Choice Paralysis

bumblebt5

Earning My Ears
My family (husband, 9 yo, 11yo) are making our first trip to Disneyland at the end of July. I have looked at so many hotel options, have made and cancelled multiple reservations, and just keep second-guessing (tenth-guessing?) myself. We want to keep it under $400/night and our priorities are 1) walking distance to the parks (prefer a 10 min walk or less), 2) room size, 3) pool, 4) everything else. What are your expert opinions? Thanks for your help!

If you want a 10 minute or less walk, I would choose a place to stay on Harbor Boulevard. I have personally stayed at ParkVue Inn, Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites, and Candy Cane Inn. ParkVue and Desert Inn and Suites are close and about a 5 minute walk, if that. I have not used the pools, so I can't speak to that, but I do know that Desert Inn and Suites has an indoor pool. I believe Howard Johnson's has an extensive pool/play area, but I have not stayed there, and I don't know how long the walk is. A couple of years ago I stayed at a nice hotel on Katella, but the walk back at the end of the day was about 15 to 20 minutes, so I won't stay anywhere on Katella. It was just too long of a walk for me. Candy Cane Inn is about a 10 minute walk, but they have a shuttle. The breakfast offerings at Candy Cane Inn are some of the best I have had, and the grounds are beautiful. I hope this helps, and you have a wonderful trip!

You are experiencing one of the greatest challenges with offsite DLR hotels. The best pools are not the closest and the closest hotels do not have the best pools.

We typically opt to stay as close as possible and take whatever pool is available. The kids will still enjoy it. This means staying right across the street at Tropicana, Best Western Park Place, etc.

Frankly, we go to DLR for the parks, not the pool. We live in TX and it's extremely hot and humid during the summer. Our neighborhood has 3 community pools and we have family nearby with a pool. We swim plenty in the summer, so it's not a priority for us when in SoCal (also, when you live in TX the weather in SoCal feels "cold" in comparison for swimming).

Just my two cents, but I do sympathize it's a difficult choice I often find myself making. Like the PP noted, the Courtyard or HoJo have the nicest and closest pools, but it is going to be 5-10 minutes further away than some closer options. You have to decide if the pool is worth the longer walk.

I totally relate to your choice paralysis! It's easy to get overwhelmed with so many choices. As others have said, the closest hotels don't have the best pools.

Your best bet for a short walk will be the hotels right across the Disneyland entrance on Harbor. These pools will not be very exciting, but the 2 minute walk at the end of the day will be wonderful.

I would check:
Park Vue
BW Park Place Inn
BW Plus Anaheim Inn

I would also add Home2Suites to your list to check out. They have a nice pool area, the rooms are large and it includes a hot breakfast. Not sure if you will have a car but it is valet parking only. It’s about a ten minute walk (just a little further than Hojo). The Hilton garden in on Manchester is connected to Home2Suites. They share the same lobby and pool area. Hilton garden inn does not have an included breakfast, so it is typically cheaper and the rooms are a good size too.

Our other favorites were already mentioned, Hojo, Candy Cane and Park Vue. Have a fun trip!!

I would vote for the Courtyard Marriott. Most of the time it should fit your budget, I think. It is one of the more Harbor street hotels, but can definitely be had for under $400 a night.

1. Walking distance is negligible. I feel like folks here often exaggerate the walking distance of anything not directly across from the park so I measured the distance from the sidewalk in front of the Marriot to the sidewalk where you cross the street. At average walking speed of 3mph, you’re talking a little over 2.5 minutes. Obviously YMMV but it feels so negligible to me, it is worth the huge upgrade you get over places directly across the street.
2. Room size is fine. But the huge bonus is the “extra” bathroom you get. There are essentially two showers for the standard room which is fantastic when getting ready for the parks. Kids also get bunk beds which they can be fun.
3. Pool is pretty top notch when compared to the nearby hotels, especially for your aged children.

Biggest negative for me would be lack of free breakfast. They do have a decent coffee bar that serves Starbucks coffee and has breakfast items but it has been several years since we’ve stayed there.

Hojo and courtyard are closest hotels on Harbor.

Bw is a bed to sleep on with the bare basics. Fairfield is a step better.....we've tried all these and as got older, hotels increased to point of doing the convention center hotels.

Hyatt house/place and use toy story lot transport. After nice morning meal.

Of course we graduated finally to DVc and grand California for the ultimate spoiling

I’m not sure it was mentioned but check out the Camelot Inn, specifically the family suite there

It is huge and close and super comfortable
And great firework views from the pool area

Only two downsides: the pool is nothing to be excited about at all; and the family suite only has one bathroom

Thanks for the suggestions! I may consult the family again and see how important the pool really is, and how much time they think they'll want to spend in the room. If it were just me it'd be minimal room time, but on previous (non-park) vacations the kids have wanted to hang out in the room more than I'd have originally guessed.

Another option to add to the mix -- Desert Palms, which is right next to Candy Cane Inn. They have a family room that has a king size bed in one room and full size bunks in the other (425 square feet total). Includes breakfast and has a bigger pool than some of the across the street options mentioned.

Anaheim hotel has a huge pool, is also walking distance, but gets mixed reviews.

IMO, don't overthink it. This is what I have experienced over the years.

Younger kids will like the shorter walks to and from the hotel and so will Mom and Dad.
The pools do not have to be extra nice, the kiddos just love splashing around especially if the parents join in.

IMO, don't overthink it. This is what I have experienced over the years.

Younger kids will like the shorter walks to and from the hotel and so will Mom and Dad.
The pools do not have to be extra nice, the kiddos just love splashing around especially if the parents join in.
I totally agree with this.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest