Chronic pain and methadone

If you do bring anything with you, make sure it’s in the original bottle with the Rx label on it.

I am stunned at how the word "pain" easily triggers a flow of opioid pain relief prescriptions with most doctors. It's so wrong.

Meanwhile, my friend with CRPS who actually needs them because NOTHING else works (and he’s tried it all over 17 years) is being forced off of even methadone. He’s literally on 2.5mg per day at this point, and that’s just too much for them, and they have no viable help for him beyond that. It’s atrocious. Sometimes the big stuff is actually needed. He sure wishes he’d find a doc like that...

Meanwhile, my friend with CRPS who actually needs them because NOTHING else works (and he’s tried it all over 17 years) is being forced off of even methadone. He’s literally on 2.5mg per day at this point, and that’s just too much for them, and they have no viable help for him beyond that. It’s atrocious. Sometimes the big stuff is actually needed. He sure wishes he’d find a doc like that...

I think part of it is geographical. There are certain states where it seems like the doctors are *much* more apt to prescribe opioids, and I live in one of the worst ones. Sadly, it appears that the backlash from the overprescription of opioid painkillers will be that the population who is actually best served by that class of drugs will have a more difficult time getting the medicine that they need.

My husband and I are planning a trip to WDW in June 2020. Both of us currently go to our local clinic daily. We will be flying to Orlando and staying on property. I am trying to get everything planned out early. I want to be able to find a clinic that is close to where we will be staying because we I'll have to take LYFT to and from the clinic since we won't be drivig. I am wondering will LYFT pick us up early in the morning so we can make it back to the park for rope drop? I know my husband and I aren't the only people who go to a clinic daily that has taken a vacation to WDW. If anyone of you guys have what did you do and how did it go.. Sorry for all the rambling I just want to make sure everything stays on track with our recovery. It has been 18 months!!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Lyft should be available 24/7.

You shouldn't expect that anyone else needing a methadone clinic will be at your resort, wanting to go to the same clinic at the same time, and be willing to share the ride. You could choose the Shared Ride option, since there will just be the two of you, but it's probably better just to budget for the rides.

My daughter used Methadone to get thru a total knee replacement, she had (finally) gotten off opiates and did not want to use them to get thru the surgery. (she was put on opiates for 3 years, age 16-19 for severe pain, Avascular Necrosis, hips and knees). She went into that whole amplified pain situation, so the opiates were not even giving her much relief.

But they used Methadone in pill form. Said it was tricky to calibrate it at first, but she was stable on it post surgery. I wonder if at some point that could be an option, easier to travel with pills of course. She was fortunate that there was a surgical option for her, even though total knee replacements (both knees) at age 19 and 20 is drastic, she is now relatively pain free and not on meds. We got "lucky". Good luck to you and enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter