, went out into the field with her the first couple of times, made sure she knew what to do. Her dog has actually done pretty well and won his class the last time out. So excited for her.

We are also both trying our hand at regular conformation dog shows, learning those ropes together. We are kind of on the same page in that both of us are non intimidated by the show ring but still awkward newbies. Her boy dog has a big crush on my puppy girl dog, they are very cute together.
This is such a great story! I hope you have the best time. P.S. I am the former editor of a show dog magazine, so I totally get your scene! 😆 It is a unique and very fun hobby!

Very cool! I'm a fellow dog sport person, but agility :-). Visiting Club 33 is a dream of mine, but I'm on the east coast, so I don't think I'll be running into a member anytime soon!

I met my club 33 friend on DIS! It started when I had a chance to spend a few days with a close friend's parents in Santa Monica. My friend's dad was a Disney Legend and had recently published a book about it, and my friend, knowing my love of Disney, invited me to come stay with them at their home and see all of the cool Disney stuff his dad had. It was absolutely incredible. I asked if his dad would be interested in signing some books for my DIS friends, and his dad was so excited at that he even told me to invite them to come to his house. The books hadn't been distributed yet so we got them fresh out of the boxes, hand signed right there at his table. He performed some lines from his shows, made some of his funny faces, and did a bit of Jose the parrot. His office was full of things from his apartment in Disneyland (including a piano) , props from his Golden Horseshoe show, gifts from Walt Disney, etc. Now, the thing is that he was suffering from dementia, but he absolutely came alive at this opportunity to meet admirers and you would never have known. He'd carefully gotten ready and all morning he'd been waiting expectantly for his fans. My friend told me afterward that even though it wore him out, it was the happiest he'd seen him in a long time.

When I got home, I wrote about it on DIS (and so did Webmaster Mary Jo, who was there that day). Turns out that another DISer read my report and contacted me because this guy was his hero! He wasn't on the board very often due to his work, but he spotted my post and had a lot of questions. He was disappointed he hadn't known about it and was such a huge fan that I sent him some things my friend had given me that were his dad's.

He was very appreciative and we became great friends as he asked me all kinds of questions about his idol. He also turned out to be a club member and that's how it happened for me. He hasn't been on DIS in a long time but we're still great friends. I'm glad I didn't know he was a club Member when he first contacted me because he knows I didn't share those special items for that reason.

I'm sorry for this long, rambling post but was trying to say that sometimes things happen in very unexpected ways. The best thing wasn't getting to go to 33. That was an extra perk.
That was such a special visit, and I consider it one of my Disney highlights, and I remember that he wore a suit and had such a special twinkle in his eye. I'll always appreciate you for this experience. :love:

Then… Crickets.

Excuse me but where's the dog tax 👀? I keep hearing about dogs but not seeing them ;)

Really glad to hear it's worked out and your sincere act of kindness led to a chance not many get. You're going to love it!

I'm still sad they were sold out of the lapel pin when I went. But I got many other amazing souvenirs including a birthday card signed by all the CMs working that day that I absolutely cherish.

No one is exaggerating how amazing the CMs are that work at C33. Our server was one personally requested by the people I went with and he really put me at ease (he even had some fun teasing the kitchen because of how I ordered my courses; they thought for sure he'd messed up my order LOL; I really appreciated that kitchen CMs I had not met were looking out for me, though). I never asked to go nor did I even drop hints, but thankfully my friend's parents knew I would jump at the chance to go :rotfl:

7C9482A1-903B-473E-B053-2659720973AF.jpeg

Auntie Ash on the left, puppy Smoke in the middle, and Mama Phoenix on the right, Phoenix is Smokes mama, we bred her to Ash’s liitermate brother.

56D33C75-F9CD-4F22-B9A7-3EBB9783E27A.jpeg

Here they are back in December, when all three passed their Hunt Tests. So proud of them.

A843782E-A358-45E2-AC84-FA65879C5473.jpeg

This is baby Smoke. She was our first litter. There were two pups but sadly her brother died at 5 days of age. We bred her because of her mamas hunting chops and so far she is an extraordinary little Field Trial dog. She finished her Field Championship at 7 months of age, in three weekends of trialing, with three first places and one second place. Finishing so young is pretty uncommon, they can’t even start until theyre 6 months old

Smoke is her call name but her actual name is Field Champion Briarwire’s Trial by Fire MW. Lol after she finished her FC, two weeks later she came back and took first place on Sat and 2d place Sun Running in the field champion class. Beat bit her mama and her auntie by a good measure. ❤

Last edited:
OP, I'm so sorry to have hijacked your thread. I do hope you have a wonderful, wonderful time :wizard:

Thank you for posting those pics, Mary Jo!!

Those dogs, though!! :goodvibes I love the shots!!

It's always so fun to hear how people got their chance to go to the club. FWIW, I personally don't think it's good form to ask an individual member for a reservation. If they know you, they'll know your interest in going. I'm not sure how the corporate memberships work, but that might be an exception. As Malcon 10t said, the best thing is being open about your passion for DL.

Individual members have strict rules tied to their membership. It's a big expense and they are responsible for ANYONE who goes to the club under their name. If a guest commits a breach of the rules, whether knowingly or not, it can go back on the member and can cause a lot of harm and can even get the membership revoked. That's a big responsibility and as you can imagine, most members are very hesitant to grant reservations to people they don't know. I once did something that brought out the manager or some such person in charge; my sister and I were at a table next to a group of 4 guys. One of them said something to us, as we'd all been waiting outside for our reservation and had chatted a bit before going in. The manager swooped in and apologized to us for the men and was going to kick them out. My sister and I were horrified and assured him that it had all been a friendly exchange, but that was a rule all of us broke without even realizing it. I don't think they (or the member, anyway) got dinged and they didn't have to leave, but it was a pretty tense moment and I felt awkward for the rest of the meal. So if you go to the Club, I wouldn't interact with anyone outside of the people at your table and the staff once you're in the dining room.

There are also different membership levels, and at least some of them have a finite number of reservations they can make in a year if they aren't going to be present.

I have also learned from the members I know that they are so often approached about reservations that many tend to keep quiet about their membership. If I were a member, I'd not want to risk making reservations for people I didn't know well. My member friend is a farmer, not wealthy or famous, but he likes to play "Fairy Godfather" (his term) if he sees an opportunity to reciprocate kindness/generosity; it isn't people who ask.

I have also learned from the members I know that they are so often approached about reservations that many tend to keep quiet about their membership. If I were a member, I'd not want to risk making reservations for people I didn't know well. My member friend is a farmer, not wealthy or famous, but he likes to play "Fairy Godfather" (his term) if he sees an opportunity to reciprocate kindness/generosity; it isn't people who ask.
In addition, members are limited to 20 unaccompanied dining reservations a year. Many keep those for close family and friends. So, you really need to be a good, trusted friend.

That is so incredibly sweet!

OP, your dogs are just lovely! So great when proven working dogs also get in the show ring. Best of luck with your darling Dachshunds!

In addition, members are limited to 20 unaccompanied dining reservations a year. Many keep those for close family and friends. So, you really need to be a good, trusted friend.

I think it's actually 30, but your point is still valid. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter