Christmas gifts and godchildren

LoriKay

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!
At what point do you stop buying Christmas gifts for a godchild? When they graduate from high school? When they turn 21? When they get married? Never? I'm curious what others do with this situation.

I would continue to buy gifts as long as I could afford it.
I think perhaps once they are adults w/ children I might just buy for the kids.

My Dad's GM sent him a gift for every birthday and every Christmas until she died when my Dad was 60.

Her standard gift was $5 in a card. Then she changed it to 5 - $1 lottery tickets.

He has very fond memories of his GM.

We intend to remember our god children in some way throughout their lives.

My godmother gives me $50 in cash every Christmas, and I'm 36! She knows I like to shop the after Christmas sales, so it's a very appropriate gift as far as I'm concerned. I also give her a gift that is about $50. This year I am changing it up and sending her a Harry and David gift basket. I am also the godmother of 2 girls, and they always get gifts from me for Christmas.

Ann

My best friend and I don't exchange gifts. I ususally send a "familish" gift but it's geared towards the kids (my godchildren) One year a portable dvd, one year a bunch of movies. My 19 year old niece decided to move out since she was an adult and tired of her parents rules. I will still send the group gift to the family, but I will not be sending anything seperate for her. However I still sent her a birthday card with money and will continue to do this, but not anything seperate for christmas.

My two Godchildren are only three but I can't imagine not giving them gifts for as long as I can. My parents' Godchildren (who are in their 30's) still receive gifts for Christmas from them but I think they've stopped with birthdays. I still get gifts from my Godparents and give to them too but since they are my aunt and uncle and we are very close, I can't imagine it would stop.

That is a very good question. I am a godmother twice. My oldest godson (who is also my nephew) is 23 and when he turned 18 is when I stopped. I am also a godmother to my nieces child who is 1 1/2. I do buy him a Christmas present and a gift for his birthday. I would say for me, when he turns 18 for him as well.

My godparents stopped for me at 18 too. I guess that is just a rule of thumb in my family.:confused3 On the other hand, my kids godparents (my brother and sis and law and my sis and bro in law)didn't give them anything extra for holidays. So I guess it is an individual thing.

I don't see any reason to stop giving gifts to your godchildren or any other family members. Why would you stop giving someone a gift just because they turned a certain age? Everyone in my family gives gifts to everyone; parents, siblings, aunts & uncles, cousins, nieces & nephews, godchildren, grandchildren, etc.

My godparents are my aunt and her ex-husband. My aunt always gives me something for Christmas and my birthday (usually a gift card now that I'm older). My godfather lives in France and I haven't seen him since I was a toddler, when he divorced my aunt and fled to England to avoid paying child support to his four children. He's in Florida right now with my cousin who just had a baby, so he has somewhat made up with at least one of his children, but doesn't appear to have any interest in me.

I don't see any reason to stop giving gifts to your godchildren or any other family members. Why would you stop giving someone a gift just because they turned a certain age? Everyone in my family gives gifts to everyone; parents, siblings, aunts & uncles, cousins, nieces & nephews, godchildren, grandchildren, etc.

My godparents are my aunt and her ex-husband. My aunt always gives me something for Christmas and my birthday (usually a gift card now that I'm older). My godfather lives in France and I haven't seen him since I was a toddler, when he divorced my aunt and fled to England to avoid paying child support to his four children. He's in Florida right now with my cousin who just had a baby, so he has somewhat made up with at least one of his children, but doesn't appear to have any interest in me.

I have several godchildren - ranging in age from 5 to 23. I give them all something at Christmas, and on their birthdays. I think its your call - you give as long as you feel comfortable giving.

My mom still gives to her god daughter every Christmas and she is 56 now! If my godson was still alive I am sure I would continue to give to him until the day I died.

I am 39 and still get gifts from my godparents... and I like it!

My parents still buy for all their godchildren too.

I have a question about giving gifts to godchildren at Christmas. Do you give their siblings a present too? It is hard for me to give one a nice present and ignore the other child or even give a lesser gift. But then the godchild isn't being treated "special".

I have a question about giving gifts to godchildren at Christmas. Do you give their siblings a present too? It is hard for me to give one a nice present and ignore the other child or even give a lesser gift. But then the godchild isn't being treated "special".
DH has one GS. We give a gift to him and his brother on Christmas and for their respective birthdays. But, along with the gift, we also buy stock for his GS for both occasions. That way, neither feels slighted at Christmas and the other nephew can be taken care of by his own god parents in whatever way they choose.

I buy gifts for those people I want to buy gifts for, regardless of their age.

Hence the reason I call it a gift. If there were rules involved, then it would be an obligation.

I have 2 Godsons, ones 21 and there is 2

I'll be giving them both gifts as long as I can.

My oldest daughter's godmother always gives her a gift at Christmas and on her birthday. At Christmas, she brings something small (candy or coloring book sort of thing) for my other two daughters so they don't feel left out. Their godmothers always do something special for them also so they aren't left out anyway but I think it's sweet of DD11's GM to think of the others.

One of my Godchildren has a little brother now and I've been spoiling him as much as her. I think that there will be times when there might be something extra special for my Godchild but at this point they are both young and wouldn't understand.

My brother, sister, and I all have the same godmother, and no godfather. She is one of my Mom's best friends, and not only gives us things for Christmas and birthdays, she does my Mom also. She has the money for it though. She takes a lot of trips with her husband and also usually gets us trinkets when she is gone that she gives us other times in the year. We are 20, 25, and 28.

I say that as long as you can afford it, why not. It is a special relationship that shouldn't end when they turn 18, but if you can't afford to give them gifts, I am sure they would understand.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest