Christmas lunch/dinner - paper plates or real plates?

What do you use for Christmas dinner?

• Paper/plastic

• "Real" dinnerware

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

skuttle

DIS Veteran
For the past 3 years, we've had everyone over to our house for Christmas lunch. We don't plan on giving it back, either! ;) This includes 9 adults, 1 teen and two 5 year olds. Normally I use paper plates, plastic utensils, etc. However, I've been thinking about buying a cute set of christmas dishes. DH thinks I'm nuts, but he also thinks I'm nuts when I set out the snacks/desserts in my glass serving pieces when we have people over.

My flatware is only for 8, and unfortunately has been discontinued so I'd have to figure something out with that, too.

What do you use?

We have the grandparents over for Christmas breakfast, so we're only 8 altogether. I used to use my "good china" but I have switched to holiday dishes. It's a little more festive.

My family uses paper plates, plastic cups and plastic flatware for Thanksgiving. Since it's not me throwing party, I don't care. I do think that real plates would be nicer though.

You could pick up a couple of sets of Christmas plates and some cheap-y flatware and glassware for under $100. Since you're planning to host Christmas dinner for the foreseeable future you could consider it an investment.

i voted other...because it really depends...
I have used real and I have used paper goods...
just depends on how many are coming to dinner....

many times I use both... thanksgiving...good china..with festive holiday paper plates for the antipasto..on top of them....

I bought several sets of Christmas place settings a few years ago. Some years they don't even make it out of the boxes! You're talking about 3 boxes for four, if that's how you find them. Costco very often has a nice set of plastic/paper plates & napkins for a good price. We always use real silverware (bought an extra set of stainless from Costco.)

The only problem, as kids grow up, marry, have kids - you end up with quite a crowd, then you have to decide again if you're going to buy more Christmas plates.

Gee, I'm a lot of help! You could scout out the Marshall's-type store and see if you can just get dinner plates.

My MIL started giving me place settings of Spode Christmas Tree china for various occasions several years ago, and then moved to serving pieces after I had 12 place settings. We use those from just after Thanksgiving until a few days after Christmas.

If we had a larger crowd, I'd supplement with either paper plates or something complementary from Target, or Kohls, etc.

I'd just use disposable stuff. The last thing I want to do when celebrating the birth of Christ is a sink full of dishes.

I'm not looking for fine china (didn't even get that for my wedding!). Just something fun and festive...like from Target or Kohl's...something along those lines. I never thought about when the kids get older and bring "friends" over. Hmm...something to consider. I also never thought of just buying flatware from somewhere like Costco. Last year I had cute square plastic plates from Sam's.

I use some beautiful china that was passed down from a Great Aunt, but I think plates with a Christmas theme would be really nice. I also use paper goods with a seasonal print for appetizers.

Christmas china or my best fine china, sterling silver flatware and water goblets, crystal goblets for tea, and cloth napkins and tablecloth with Christmas crackers at each place setting - the whole nine yards. I love to set a pretty table at Christmas!!!

Since I just despise to eat off a paper plate my answer is obvious. Even when I go to the local pizzeria to grab a quick slice they know to give me a real plate.

You could get a set of festive Christmassy plates, and then supplement with plain red or green dishes (or whatever matches the Christmas set) in the future. I like the mix-and-match look, though I know it's not for everybody.. :)

We usually use the good dishes (my holiday plates are cobalt blue with gold trim.. I'm not a red and green kinda girl) for Christmas, as we don't normally have more than 8 people here. But when we do, I have a set of plain cobalt blue plates to supplement.

FWIW, I despise disposable plates/cups. There's enough garbage in the world without adding more.

I love holiday dishes and have several sets. The best places I have found for them are Garden Ridge and - get ready - Dollar Tree! That's right - my very favorites cost $1 each! I keep them out on the table and use them all season since I am not afraid of breaking the "good dishes".
That being said, I really hate eating a meal like turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy off paper plates. Yuck! Plastic is not so bad - at least it doesn't soak up the gravy and get too soggy to carry from the table.
I love using my real dishes for company. What's the point in having them if no one ever sees them?

Christmas china or my best fine china, sterling silver flatware and water goblets, crystal goblets for tea, and cloth napkins and tablecloth with Christmas crackers at each place setting - the whole nine yards. I love to set a pretty table at Christmas!!!

Amen!!! Christmas and Thanksgiving deserve a beautiful table setting IMO ;)

We are the Thanksgiving and Christmas paper plate users. I always get next years plates and napkins on clearance.

No ones house is big enough for the whole family to sit at the dinning table together. MIL's house, which has the biggest kitchen, we can all fit in there, but it's cramped and if you are sitting folding tables, you have to have someone at the table fill your plate for you or lean over someone to do it yourself. We don't do meals there, because of her age (83) and not wanting to host big dinners any more.

Before SIL/BIL divorce and she left town, no dinners there, WAY TO small of a house

Get togethers have been at our house going on 10 years. We can fit everybody in and the food is buffet sytle in the kitchen. We do the throw away at our house because:
1 - I don't want anyone to have to do dishes at my house and I'm not missing out on the fun to do dishes.
2 - We visit way to late for me to do them after every body is gone and still be able to get up and be civil during Black Friday shopping or Christmas morning gift exchange.

So we do the easy and simple solution - buy pretty plates and napkins, then throw them away.

Real plates at our house. Sometimes it's the regular plates and sometimes the china. But always real plates and silverware.

I don't trust the ILs with "good china".

But I did go out 4 years back and buy 12 place settings of regular use stonewear. I think I paid about $120 or so for all 12 settings. We used them year-round for the family, but it was nice having enough plates for all of the adults on holidays. And it was super nice having extra plates in case I didn't get the dishwasher run on a regular day.

Those plates and dishes are now battered and chipped and in need of replacement. But the kids are growing older too and I could really use 16 or 20 place settings for a holiday meal. Maybe I'll go shopping before I have everyone over again....

IMO, I'd buy real dishes, but regular use ones... maybe white restaurant stock.... and then buy some Christmassy serving dishes.

I have cute snowmen dishes that can go in the dishwasher. This is what I would use. It's the only time of the year they get used, and I think they are adorable, so this works for me.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest