Challenged Accepted! Our Year of Disney with a toddler 2/27 x2

Smooth sailings so far! At least, in comparison to your last trip's departure.

I don't change Landon in rest stops either! The cars tend to be a lot cleaner in comparison.

Glad you were able to find the restaurant you wanted. I used to eat at Steak N Shake in college; it was sort of a staple food for my poor freshman self. How'd you like the shakes? They are usually the best thing on the menu, especially the holiday flavored ones.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he recovers quickly and that it's not too bad. :goodvibes

Great updates! I love a good road trip and trying out new places. So glad that Gavin seems to be having a good travel day. Very cute pictures from lunch! Those shakes sound good, but too bad they didn't have a peanut butter Snickers, which sounds great. Gavin's almost potty trained already? Wow, I can't believe how big he's getting!!

(Oh, and you have expensive rental cars there, I guess. Yikes!)

Thanks! he did so well in the car, I could not have asked for a better trip! We definitely enjoyed the food and the shakes! Yes it's crazy how ready he has been to potty train (potty and pee are his favorite words especially at Disney, not sure why haha) we didn't push it before we left since we knew we were about to go on vacation. I got his potty back out for him when we got home and he immediate sat down on it and peed. Crazy!

If you'd gone through Richmond we could've had our DISmeet a little early! I was on 95 going to the airport at that time haha. That's weird to think about.

Okay, maybe not, because my flight was at 7... anyways.

HAHAH, it's May already! :lmao:

Steak n Shake does a lot of things really well, but not fries. Hope y'all enjoyed the milkshakes!

Even if we went straight to Richmond, we would've missed you since your flight was so early. We live about 4 hours from Richmond. That is weird to think about! I bet you got up around the same time as us. I still think it's funny that he didn't realize it was May lol. You're right about the fries, they were not my favorite but I'm sure I put a fair amount of them away ;)

Ah, Steak n Shake is one of those fastfood places that I miss from all those years living in Ohio/Indiana. I loved their milkshakes!

I'm sure it's the same for you but Disney/Orlando weather stalking begins 10 days before the beginning of our trip for me. I pretty much leave the weather website up on my computer all the time and hit the refresh button. :rotfl:

The milkshake was definitely a hit! I actually started Orlando stalking way before our trip. I added Orlando to my app on my phone a long time ago. Anytime I check the weather here I look at Orlando's weather too, I'm not sure why. I was definitely checking it every day this past December since I wanted to get an idea of what the weather would be like when we are there this December.

Oh gosh - very sorry to here this. Thoughts and prayers to your dad and your family
Thanks! Luckily it wasn't as bad as we initially thought and he is healing.

I'm signing up for your trip. Travel days are so exciting because you are looking forward to what is to come! Can't wait for more!
Thanks for reading! Getting there was very exciting. I can't say the same about the drive home haha.

I just read your update about the car seat installation. I'm glad it worked out.

That post really brought me back. When the boys were small, I was the president and then treasurer of our local mothers' club and every year, I helped to run a car seat inspection station along with the hospital and police department. I know all about the difficulties of properly installing infant/toddler car seats and the use of pool noodles to get them at the right angle.

The police officers and other experts who were in charge of the installations had gone through DAYS of training on all sorts of cars/seats so they could install the equipment safely.

So glad the woman was able to help you on short notice!

I'm not sure if this varies by state, but here in MD you do not have to get the car seats inspected. I wish it was required! To leave the hospital you just have to have an infant car seat. Before we called the health dept a few months ago and found this program that inspects them, we called our local state police barracks. There was only ONE trooper certified. I left him a message and he never got back to us. That's great that you were able to volunteer! I really want to specialize and work on our mother and baby unit (I rarely work right now but my unit only sometimes gets OB patients) and get certified as a car seat tech. We only have 2 employees that work on the OB unit that are certified. I'm glad she was able to help us too.

Sounds like you are off to a great start! Not bad for early morning drive with a toddler. Glad the Mickey slippers were able to save the day. You know what? I don't think I have ever heard of Steak and Shake. I am so glad that you found one accidentally.

It just occurred to me that you have one less person than your last trip, but two more people who are able to walk.

I think Steak n Shake is a mostly southern thing, or at least that is where I seem to remember seeing them the most. I cannot believe that in all my travels this was my first time eating at one! Gavin did so well in the car, I could not have asked for a better trip! He really wanted to wear his mickey slippers outside today. He was not happy about wearing shoes. Silly boy!

I just read about your dad. Sending lots of positive energy for a quick recovery.

:grouphug:

Thanks! Luckily his injuries were not as bad as we initially thought and he is healing.

Smooth sailings so far! At least, in comparison to your last trip's departure.

I don't change Landon in rest stops either! The cars tend to be a lot cleaner in comparison.

Glad you were able to find the restaurant you wanted. I used to eat at Steak N Shake in college; it was sort of a staple food for my poor freshman self. How'd you like the shakes? They are usually the best thing on the menu, especially the holiday flavored ones.

I guess it does not take much to make our travel day look better than last time :rotfl2: But yes, we were super happy for a smooth day! Disney is about the only place I've changed his diaper on a changer. I'm looking forward to not having to do that next time! Oh man I bet Steak n Shake was a college kid's dream - $4 meals available 24/7 haha. I would've been there in college a lot too! The shakes were AMAZING! I really enjoyed mine. I will have to try to get a holiday shake when we drive back in December!

Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he recovers quickly and that it's not too bad. :goodvibes

Thanks! Luckily his injuries were not as bad as we initially thought and he is healing.

Glad to hear your dad is doing okay, though I hope he feels better soon.

Way to go, Gavin, on that long day in the car! :cool1: Great that he did so well!

We are partial to Hampton Inns too. They are generally quite nice and reasonably priced. We joke that we grew up staying at Motel 6's, camping, or a Super 8 on a good day - and Izzy will grow up thinking Hampton Inn is the norm.

Glad that you got that time with your best friend. And also that your kids got along and had some good playtime together. When we were in Oregon, Izzy absolutely LOVED playing with her 5 and 7 year old cousins - looks like Gavin felt the same about your friend's kids.

Wow, a double-shake day! :thumbsup2 On a side note, we used to feel the same way about Sonic, because it was a novelty that we only ran across on road trips. Now we have them around here and almost never go there. Funny how that works. :confused3 Those half-price shakes are a good deal, though.

I'm pretty sure Izzy has that same sleep sack! :goodvibes

Looking forward to your WDW arrival!

Glad to hear your dad is doing okay, though I hope he feels better soon.

Way to go, Gavin, on that long day in the car! :cool1: Great that he did so well!

We are partial to Hampton Inns too. They are generally quite nice and reasonably priced. We joke that we grew up staying at Motel 6's, camping, or a Super 8 on a good day - and Izzy will grow up thinking Hampton Inn is the norm.

Glad that you got that time with your best friend. And also that your kids got along and had some good playtime together. When we were in Oregon, Izzy absolutely LOVED playing with her 5 and 7 year old cousins - looks like Gavin felt the same about your friend's kids.

Wow, a double-shake day! :thumbsup2 On a side note, we used to feel the same way about Sonic, because it was a novelty that we only ran across on road trips. Now we have them around here and almost never go there. Funny how that works. :confused3 Those half-price shakes are a good deal, though.

I'm pretty sure Izzy has that same sleep sack! :goodvibes

Looking forward to your WDW arrival!

Thanks!

Daniel and I joke about that too! Gavin is seriously spoiled when it comes to traveling! He's stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn, 3 Hampton Inns, a really cool Nemo suite at AoA and our most recent "room" had more square footage than our house! I'm now a snob when it comes to hotels, my standard is a Hampton Inn or better haha!

Gavin loves all kids. On Sunday night we had fellowship after church. Gavin is the only boy and there were 5-6 girls older than him that he was playing with it was too cute. They taught him how to play duck duck goose! I wasn't sure how it was going to go but he sat in a circle! Of course when it was his turn to be goose he just ran away haha. I can't wait to see how Aria and Izzy get along. I think they are going to be BFFs!

I know that is how it would be if we had a Sonic here, the novelty would wear off. Brandan has a Sonic very close to where he lives now but he has only been there a few times in the last year. It's actually at the bottom of the parking lot where he does his grocery shopping and he says he always forgets to stop there, but thinks of me when he sees it because I'm always texting him about it haha.

I LOVE your new ticker!

I'm impressed that you know what was in each and every one of those bags! :thumbsup2 Traveling with a toddler requires an impressive amount of stuff, that's for sure.

Aw, cute sleeping baby! :lovestruc

It's nice to know someone else is still nursing at this age! :goodvibes Granted, we are down to just nursing at night before bed (and occasionally before a nap, if she asks), but I sometimes feel like the only one who's still going (she's currently 20 months). Good job! :thumbsup2

Ah, I think the turn signal thing is kinda funny! :rotfl: And now, if someone tells me they're from Maryland, I'm immediately going to think of it.

Ha ha, I've been quoted in a trip report! :cool1: And, yes, that is exactly what I'd say. We NEVER go to McDonald's in town. And we try to avoid it when out of town, but sometimes you really don't have choices...especially those travel plazas! (Nothing against McD's - there are just a lot of places I'd rather eat).

Bummer about the rain and bad traffic in Florida!

Yes, I think we have become the same type of hotel snobs as you. :snooty: As many Motel 6's that I've stayed at in my life, I think I'd have a lot of trouble going back there now...especially with a toddler.

Aw, I hope Aria and Izzy become BFFs! :goodvibes Izzy does tend to prefer older kids and I'm not sure if 8 months older is sufficient for her - we shall see!

Thanks on the ticker. Still can't believe I have that. :eek:

Wow, 9 nights - that's great! As someone who has done split stays, I think you are making the right call to stay put. Without a toddler, they were easy and worthwhile. But, like you, I don't want to do any work I don't have to do on a WDW trip - and moving a toddler and all their accessories to a new resort is not necessary work. I'm hoping we love Silver Lake this trip - sounds great.

Saw your question about going to the MK on a party day or not. Just asked Dug, because I know we've heard this before, but neither of us can remember for sure - we THINK that it is better to go on a party day, because the short hours limit people without park-hoppers, so they go to other parks that day instead. But don't quote me on that one. ;) Also, I'm pretty sure I saw a thread earlier about the Osborne Lights being confirmed. Again, though, don't quote me.

Haven't celebrated a birthday at Disney, but some of things I thought about for anniversary: Illuminations cruise, pontoon boat rental, & behind-the-scenes tour (would be hard to do with Gavin, unless someone can watch him, I guess). It's your birthday, though, so if you want CRT, go for it - especially since Gavin's still free and probably cool with princesses.

Hi Melissa! Sorry I'm late!

I'm seriously impressed with your collection of Vera bags! I love planning and packing up the car for road trips. Having kids/babies adds about 22.5 lbs to the mix. Great job keeping Gavin entertained.

Glad your dad is recovering from his burns. How scary. It's fortunate that your brother was there to help drive him to the ER.

Your little guy is potty training already? That's awesome! It also means that you probably travel lighter by at least a whole bag! :)

Yay!! Arrival in Orlando!

Paxton seemed to do pretty well with our long drive, but I think Gavin is the clear winner there! So great that he tolerated such a long couple of travel days. His set up in the backseat looks pretty awesome too.

I'm glad to hear your dad is doing a bit better. Still sending positive thoughts to him and your family. I'm sure he is still going through a lot of difficult times.

I'm impressed with your packing! I have some packing "Idiosyncrasies" *cough* OCD *cough* so I totally appreciate the way you had everything organized.

Your road trip with Gavin went REALLY REALLY well! We didn't really travel with the boys until they were 6 and 3, and I did a road trip Boston to NJ, just me and the boys, about 5 hours once but never anything as long as your trip.

The rain sounds like it was a pain for you. :(

I'll have to give some thought to your birthday dining "dilemma". Kona is a great start. I haven't been to The Plaza, but it sounds like you could have a lighter lunch there. Lots of choices in MK and the MK resort hotels.

:goodvibes

I am ridiculously behind on the DIS but just noticed that you subbed to my TR. That's how far behind I am because that was like, what, two weeks ago? :confused3 Anyway - I see you have a new TR going and I'm in. Can't wait to read all about your trip. Gavin is such a cutie. Isn't it great having an AP? So sad that mine is about to expire. :sad1:

All caught up.

Gavin is so cute. those pictures at Steak n Shake (or is it Shake and Steak) are precious! He really did well with the drive.

Love how you thoroughly documented the time of everything - and even the temperature.

Hmmmm - I drive with a lot of Maryland drivers. They are better than Delaware drivers - I'll give you that.

I agree - you do have a lot of cute Veras. Have you ever stopped at the outlet down there.

Yay for arriving. :cool1:

Joining in!

Always fun to read about others experiences with a toddler --- I just wrapped up our TR from our November trip when DD was 26 months. Fun, but exhausting!!

Gavin did so well in the car! We live in northern VA, and the drive sort of scares me....but seems like your little guy did just great.

And, I hate public restrooms so much too....but now that DD is potty-trained, I've spent more time in them than the last 5 yrs of my life combined. YUCK!

Can't wait to read more! :goodvibes

I'm impressed that you know what was in each and every one of those bags! :thumbsup2 Traveling with a toddler requires an impressive amount of stuff, that's for sure.

Aw, cute sleeping baby! :lovestruc

It's nice to know someone else is still nursing at this age! :goodvibes Granted, we are down to just nursing at night before bed (and occasionally before a nap, if she asks), but I sometimes feel like the only one who's still going (she's currently 20 months). Good job! :thumbsup2

Ah, I think the turn signal thing is kinda funny! :rotfl: And now, if someone tells me they're from Maryland, I'm immediately going to think of it.

Ha ha, I've been quoted in a trip report! :cool1: And, yes, that is exactly what I'd say. We NEVER go to McDonald's in town. And we try to avoid it when out of town, but sometimes you really don't have choices...especially those travel plazas! (Nothing against McD's - there are just a lot of places I'd rather eat).

Bummer about the rain and bad traffic in Florida!

Yes, I think we have become the same type of hotel snobs as you. :snooty: As many Motel 6's that I've stayed at in my life, I think I'd have a lot of trouble going back there now...especially with a toddler.

Aw, I hope Aria and Izzy become BFFs! :goodvibes Izzy does tend to prefer older kids and I'm not sure if 8 months older is sufficient for her - we shall see!

Thanks on the ticker. Still can't believe I have that. :eek:

Wow, 9 nights - that's great! As someone who has done split stays, I think you are making the right call to stay put. Without a toddler, they were easy and worthwhile. But, like you, I don't want to do any work I don't have to do on a WDW trip - and moving a toddler and all their accessories to a new resort is not necessary work. I'm hoping we love Silver Lake this trip - sounds great.

Saw your question about going to the MK on a party day or not. Just asked Dug, because I know we've heard this before, but neither of us can remember for sure - we THINK that it is better to go on a party day, because the short hours limit people without park-hoppers, so they go to other parks that day instead. But don't quote me on that one. ;) Also, I'm pretty sure I saw a thread earlier about the Osborne Lights being confirmed. Again, though, don't quote me.

Haven't celebrated a birthday at Disney, but some of things I thought about for anniversary: Illuminations cruise, pontoon boat rental, & behind-the-scenes tour (would be hard to do with Gavin, unless someone can watch him, I guess). It's your birthday, though, so if you want CRT, go for it - especially since Gavin's still free and probably cool with princesses.

I've always been a fairly organized person but since becoming a mom it's definitely a must for me to be super organized! Yep we're definitely still nursing, no signs of stopping any time soon! The idea of split stays really appealed to me so I'm glad I thought it through... maybe with Gavin is older it won't see like so much of a hassle. We will see I guess. I can't wait to hear what you think of Silver Lake. I've seen other DISer's talk highly of it so I'm definitely considering it for our December trip. I just can't figure out where to book it though. We had an awful time trying to come up with plans for December. The other night we sat down and hashed out a rough plan so we could at least book our ADRs when the 180 day window started opening up for us. I know it will change a lot over the next 6 months but at least we have a plan! There are 5 party days during our trip so we will be hitting up MK or party days and non party days, plus doing the party ourselves! I decided against CRT. I think we're going to try to do the Wishes dessert party though!

Hi Melissa! Sorry I'm late!

I'm seriously impressed with your collection of Vera bags! I love planning and packing up the car for road trips. Having kids/babies adds about 22.5 lbs to the mix. Great job keeping Gavin entertained.

Glad your dad is recovering from his burns. How scary. It's fortunate that your brother was there to help drive him to the ER.

Your little guy is potty training already? That's awesome! It also means that you probably travel lighter by at least a whole bag! :)

Yay!! Arrival in Orlando!

Hey Brenda that's okay. I know how real life gets in the way of DIS time and it's hard to get back to it after a trip. Sadly that is not all my Vera bags and thanks to Disney collaborating with Disney I'm sure I will end up with some more too! We've been potty training since our return from Disney and it's going well! Next trip we will definitely be a bag lighter ;)

Paxton seemed to do pretty well with our long drive, but I think Gavin is the clear winner there! So great that he tolerated such a long couple of travel days. His set up in the backseat looks pretty awesome too.

We were definitely very lucky with how well Gavin did on the drive! I just hope December goes just as well.

I'm glad to hear your dad is doing a bit better. Still sending positive thoughts to him and your family. I'm sure he is still going through a lot of difficult times.

I'm impressed with your packing! I have some packing "Idiosyncrasies" *cough* OCD *cough* so I totally appreciate the way you had everything organized.

Your road trip with Gavin went REALLY REALLY well! We didn't really travel with the boys until they were 6 and 3, and I did a road trip Boston to NJ, just me and the boys, about 5 hours once but never anything as long as your trip.

The rain sounds like it was a pain for you. :(

I'll have to give some thought to your birthday dining "dilemma". Kona is a great start. I haven't been to The Plaza, but it sounds like you could have a lighter lunch there. Lots of choices in MK and the MK resort hotels.

:goodvibes

I am definitely OCD about some thing, packing is one of them! We definitely were lucky with how well Gavin handled the long drive. If not we would've been buying plane tickets for December in a hot hot hurry LOL. The rain was definitely a pain while we were driving. We booked Kona for breakfast and the Plaza for dinner on my birthday. I would like to do the Wishes dessert party that night so I thought the Plaza would be a nice lighter dinner. I just booked Kona as a brunch. Trying to do 3 ADRs seems like a lot of food for one day!

I am ridiculously behind on the DIS but just noticed that you subbed to my TR. That's how far behind I am because that was like, what, two weeks ago? :confused3 Anyway - I see you have a new TR going and I'm in. Can't wait to read all about your trip. Gavin is such a cutie. Isn't it great having an AP? So sad that mine is about to expire. :sad1:

Thanks :) I love being a Passholder. It's dangerous though. We had only planned on going one more time on it and we're already adding another trip LOL.

All caught up.

Gavin is so cute. those pictures at Steak n Shake (or is it Shake and Steak) are precious! He really did well with the drive.

Love how you thoroughly documented the time of everything - and even the temperature.

Hmmmm - I drive with a lot of Maryland drivers. They are better than Delaware drivers - I'll give you that.

I agree - you do have a lot of cute Veras. Have you ever stopped at the outlet down there.

Yay for arriving. :cool1:

Thanks! Well I had nothing better to do in the passenger seat so I documented everything. Oh I didn't know that about DE drivers! I have never been to the VB outlet but I hope to make time in December.

Joining in!

Always fun to read about others experiences with a toddler --- I just wrapped up our TR from our November trip when DD was 26 months. Fun, but exhausting!!

Gavin did so well in the car! We live in northern VA, and the drive sort of scares me....but seems like your little guy did just great.

And, I hate public restrooms so much too....but now that DD is potty-trained, I've spent more time in them than the last 5 yrs of my life combined. YUCK!

Can't wait to read more! :goodvibes

How did your DD do in Disney at 26 months? Gavin will be 28 months when we go back in December. We definitely got a good traveler on our hands, I just hope he can keep it up! Definitely not looking forward to all the time we're about to spend in public restrooms LOL.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought if you used those one day passes and went through the turnstile you could upgrade them. I didn't know there was a ticket that couldn't be upgraded. Bummer.

$17 for parking. :faint: That is pretty step! Ouch! I remember the first year I went there in 2002 and stayed off site and it was $10.

Your condo looks lovely. I do have to agree that the extra space is awesome. We stayed at a timeshare called the Polynesia Isles last June and it was wonderful to have all that space (not to mention that I paid about $100 a night with tax for it).

Gavin is just too cute and he really does look like a young man in that one photo of him using his new plate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter