• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay cast members hurricane evacuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a shelter built to withstand a Cat 5 and a small crew will be there to prep the island after.

It’s possible some non-essential island crew left with the Fantasy yesterday (or if anyone had to for immigration requirements).

11:00 PM EDT: Hurricane Dorian update. Currently high end Category 4, expected to stall over northern Bahamas which includes Castaway Cay. CC ia located west of Great Abaco Island. This ‘stall’ could last for 2-3 days over the northern Bahamas. This could mean significant damage (wind and flooding) at CC!

Was there yesterday and they are staying. Lifeguard was not looking forward to it joked “ dont wanna die” but was mire worried about dealing with sand clean up afterwards. I am thinking of the locals from neighboring islands. Those on Abacao. Bike rental lady, sweetest thing commutes there. She Is scared of the tornados and flooding. Fishing town of 600

Staying seems overly risky , high end Cat4? What is the highest elevation of castaway cay? Yesterday I heard storm surge of up to 20ft with waves 20-30ft high. Been to the island 4 times don’t remember any part of land that would survive that if the worst of the forecast happens

Staying seems overly risky , high end Cat4? What is the highest elevation of castaway cay? Yesterday I heard storm surge of up to 20ft with waves 20-30ft high. Been to the island 4 times don’t remember any part of land that would survive that if the worst of the forecast happens

In the non-guest areas there is a shelter built to withstand a Cat 5. There is a lot on the island we do not see.

With the possibility of the storm stalling over the northern Bahamas for 1-2 days there will be significant damage on these islands. I hope that the locals will be safe in their homes. Many of the islands are very low lying with the possibility of life threatening storm surge. I pray that everyone will be safe through this storm.

I feel so awful for the people of the Bahamas, they are going to be in to for so long.
This is a big, bad storm. :sad2:
We have lucked out with just a tropical storm warning.

Where are you? I’m in Brevard County (25 minutes south of Port Canaveral). The models are pulling it closer to us this morning again.

MouseinMelbour-Yes that is Castaway Cay. The large island shaped like a ‘7’ is Great Abaco. CC is just west of the southern end of Great Abaco. If you go to Google maps and put in Great Abaco. Then zoom in and you can see where it is.
The island is low lying and may well suffer severe storm surge flooding.
I hope that they evacuate the CMs.

If the eye of the storm misses CC there still will be significant damage. I live on Long Island, NY. Hurricane Sandy “came ashore” in New Jersey. New York City and western Long Island had significant damage with that ‘near miss’. We are still recovering in many areas. So having the eye/center miss does not mean that there won’t be significant damage especially with the storm being predicted to stall over the islands for 36 hours!

There ARE hills on the island. Disney does actually have a clue about some things - regardless of what many on here like to think.

You are talking like you have some specific knowledge of the island elevations and facilities , which I doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter