cheapest way to buy annual pass (DVC)

To follow up on that unsubstantiated "rumor" where someone was told you couldn't exchange a more expensive ticket MYW for an AP---

I did my exchange last night, no problem. Even got back the $3.19 in cash, not expected, but this is the second time this year that has happened for me.

I've said it more than once but it's worth repeating:
if you have a complicated ticket transaction go to Guest Services at MK or DTD. Absolutely the best people work there and they will go out of their way to be helpful. Love them!!! :lovestruc

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your experience! I thought this rumor would be proven false. And you are right, MK and DTD are the best!

Great news on the ticket upgrade issue! If anyone has a different experience, please make sure to post it for us.

Question:
What is the best way to do this ticket exchange if not staying on property the first two days of our trip without having to pay to park? I'm thinking of making a dinner reservation at a monorail resort (and using it, not just for this) so we can park, take the monorail to MK, go in, go to guest services and get our AP's.

We'll likely fly in Saturday afternoon and stay off property for 2 nights (room availability being the issue). I'm hoping to, that night, get our AP's and TiW card to have for dinner that night. If I just drive to a park, I'll have to pay to park (don't yet have the AP and not yet a resort guest). If I just drive to DTD, I won't have yet used the tickets to get their true value.

Thoughts?

I put together a quick spreadsheet to see which UT ticket would yield the biggest savings off of the DVC AP. Here are the results. Best seems to be the MYW - 7 day - no expiration.

Sorry for the format.. cut and paste not cooperating. I left out all of the gory details, but my spreadsheet has them. BTW, I did not have the Mousesavers prices at my disposal, but I don't think that changes the answer.

Ticket / Savings

MYW - 6-day $21.78
MYW - 7 day $24.11
MYW - 8 day $21.43
MYW - 10 day $29.08

MYW - 5 day - No Exp. $45.63
MYW - 6 day - No Exp. $48.67
MYW - 7 day - No Exp. $58.34
MYW - 8 day - No Exp. $-
MYW - 10 day - No Exp. $-

Park Hopper - 5 day $22.97
Park Hopper - 6 day $28.29
Park Hopper - 7 day $29.57
Park Hopper - 8 day $29.94
Park Hopper - 10 day $37.54

Park Hopper - 5 day - no exp. $54.14
Park Hopper - 6 day - no exp. $-
Park Hopper - 7 day - no exp. $-
Park Hopper - 8 day - no exp. $-
Park Hopper - 10 day - no exp. $-

I put together a quick spreadsheet to see which UT ticket would yield the biggest savings off of the DVC AP. Here are the results. Best seems to be the MYW - 7 day - no expiration.

BTW, I did not have the Mousesavers prices at my disposal, but I don't think that changes the answer.

I did a ton of comparisons and that's what I came up with, too. And that was with the Mousesavers UT discount, too.

Sorry if this has already been covered. We did the GAD this year and were able to upgrade the one day park admission to our DVC AP. All three of us had GAD vouchers and it saved us over $250($84.14 x3)!

No, because then the 8 day is "worth" over $450 and you are exchanging it for a ticket that costs $399. Before the price increase I bought the 6 day NE PH for $366. with a $30. savings, making the ticket "worth" close to the $399. AP price. That's the price you want to end up close to when you take the savings into account.

PS. I made this mistake a few months ago, did the savings backwards and ended up with tickets worth more than I needed. Lesson learned!!! :rolleyes1

Ahhhhh thank-you very much

Sorry for the format.. cut and paste not cooperating. I left out all of the gory details, but my spreadsheet has them. BTW, I did not have the Mousesavers prices at my disposal, but I don't think that changes the answer.

Ticket / Savings

MYW - 6-day $21.78
MYW - 7 day $24.11
MYW - 8 day $21.43
MYW - 10 day $29.08

MYW - 5 day - No Exp. $45.63
MYW - 6 day - No Exp. $48.67
MYW - 7 day - No Exp. $58.34
MYW - 8 day - No Exp. $-

Park Hopper - 5 day $22.97
Park Hopper - 6 day $28.29
Park Hopper - 7 day $29.57
Park Hopper - 8 day $29.94
Park Hopper - 10 day $37.54

Park Hopper - 5 day - no exp. $54.14
Park Hopper - 6 day - no exp. $-

Mac TLC- that is some good work you posted. Page being bookmarked as we speak!

Does anyone know which purchase is the biggest savings for a DVC Child's AP for just the parks???

Hope i'm not opening up a pandora's box!:scared1:

Mac TLC- that is some good work you posted. Page being bookmarked as we speak!

Does anyone know which purchase is the biggest savings for a DVC Child's AP for just the parks???

Hope i'm not opening up a pandora's box!:scared1:

According to my calculations, it's still the 7d MYW NE. You "lose" $4 in savings because the gate value of the 7d is higher than the child DVC AP price, but the net savings is still the best overall, even with that "loss."

Looks like UT has sold out of tickets at the "old" prices. The savings off of gate are a lot less than last week. I re-calculated the savings for each possible UT ticket vs a DVC AP:

For an adult ticket , the best deal is a 5-day PH, NE :

Ticket / Savings

MYW - 6-day $15.78
MYW - 7 day $17.11
MYW - 8 day $7.43
MYW - 10 day $13.08

MYW - 5 day - No Exp. $16.63
MYW - 6 day - No Exp. $18.67
MYW - 7 day - No Exp. $20.34
MYW - 8 day - No Exp. $-

Park Hopper - 5 day $16.97
Park Hopper - 6 day $22.29
Park Hopper - 7 day $20.62
Park Hopper - 8 day $16.94
Park Hopper - 10 day $19.59

Park Hopper - 5 day - no exp. $25.14
Park Hopper - 6 day - no exp. $23.99

For a child's ticket, the best deal is a 7 day PH,

Ticket Savings

MYW - 6-day $13.29
MYW - 7 day $18.61
MYW - 8 day $20.94
MYW - 10 day $17.59

MYW - 5 day - No Exp. $16.14
MYW - 6 day - No Exp. $17.18
MYW - 7 day - No Exp. $12.45
MYW - 8 day - No Exp. $-

Park Hopper - 5 day $13.47
Park Hopper - 6 day $18.80
Park Hopper - 7 day $21.12
Park Hopper - 8 day $15.45
Park Hopper - 10 day $18.10

Park Hopper - 5 day - no exp. $20.45
Park Hopper - 6 day - no exp. $9.45

All of these calculations use the Mousesavers discounted prices at UT.

Glad I bought my tix from UT before they ran out of the "old price" tickets.

mac_tlc

I just discovered this thread but I am totally confused trying to catch up. The prices just went up again this year but UT still has the old prices. So what is the best UT ticket to buy at the current prices? And how does it work if you have a 10 day NE, for instance, that is worth more? Do you get the annual pass and AND get any days left? We are trying to decide if it's worth it to get the discounted DVC AP now that we might be going back. This plan may make the difference...if I can figure it out. Thanks!

I just discovered this thread but I am totally confused trying to catch up. The prices just went up again this year but UT still has the old prices. So what is the best UT ticket to buy at the current prices? And how does it work if you have a 10 day NE, for instance, that is worth more? Do you get the annual pass and AND get any days left? We are trying to decide if it's worth it to get the discounted DVC AP now that we might be going back. This plan may make the difference...if I can figure it out. Thanks!

It seems they do not have the old-price tickets left.

Don't buy a ticket that is more than the AP you're upgrading to. You almost certainly will not get a refund, and no you wouldn't get to keep any NE days...once you upgrade a ticket that ticket is gone. (and, just in case it was in the back of your mind...you only have 14 days to upgrade *anything* from first use...can't upgrade an old NE ticket)

For our December trip we bought 7 day tickets (b/c that's what we had the money for at that moment) from UCT, waited a few days into our trip, decided we could go back inside a year, and upgraded. It was financially correct to buy the AP vs buying two sets of tickets. Especially with the price of the DVC AP.

(if only we'd done the same for Universal! ouch)

Anyway, that's how you decide *to* upgrade...using UCT is a way to get a bit of a discount on the upgrade you've already decided to do.

Do you figure closest pre or post tax? Does Disney figure AP + tax and than subtract gate price + tax or just gate price?

Did that make sense?

Just went to the UT website incl. Mousesavers discount and they still show the old prices.

Disney Prices
1 Adult DVC AP--$419 + 6.5% tax = 446.23 X 2 adults = $892.47
1 Child DVC AP--$386 + 6.5% tax =$411.09 x 2 Children = $822.18
$892.47 + 822.18 =$1714.65

Now, I want to find Disney gate ticket prices closest but not over $1714.65

10 Day Hopper and Water for 2 adults and 2 children =$1566 + 6.5% = $1668.80

UT Prices

10 Day Hopper and Water for 2 adults and 2 children = $1433.81

$1668.80-$1433.81 = $234.99 Savings

Did I figure this out right or am I missing something?

It is easier if you look at it one ticket at a time.

The Disney price for a 10 day Hopper with Waterpark option is $368.49, the old price (incl. Mousesavers discount) for the same is $319.95, so you save $48.54.

The 6 day Base with No Expiration is $414.29 (so still below the DVC AP price), at UT it's $353.95, so you save $60.34. Once you used that ticket once, you can upgrade it to the DVC AP paying just $31.95 on top.

The saving of $60.34 almost gets you the Tables in Wonderland card for free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter