Change rooms question

piratelife56

Earning My Ears
New to the thread and first time cruiser.

The question I have and I can't find an answer to this one is we have multiple rooms and now want to move a couple of the parties from one room to another and vice versa. How do we go about doing that? Can we even do that?
Thank you!

The question I have and I can't find an answer to this one is we have multiple rooms and now want to move a couple of the parties from one room to another and vice versa. How do we go about doing that? Can we even do that?
Thank you!
You can do that, but if the prices of rooms have increased since you originally booked, you will have to pay the increase in price.

If you didn't use a travel agency, you can call DCL to make the change. You might now be able to do it online, but I'm not sure as it's been several years since I booked directly via DCL.

Doesn’t the “primary” occupant need to stay in the assigned cabin at least on paper?

So, you reserved some cabins.

And you want to switch people around. Such as, two kids are staying with Grandma instead of their parents? Will the cabins still have the same number of occupants (this matters for lifeboats). Are there people under 18 involved? Have you paid in full?

Lots of variables that will possibly change the answer here. But yes, you can call your travel agent and ask? You may be able to do it online but should figure out the repercussions (ie price changes) before you do.

Doesn’t the “primary” occupant need to stay in the assigned cabin at least on paper?

So, you reserved some cabins.

And you want to switch people around. Such as, two kids are staying with Grandma instead of their parents? Will the cabins still have the same number of occupants (this matters for lifeboats). Are there people under 18 involved? Have you paid in full?

Lots of variables that will possibly change the answer here. But yes, you can call your travel agent and ask? You may be able to do it online but should figure out the repercussions (ie price changes) before you do.
Hello thanks for the reply. No one under 18 in the mix and the headcount in the rooms stay the same. We have paid in full.
We were thinking if we could adjust to get the "right" persons in the room to avoid key switches

There is no penalty for just changing your stateroom after the PIF date. The penalty is only for cancellations.
So, a phone call to DCL to move people around, keeping primary guest the same in each cabin? That should result in no price change?

Assuming no travel agent, as we are being consulted.

I suggest leaving the bookings as-is, and have them switch up onboard. Presumably it was set that way to get CC status for each stateroom — you’ll lose that for online checkin if you change.

I suggest leaving the bookings as-is, and have them switch up onboard. Presumably it was set that way to get CC status for each stateroom — you’ll lose that for online checkin if you change.
The OP just needs to be aware that if they move people around on board people will need to go to the muster station for their originally assigned stateroom. Just getting them extra cards doesn't change their assigned Muster.

Thank you!
We have placed a Platinum person in each room for Palo, castaway gifts, etc and just switch key cards around at guest services after we board.

So, a phone call to DCL to move people around, keeping primary guest the same in each cabin? That should result in no price change?

Assuming no travel agent, as we are being consulted.
I don't know about price changes due to the rate having changed over time (although it seems unlikely because they're keeping the same staterooms). What I do know is there will be no cancellation penalty because nothing is being cancelled. The post-PIF date penalty is a cancellation penalty.

OP, it won't hurt to call DCL and ask. If they say there would be some sort of price increase, then just don't go through with the change and instead move people around once onboard.

Last edited:
We just did something similar. Our family of 4 sailed in 2 connecting staterooms. Placed a platinum cruiser in each cabin for the benefits and to be able to book all our excursions at the same time.

Went to guest services to change people to the correct cabin. They only gave us 2 extra key cards. So 2 people had to keep up with 2 keycards the whole cruise. One for charging, and leaving and returning to the ship. The other card to enter their correct cabin. It was a pain, honestly.

Not sure I would do that again.

I've done it both ways - officially switched rooms once on board and also just gotten extra key cards. I'll be honest, the extra key card didn't bother me (as I usually also had my son's card that actually matched the room). The one time I forgot, I just went into my actual room and then crossed over (we always left the inner door open except at bed and/or shower time).

We're currently debating for the cruise at the end of July. I really don't care either way, so just waiting for the person I'm switching with to decide.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest