Change in DAS at Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as I said in my last post, issuing a DAS works, but there are issues with just blindly doing that for anyone with bathroom issues, as it can back up the alternate entrances.

But the all or nothing approach doesn't work either, because the new solution doesn't work in every situation and it may need to be a pass that is attraction dependent, for example if you go to get on Haunted Mansion, you are going to be directed to an alternate waiting area no matter what if you have a mobility device, but if you are going on Monsters Inc, there is no way to get an ECV out of that queue midway if there is an issue. So there needs to be some leeway here.
Totally agree it won’t work great in all situations but then I think there will just be some rides that aren’t doable for some people. It sucks but it just can’t accommodate every person for every ride in every situation.

Totally agree it won’t work great in all situations but then I think there will just be some rides that aren’t doable for some people. It sucks but it just can’t accommodate every person for every ride in every situation.
Oh and just for context I get how much it sucks. I’m a not allowed to ride Peter Pan because of my disability. The park does not allow it. It sucks but it is what it is.

This is not an attack but a genuine question; what would be the right accommodation for bathroom issues? What should the parks do and how can it be something that scales? I ask because I have been disabled for a very long time and the accommodations available now are incredible compared to what we dealt with in the old days. I don’t totally understand what more can be done. The programs have to evolve and they have over time but if I worked for the parks I don’t know that I could do better.
Depends on the severity of the ”bathroom issues“, It’s not something you can group under one umbrella, and needs medical expertise and knowledge to understand the symptoms, urgency, severity, warnings, signs etc. There are age related issues, chronic diseases related to bowel, bladder, intestines etc. If a guest has a severe bowel disease and is made to stand in line for any length of time and they have to leave the line as a matter of urgency, there is no time to locate a CM to get a “Bathroom Pass” and not every ride has a bathroom near by either. Empathy and discretion play a big part too, so as not to embarrass or stress the person out, which will/could make things worse. The present DAS system is the kindest way to deal with the issue. A return time allows the person to locate the nearest bathroom and be close by should it be needed. A person with this or similar conditions has to plan visits so that they are not caught short. Believe me if you had a severe bowel disease you’d know where every bathroom was located and the quickest way to get there. If people are abusing the current DAS system then Disney need to go down the Universal (and other theme park/attractions) route and issue passes with proof of diagnosis, Dr’s letter, disease reports and the likes.

But this is an issue that can be easily accommodated.

Oh and just for context I get how much it sucks. I’m a not allowed to ride Peter Pan because of my disability. The park does not allow it. It sucks but it is what it is.
Interesting, I can't think of anything that would prevent being able to ride Peter Pan at Disneyland, Disney World yes since it uses a moving walkway that can't readily be stopped, but there could be something I am missing, so now you have me curious to be honest.

But, again a bathroom issue is easy to accommodate, it just needs to be done smartly.

Depends on the severity of the ”bathroom issues“, It’s not something you can group under one umbrella, and needs medical expertise and knowledge to understand the symptoms, urgency, severity, warnings, signs etc. There are age related issues, chronic diseases related to bowel, bladder, intestines etc. If a guest has a severe bowel disease and is made to stand in line for any length of time and they have to leave the line as a matter of urgency, there is no time to locate a CM to get a “Bathroom Pass” and not every ride has a bathroom near by either. Empathy and discretion play a big part too, so as not to embarrass or stress the person out, which will/could make things worse. The present DAS system is the kindest way to deal with the issue. A return time allows the person to locate the nearest bathroom and be close by should it be needed. A person with this or similar conditions has to plan visits so that they are not caught short. Believe me if you had a severe bowel disease you’d know where every bathroom was located and the quickest way to get there. If people are abusing the current DAS system then Disney need to go down the Universal (and other theme park/attractions) route and issue passes with proof of diagnosis, Dr’s letter, disease reports and the likes.
I truly think Universal has opened themselves up for a massive lawsuit, Six Flags doesn't have the money for lawyers to have been willing to go after, Universal does and what they are doing is a violation of ADA law and if somehow it isn't, it definitely violates the spirit of it.

I do think there is room for a compromise in there somewhere, but yes to get a bathroom pass by locating a CM isn't always practical.

I truly think Universal has opened themselves up for a massive lawsuit, Six Flags doesn't have the money for lawyers to have been willing to go after, Universal does and what they are doing is a violation of ADA law and if somehow it isn't, it definitely violates the spirit of it.

I do think there is room for a compromise in there somewhere, but yes to get a bathroom pass by locating a CM isn't always practical.
Sorry I didn’t mean to quote the above post. And I can’t figure out how to delete.

Anyway my daughter has an IBD - ulcerative colitis. She would absolutely be fine with the accommodation to leave and meet back up with the group.

And the truth is, when she’s in a flare she’s not at a theme park. When she’s flaring she exhausted and in the bathroom a ton. Standing in any line - even a short one - would cause a ton of anxiety. And what if she had to go suddenly during the ride?

When she’s not flaring she doesn’t need any accommodations at all.

I understand that people with bathroom issues feel like their concerns are not being taken seriously but honestly this seems fine and that it would work for many people.

Last edited:

I’m familiar with ADA Law but no expert as I’m not from the USA but Disney need to find a happy medium and stop people abusing the DAS Pass and accommodate people with genuine medical issues and not group/label everyone under the same umbrella - “one size doesn’t fit all”!

Interesting, I can't think of anything that would prevent being able to ride Peter Pan at Disneyland, Disney World yes since it uses a moving walkway that can't readily be stopped, but there could be something I am missing, so now you have me curious to be honest.

But, again a bathroom issue is easy to accommodate, it just needs to be done smartly.
I can easily navigate a moving walkway but they claim that the inability for someone who cannot walk to evacuate themselves from the ride is the problem. Disneyland has the same rule to my knowledge. However, I'm allowed to ride the skyliner and any number of other rides that are in the air. I can't/won't spend time trying to make it make sense because at the end of the day, it isn't worth it to me. Every situation isn't going to accomodate my needs.

As to it being "easy", I disagree. Each disability is incredibly individual and there is no one size fits all approach. You have to build a system that scales and is the best possible option for the most people.

I would also wager if people approached how they described their issues differently, they would get different responses to their applications. Something I have learned after doing this for a very long time is that YOU have to understand the systems available and use them to YOUR advantage. There will never be accommodations built for a single individual and you have to take it upon yourself to make it work. Is that fair? Maybe not, but oh well. Work the system. Find the holes and make the best of a not ideal situation.

They are not violating the ADA. The short answer is that they are required to provide accommodations but not specific accommodations. Even the accommodations they are required to provide are pretty flexible and everything they do today is going above and beyond anything in the ADA.

Sorry I didn’t mean to quote the above post. And I can’t figure out how to delete.

Anyway my daughter has an IBD - ulcerative colitis. She would absolutely be fine with the accommodation to leave and meet back up with the group.

And the truth is, she’s in a flare she’s not at a theme park. When she’s flaring she exhausted and in the bathroom a ton. Standing in any line - even a short one - would cause a ton of anxiety. And what if she had to go suddenly during the ride?

When she’s not flaring she doesn’t need any accommodations at all.

I understand that people with bathroom issues feel like their concerns are not being taken seriously but honestly this seems fine and that it would work for many people.
The symptoms your Daughter experiences with UC is not necessarily the same as someone else with the same condition. A flare has many different levels of severity and medication also needs to be taken into account. In other words “what‘s good for one is not good for the other”. Most UC patients never go into remission and are on a constant “Flare” and medication (eg biologics), can help to a certain extent which again is trial and error finding the right one to suit individual needs. Medical issues are very complex and it needs a qualified medical expert to say what’s best - each case needs to be looked at individually and not grouped as one. The current DAS Pass works well but is open to abuse and thats what needs tweaking.

Last edited:
Couldn't they make this accommodation work with pretty much any 2+ adult group? Make the 1 adult wait in line and the other Adult/Child wait outside the queue?

The symptoms your Daughter experiences with UC is not necessarily the same as someone else with the same condition. A flare has many different levels of severity and medication also needs to be taken into account. In other words “what‘s good for one is not good for the other”. Most UC patients never go into remission and are on a constant “Flare” and medication (eg biologics), can help to a certain extent which again is trial and error finding the right one to suit individual needs. Medical issues are very complex and it needs a qualified medical expert to say what’s best - each case needs to be looked at individually and not grouped as one. The current DAS Pass works well but is open to abuse and thats what needs tweaking.
No theme park, or I would venture any business, is going to have a medical expert tell them what accommodations are needed, period. Nor should they.

While I agree 100% that not all bathroom issues are the same, many can be accommodated by leaving the line and returning. Having a DAS for "just in case" is not valid, IMO, and if Disney is trying to cut back on that, I applaud them.

They aren't making anyone wait outside the queue - if a bathroom issue were to arise, the guest would leave the queue, then meet up with their party at the boarding area.
After the person gets out of line and goes to the bathroom they wait for their party to get to the attraction station. If the line is 90 min they could be waiting an hour for their group to get to the front.

After the person gets out of line and goes to the bathroom they wait for their party to get to the attraction station. If the line is 90 min they could be waiting an hour for their group to get to the front.
Yep, it's possible.

But that's different than making everyone wait outside the line as was previously suggested as an accommodation for other disabilities.

I really hope someone reports back on how this works out. I'm fearful that something like this will be implemented for Florida. Sometimes I need assistance from another party member depending on what I'm experiencing (or sometimes someone to just check on me). I can also imagine not being ready/able to join the line right when the rest of my party gets to the merge point. I guess they'll just have to wait even longer if I need more time? I already feel like a burden with my need for frequent stops on many days or making my family wait a bit more once we get to an attraction before I'm ready to get in line.
Yes this is the problem. It assumes the person with the disability can perfectly time their bathroom issue magically with when their party reaches the front. With DAS being open ended, we just waited to use it until the person with the disability was completely ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter