Changing reservation on borrowed points

DaveNan

DIS Veteran
I understand a borrowing transaction is not reversible.

But I have a weird situation. I am Sept UY. I have 2 reservations.
April 2019 - 79 points booked with 2018 UY points (current year)
August 2019 - 116 points booked with borrowed points (2019 UY points).

I am considering modifying the August reservation and potentially shortening it and changing to a different category so it only takes 75 points.

That would leave me with 41 borrowed points I have to use by 8/31.

I have no plans to travel by then, and the booking opportunities are getting limited.

After changing the August reservation and having those borrowed points, can I call MS and have them change the April reservation so it now takes all 41 of the borrowed points and only 38 points from my current UY. I would then have those 41 points in my current 2018 UY and I could bank them before 4/30 and have them available from 9/1/2019 to 8/31/2020. I know I will travel in that window.

TIA

Last edited:
Yes. You actually should be able to do it online too. After you modify the August trip go into modify the April one. You'll be selecting the exact same stay but when you go thru to finalize using the points it should use the borrowed points before the current points. (I'd say will use them instead of should but it is Disney).

When I have tried this, they will not reallocate points from one reservation to the other. However, when I cancelled the 2nd reservation, they were able to reallocate as I wanted. Then I immediately rebooked the 2nd reservation. If there is still availability on the dates for your 2nd reservation, it should be safe to do this.

N.B. I have never tried to do this with the online tool.

When I have tried this, they will not reallocate points from one reservation to the other. However, when I cancelled the 2nd reservation, they were able to reallocate as I wanted. Then I immediately rebooked the 2nd reservation. If there is still availability on the dates for your 2nd reservation, it should be safe to do this.

N.B. I have never tried to do this with the online tool.

I understand what you are stating but they're shortening their August stay, not trying to change what points are used when between the two reservations which is what you described wanting to do. What you state can/cant be done is correct in the situation you outlined but doesn't fit what they are doing.

I understand what you are stating but they're shortening their August stay, not trying to change what points are used when between the two reservations which is what you described wanting to do. What you state can/cant be done is correct in the situation you outlined but doesn't fit what they are doing.
I agree. They will need to double check the points used when they modify, because the system will want to use the banked points first.

I agree. They will need to double check the points used when they modify, because the system will want to use the banked points first.

I don't think they have banked points which really would be no different than using borrowed anyway - nothing to gain with the switch. They will be freeing up current points that are bankable.

I thought the rules are Borrowed then banked then current.

Update....

After I shortened the August stay, my dashboard had the 41 points back in 2018 UY and no bankable points.

I then "modified" the April stay online with making no changes to it, just going through the screens and rebooking the exact came stay.

My dashboard then showed 41 points in 2018UY with 41 points being bankable before 4/30 (my 4 month banking window for Sept UY)

So it appears KAT4DISNEY was spot on... thanks.

I will likely be on the phone with MS sometime before the April stay and confirm, but from what I can see online, it worked fine.

Thanks again

I don't think they have banked points which really would be no different than using borrowed anyway - nothing to gain with the switch. They will be freeing up current points that are bankable.

I thought the rules are Borrowed then banked then current.

Not to hijack but I have a similar issue, and I am just trying to get clarity on what I need to do, and you are so knowledgeable I appreciate any help. I may need to modify the dates of a trip that I currently have booked by a couple days. I have borrowed some 2020 points for the currently booked trip, but about half of those borrowed points I would not need for the modified trip, as the new dates use fewer points. When I modify the dates will it automatically use the borrowed points (2020 points) and give me back the excess 2019 points, or do I need to further modify the booking again online, or can I call MS to have the points reallocated so that the borrowed points are used first? This is all within a single reservation, it just spans different seasons if I modify to the new dates and I haven't been in this position before.

Not to hijack but I have a similar issue, and I am just trying to get clarity on what I need to do, and you are so knowledgeable I appreciate any help. I may need to modify the dates of a trip that I currently have booked by a couple days. I have borrowed some 2020 points for the currently booked trip, but about half of those borrowed points I would not need for the modified trip, as the new dates use fewer points. When I modify the dates will it automatically use the borrowed points (2020 points) and give me back the excess 2019 points, or do I need to further modify the booking again online, or can I call MS to have the points reallocated so that the borrowed points are used first? This is all within a single reservation, it just spans different seasons if I modify to the new dates and I haven't been in this position before.

As long as you go thu the modify link to adjust the dates it should automatically use the borrow first and free up the current points for you. There shouldn’t be a need to do anything more with it.

Yes. You actually should be able to do it online too. After you modify the August trip go into modify the April one. You'll be selecting the exact same stay but when you go thru to finalize using the points it should use the borrowed points before the current points. (I'd say will use them instead of should but it is Disney).

Wow! Neat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter