Class of 2021 Parents

How did your kids do on their AP exams?

DS did good on 3 out of the 4 that he took, but had one pretty big disappointment -- AP Lang -- he hated the prompt and didn't feel he did well -- he was right. It's disheartening since he did so well in the class.

How are your seniors coping with the unknowns if this upcoming school year?
My DD did well on AP Lang, 5, 3 on APUSH and 2 on Environmental Science. She didn't study so I guess that's not horrible It was such a crazy time that I didn't really force her. It's hard to judge knowledge on one question. She also had hoped the teachers would review virtually since they normally do that in person but they didn't. So she wasn't super motivated and didn't know where to begin for a one prompt test Thankfully she will get credit for the one.
We are in NJ so as of right now we are going back in some sort of hybrid schedule. She is excited for that but very depressed as she knows there will be no last homecoming, last school play, all the fun senior stuff. Thankfully she is working this summer because that really helped her mood and state of mind.

My DD did well on AP Lang, 5, 3 on APUSH and 2 on Environmental Science. She didn't study so I guess that's not horrible It was such a crazy time that I didn't really force her. It's hard to judge knowledge on one question. She also had hoped the teachers would review virtually since they normally do that in person but they didn't. So she wasn't super motivated and didn't know where to begin for a one prompt test Thankfully she will get credit for the one.
We are in NJ so as of right now we are going back in some sort of hybrid schedule. She is excited for that but very depressed as she knows there will be no last homecoming, last school play, all the fun senior stuff. Thankfully she is working this summer because that really helped her mood and state of mind.
I was hoping for a hybrid schedule, but we are fully virtual til January 29- end of 1st semester. :(

My DD did horrible on her US govt AP Test. She ended up with a 1 on it. I don't know how the heck they score that, but her AP teacher and I both called and asked for a rescore on her test.

School district offered a virtual school option and an in person option for families. We choose the in person option. I am hearing that schedules won't be what they normally are because they need to social distance kids so I'm waiting to hear what classes she actually got vs what she picked.

Marching band started back up, but they are not doing competitions. They will only be doing football games and that is if we get football games at this point.

DD has been busy applying to colleges. We have acceptances to Missouri State, Kansas State, University of Kansas, Mizzou, and Murray State so far. We are waiting on Pitt, SIUC, Indiana State, and Vanderbilt.

Well, senior pictures happened a few weeks ago, got proofs today in email. Can't believe this time is here. Seems surreal especially since they are virtual 1st semester. I love them!! We went big, got cap/gown, drape, outfit, and basketball uniform. Don't know if there will be a senior season, so wanted it all. 518560

:cake: Just popping in to wish our little thread a happy 3rd birthday! Thanks @JustCallMeMommy for starting it! It’s fun to look back sometimes, isn’t it? So my senior can go online today to meet his teachers virtually, as this was to be the first day of school. His school is remote three days a week and in person two days a week. He is thrilled to at least be going to school twice a week, for however long this will last. He got the two English classes he needs in order to graduate in December, so at least that is still happening. He has four AP classes this semester, but at least I don’t have to pay for the AP exams because he won’t be taking them next spring! Two weeks ago I did his athletic registration for soccer. The very next day the school announced that athletics will be split into four different seasons, and soccer is getting moved to a March 1 start. So no more soccer for him, but he doesn’t really seem to mind because he can get more after school hours at work. And he has no interest in doing the whole senior photo shoot thing, which is fine with me.

I hope everyone has a smooth start to the school year, whatever that looks like for you! I kind of can’t believe we’ve reached this point!

It’s looking like virtual until November. Senior portraits usually start in June, haven’t heard a thing. They've been going to soccer captains practices, but I’m afraid they will stop now that school will be virtual (instead of 2 mornings a week). I’m really very sad. It’s funny, my kids have more than enough crudest to graduate now, except they be missing an English class. However, I’d rather online HS instead of the online college dd19 is doing.

SATs cancelled AGAIN here for this Saturday. Completely frustrating! I have no idea how this is going to affect the application process. I know many schools are “test optional” but many use the SAT for scholarships. Have your students been able to take it yet?

SATs cancelled AGAIN here for this Saturday. Completely frustrating! I have no idea how this is going to affect the application process. I know many schools are “test optional” but many use the SAT for scholarships. Have your students been able to take it yet?
In January, but it was a baseline. Since then they’ve be signed up and canceled 3 times, signed up for October. One college Dd is highly considering (dd19’s college) is public but OOS with very high OOS tuition. She needs a 1500 for the scholarship she needs to attend, she’s 100 points short. Her tutor was very confident she’d reach her goal on the March exam. Ds is probably just going to stay in state public so he’s ok.

Our SAT's have been cancelled also for August, since the schools in our district and surrounding areas are all virtual 1st semester, pretty sure the other months SAT's will be cancelled too. DD doesn't do well anyway on those type tests, so honestly probably better for her. She is almost done with college apps and will be ready to submit soon. She did get to visit all of the colleges she is applying for- so we're glad about that!
Her high school also went from and A/B schedule to "4" classes each semester. She only has 3 first semester and 2.5 second semester. So it will be different for them. She does basketball and track, we'll see if we go back in the 2nd semester to have those. They are trying to do all 3 sports seasons in 2nd semester possibly. Ughhhh, so crazy

It’s looking like virtual until November. Senior portraits usually start in June, haven’t heard a thing. They've been going to soccer captains practices, but I’m afraid they will stop now that school will be virtual (instead of 2 mornings a week). I’m really very sad. It’s funny, my kids have more than enough crudest to graduate now, except they be missing an English class. However, I’d rather online HS instead of the online college dd19 is doing.
I was happy to actually get them done, surprised they did them. Meanwhile $460 later(and that's with the discount) LOL

I was happy to actually get them done, surprised they did them. Meanwhile $460 later(and that's with the discount) LOL
Lol our portraits are done in the same studio I had moping done, 10 proofs, cap and gown, drape for girls, tux for guys, I purchase 1 5 x 7 for $75 and that’s it.

I found out that a photographer comes to the school in late October to do senior photos for anyone who isn't doing them on their own. So at least they'll take a standard photo for the yearbook. He came home one day last week with a huge packet of info on ordering class rings, cap and gown, announcements, etc. He has no interest in any of it, so I'm saving a ton of money there! As last year's in-school SAT day was snowed out not once, but twice, he'll sit for it in-school in October. My own alma mater just went test optional, as so many schools are doing now!

They were still having senior portraits, but my DD didn't want any. She'll have a friend take some decent "senior" photos--my oldest did this, as well--and then she'll get the yearbook shot next month. She hasn't said a word about class rings, so I'm probably good there, too.

She still hasn't been inducted into the National Honor Society--but then again, they aren't bugging her for service hours or anything, either. And IB cut back the amount of required service/activity hours, as well.

On the good side, classes seem to be going well for her. And she's been at least working on the common ap for college--she's shown very little initiative/interest, but has so much school work, I hate to nag. I keep hearing, "I got it, Mom!" Stay tuned for the last-minute anxiety attack that I'll have to work through with her!

SAT's got cancelled again in my area, and they refunded the money. None of the schools DD is applying to are requiring the scores, so we are just not doing them. She's almost done with the common app for all her schools but 1(they do a regular app), waiting for a few recommendations. She started virtual school this week, only has 3 classes- 2 days a week, and 2 classes - 2 days a week, they are all off on Wednesdays for independent study. At least for this semester. So crazy. Next semester- they MAY be back in school, she'll have 3 different classes

And DD turns 18 tomorrow, how did this happen so fast??? :(

My kids have 4 virtual classes each day, from 9 - 12:30. Soccer officially starts Monday. The soccer booster club is trying to arrange a senior photo to be used at senior night and made into a gift for them. Senior night is usually at one of the last home games of the season, but will be at the first or second home game. Senior NYC harbor cruise cancelled. There is google meet for senior parents at 1:30 today.

DS hasn't been able to take SAT or ACT yet but all the schools he's applying to have waived it for this year. So one less thing to worry about. First quarter is entirely online, they have a block schedule so four blocks a day. In normal times, they're about 80 min each but now they have 60 min of live instruction on video followed by a 25 min "flex" time. Wednesdays are asynchronous learning, no classes. All sports have been postponed til the winter with abbreviated seasons (if they happen at all). Not what we wanted for senior year, of course. I just hope they get some of the traditional senior experience this year. He's got all his personal info uploaded to common and coalition apps and has a spreadsheet for essays, reccs (one teacher already put them in the common app!) so hopefully this will go smoothly.

My dd was supposed to start school in the building this past Thursday in a hybrid schedule (in NJ so we always start after Labor Day) but 2 weeks ago they changed it to all virtual as they didn't have enough staff to staff the building. They have a half day virtual block schedule 8:24-12:50 with all Google meet instruction. I'm working from home and I sat outside her door to listen to a few! : ) Senior yearbook pictures are postponed until November/December but no actual date. Her school is going to hold an SAT test in a few weeks. She is also registered for one in a different town that Saturday. So she might be taking them twice in one week! She wants to get to take them as silly as it sounds, since so much has been taken away and potentially to be taken away. She isn't into sports so she is awaiting on word if drama and other clubs will be happening (I doubt drama). As well as what is going on with NHS volunteer hours. She has finished pretty much all of her college applications but keeps starting her essay over. She is a great writer but for some reason feels her essay isn't good enough. We still have some colleges to visit so hoping for the best! This is definitely not the senior year any of us envisioned as we started to share within this group! Here is hoping that they have somewhat of a senior year and don't lose the entire thing!

My dd was supposed to start school in the building this past Thursday in a hybrid schedule (in NJ so we always start after Labor Day) but 2 weeks ago they changed it to all virtual as they didn't have enough staff to staff the building. They have a half day virtual block schedule 8:24-12:50 with all Google meet instruction. I'm working from home and I sat outside her door to listen to a few! : ) Senior yearbook pictures are postponed until November/December but no actual date. Her school is going to hold an SAT test in a few weeks. She is also registered for one in a different town that Saturday. So she might be taking them twice in one week! She wants to get to take them as silly as it sounds, since so much has been taken away and potentially to be taken away. She isn't into sports so she is awaiting on word if drama and other clubs will be happening (I doubt drama). As well as what is going on with NHS volunteer hours. She has finished pretty much all of her college applications but keeps starting her essay over. She is a great writer but for some reason feels her essay isn't good enough. We still have some colleges to visit so hoping for the best! This is definitely not the senior year any of us envisioned as we started to share within this group! Here is hoping that they have somewhat of a senior year and don't lose the entire thing!
Our HS is having SAT’s for just seniors in a couple of weeks, and my kids are scheduled for the regular ones the week after. Yearbook photos usually start in June but are postponed. My daughter drove by the football field today, football team and cheerleaders were there getting team and individual pictures done (guys in uniforms and suits), nothing scheduled for the other sports at all (mine play soccer and run track).

DS hasn't been able to take SAT or ACT yet but all the schools he's applying to have waived it for this year. So one less thing to worry about. First quarter is entirely online, they have a block schedule so four blocks a day. In normal times, they're about 80 min each but now they have 60 min of live instruction on video followed by a 25 min "flex" time. Wednesdays are asynchronous learning, no classes. All sports have been postponed til the winter with abbreviated seasons (if they happen at all). Not what we wanted for senior year, of course. I just hope they get some of the traditional senior experience this year. He's got all his personal info uploaded to common and coalition apps and has a spreadsheet for essays, reccs (one teacher already put them in the common app!) so hopefully this will go smoothly.
Pretty much sound exactly like us!!! Same schedule and all. LOL

We're dealing with NHS volunteer hours too. She also has them for NEHS, they have providing some info for that at least.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter