Cleaning Question

LeftCoaster

DIS Veteran
In the past, I've only stayed in studios so, I have a question now that I'm staying in a 2 bedroom.
We will be doing some cooking on this trip. Definately breakfast every day. Do they still give you that small sponge like you get in the studios or do you get a bigger one? I was wondering if we needed to bring / buy more sponges to clean the dishes with.

You get the same size sponge in the 2 bedroom as you do in the studios. Housekeeping will bring you another if you so request. I try to bring along a dishcloth for our trips home - those sponges aren't the best for wiping up counters and tables. JMHO, YMMV.

Best wishes-

P.S. I don't use the sponges for the dishes - those all go in the dishwasher!

I also bring a dish cloth with me to wipe up the counters and table as the sponge is too small to do the job. You could also bring handiwipes and toss them at the end of your trip.

Do they still give you that small sponge like you get in the studios or do you get a bigger one? I was wondering if we needed to bring / buy more sponges to clean the dishes with.

I believe it's the same size, but with the sponge, paper towels and detergent/dishwasher -- you should be fine. :)

If all your cleaning is dishes, you should be fine. If you're bringing a crockpot, bring extra sponges.

I was just in a studio at the BWV and there was no sponge at all. No dishwashing liquid or dish towel either.

When I got home - I took out the member book (the skinny new version) and it basically said that it will be supplied on request in a studio.

So - you can ask for a sponge, or bring your own sponge. I suppose you could also borrow a sponge from somewhere.

You know - that's a funny word when you say it so many times!

SPONGE!

I think I'll make that my word of the week!

:goodvibes

LOL, Kathleena! I guess it IS a funny word to say over and over again.

I have to gree that the sponge is not something that I consider large enough to wipe down counters and the table with. I usually only use it for cleaning pots, pans and dishes. I usually "borrow" a wash cloth from the master bedroom for wipe downs.

You don't want to use a sponge to wipe the table, anyway. After a few uses it's one of the germiest objects in your dwelling--something a lot of people don't realize. Use a sponge for cleaning gunk off dishes while you wash them, but use something antibacterial or at least throwaway for wiping food preparation and serving surfaces. (There will be a quiz.)

LOL, this thread is making me think of the commercial where the lady is wiping the kitchen with the chicken thigh! :rotfl:

Love the sponge! The sponge is great... You can get as many as you want from housekeeping.

rocketriter said:
You don't want to use a sponge to wipe the table, anyway. After a few uses it's one of the germiest objects in your dwelling--something a lot of people don't realize. Use a sponge for cleaning gunk off dishes while you wash them, but use something antibacterial or at least throwaway for wiping food preparation and serving surfaces. (There will be a quiz.)

I know what you mean! I put my kitchen sponge in the dishwasher every other cycle to get it cleaned and sanitized.

kathleena said:
I was just in a studio at the BWV and there was no sponge at all. No dishwashing liquid or dish towel either.
I quess someone figured you were not 'sponge worthy' to quote Elaine. :rotfl2:

Wow. Ask a simple question and get a plethora of answers. Since we've gone on a bit of a tangent, at home, I rarely ever use a sponge due to the whole icky, gross factor. I figure on vacation, it's only a few days, I can live life dangerously.

LeftCoaster said:
Wow. Ask a simple question and get a plethora of answers. Since we've gone on a bit of a tangent, at home, I rarely ever use a sponge due to the whole icky, gross factor. I figure on vacation, it's only a few days, I can live life dangerously.

I think sponges are icky also. I like a disposable wipe such as was mentioned above. I have a package in my home away from home kit - the stuff I always bring on vacation. I don't even use the sponge. Speaking of vacation, it's time to start checking my supplies - only about 5 weeks before our food and wine trip!

Hey, are the cleaning supplies mentioned what will be available at a GV also?

We're headed out at the end of next week, and there's no way I want to be sharing one sponge with 12 people for a week. I need to know if I should be packing more cleaning supplies.

Thanks!

Laurabearz said:
I quess someone figured you were not 'sponge worthy' to quote Elaine. :rotfl2:

LOL

The rub of it is - when I called to ask about some stuff for the kitchenette, I was basically told "well you don't have a kitchen do you?"

That reminds me, I never did write to the resort manager about that one. Need to do that.

Ah, well. Funny how a group of folks can have a conversations around sponges, isn't it?

Judique said:
I think sponges are icky also. I like a disposable wipe such as was mentioned above. I have a package in my home away from home kit - the stuff I always bring on vacation. I don't even use the sponge. Speaking of vacation, it's time to start checking my supplies - only about 5 weeks before our food and wine trip!

Ya, know, that's a great idea for home use. At WDW, i figure the sponge is new (it's usually packaged isn't it? can't remember).

Have a great trip - sounds like we will be there around the same time!

Judique said:
I'm a new DVC member and am interested to know what is in your "home away from home kit". I want to put together a list of things to pack (or buy at the grocery store once we get there). Thanks!

LisaS said:
I'm a new DVC member and am interested to know what is in your "home away from home kit". I want to put together a list of things to pack (or buy at the grocery store once we get there). Thanks!
We have coffee filters, tea, picnic type salt and peppers, plastic wrap (press N seal) and coffee. The press N seal can be used to store any type of leftovers without needing a more elaborate container. We also have filter water bottles that we take to the parks in that kit, as well as our favorite brand of laundry detergent. Everything else we need is either already there, or food that we buy at the grocery after we arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter