Castaway Cay Cabana Booking Disappointment

IrishCowboy

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s
I had a very disappointing experience last night. We are platinum, 23 cruises with DCL. I went ahead and paid off our reservation early so I could grab a cabana on Serenity Bay for our Sept 15, 2108 Fantasy Cruise. At 11PM CST, I logged on to DCL web site and and all cabanas were already booked. I know concierge gets the vast majority of them, but every single one?

I was really hoping to get one for this cruise, its a celebration for DD graduating from law school this weekend and she wanted to go back to DCL after many cruises on NCL over the past few years. At this point, we are leaning towards canceling this cruise and sailing on NCL. for less than $600 per person, we can sail in The haven on Norwegian Getaway that same week.

I had a very disappointing experience last night. We are platinum, 23 cruises with DCL. I went ahead and paid off our reservation early so I could grab a cabana on Serenity Bay for our Sept 15, 2108 Fantasy Cruise. At 11PM CST, I logged on to DCL web site and and all cabanas were already booked. I know concierge gets the vast majority of them, but every single one?

I was really hoping to get one for this cruise, its a celebration for DD graduating from law school this weekend and she wanted to go back to DCL after many cruises on NCL over the past few years. At this point, we are leaning towards canceling this cruise and sailing on NCL. for less than $600 per person, we can sail in The haven on Norwegian Getaway that same week.
As there are only 25 cabanas on Castaway Cay, and 41 Concierge rooms onboard the Fantasy, yes, it's quite possible that the cabanas are all gone.

My suggestion is to keep checking. Often people book them "just in case" as the time gets closer (where they're actually going to be charged for them) they will cancel them. If that doesn't work, check once onboard if there's a waiting list (often there is).

It is disappointing not being able to get a cabana when you're platinum, but keep checking you may snag one. Also, but your name on the wait list as soon as you board at the Port Adventures desk.

We sailed on The Dream last week, we booked a week before the cruise set sail and of course we weren't able to get a cabana.
But we had a beautiful day anyway. We put 2 chairs at the water's edge and rented 2 tubes for the day. There were plenty of empty lounges with umbrellas available as well and a couple hammocks. You can still enjoy the day without a cabana, but I get you, I know what a treat it is to have one.

Good Luck!!!
Congratulations to your daughter as well!

Yes, concierge usually gets them all, unfortunately, especially on the Dream class ships. I pretty much accept the fact that if I ever want to get a family beach cabana, I'm going to have to book concierge.

Last edited:

They do sometimes open up when people have second-thoughts about the expense, as pp said. I would also check again at the gold, silver, and first-time cruiser dates. It is possible DCL may hold back a couple of cabanas for those dates to give everyone an opportunity to get one (I have no evidence to base this on, just guessing it is a possibility, as I know from experience that happens with FastPasses and dining reservations at WDW).

They do sometimes open up when people have second-thoughts about the expense, as pp said. I would also check again at the gold, silver, and first-time cruiser dates. It is possible DCL may hold back a couple of cabanas for those dates to give everyone an opportunity to get one (I have no evidence to base this on, just guessing it is a possibility, as I know from experience that happens with FastPasses and dining reservations at WDW).
DCL does not hold back cabanas for later bookings. When they open (at 120 days) for Concierge/Platinum all cabanas (except the accessible one) are available.

DCL does not hold back cabanas for later bookings. When they open (at 120 days) for Concierge/Platinum all cabanas (except the accessible one) are available

Thanks for the correction; I was just guessing.

I will say, since the OP mentioned they preferred Serenity Bay, I do think your odds of getting a cabana are better than for the family beach. I searched every day for our cruise for the family beach and nothing, but a Serenity Bay cabana opened up no less than 3 times in the couple of months before our cruise. Maybe people book that not realizing it is adults only and have to adjust their plans. Also, you can always check any cruise meet boards or facebook for people announcing that they are giving up their cabana (I saw that happen a couple of times too).

Went on a Dream cruise back in 2016 for an anniversary. Wanted a Serenity Beach cabana but they were all booked. Checked the DCL web site every couple days and eventually snagged one (cabana 25). I saw another cabana open up on the family beach a couple weeks before that and it was available for a couple of days before someone snagged it. Keep checking and one might open up. BTW... when I first starting looking, I noticed that the cabanas always appeared at the end of the excursion list. I later realized that only the "booked" cabanas showed up at the bottom of the list. Cabanas that are available in listed higher up in the excursions list (maybe why the family beach cabana was open for a couple days).

DCL does not hold back cabanas for later bookings. When they open (at 120 days) for Concierge/Platinum all cabanas (except the accessible one) are available.

That's a change from my experience as a concierge guest. DCL concierge used to hold back one family and one SB cabana for last minute bookings on board for concierge guests. If they are not reserved by concierge guests, they are released to the general waitlist the night before CC. @PrincessShmoo, are you saying that has changed recently?

That's a change from my experience as a concierge guest. DCL concierge used to hold back one family and one SB cabana for last minute bookings on board for concierge guests. If they are not reserved by concierge guests, they are released to the general waitlist the night before CC. @PrincessShmoo, are you saying that has changed recently?
How long ago was "used to"?

The only cabana I know of that's held back is the accessible one. If Concierge is holding back one in each location, I'm not aware of it. Seems that holding back 1 out the 4 cabanas on Serenity Bay would be a bit piggish.

$600 per person to sail for 7 nights in the Haven on NCL??? I'd be in for that for sure. Does NCL have cabanas on its island?

The only cabana I know of that's held back is the accessible one. If Concierge is holding back one in each location, I'm not aware of it. Seems that holding back 1 out the 4 cabanas on Serenity Bay would be a bit piggish.
What happens if a concierge passenger needs the accessible cabana?

My last concierge cruise was 2014 and they were still holding 2 back at that time. That's why I said it was a change from my experience. So I take it, they no longer hold any back except the accessible one. Is this what you learned from your most recent concierge experience @PrincessShmoo?

We were on the Dream in Dec- platinum cruiser- and there were no cabanas left at midnight.
We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and really wanted one. There were concierge rooms left so we decided to upgrade for our anniversary.
After I received our email from concierge, I emailed back asking for a cabana. I assumed we would be put on a waiting list. We got a cabana with an hour. They must hold them because there were none left for us to reserve on our own. It was on the family beach as we requested (we have children). I was very happy but we joke that was one expensive cabana!! :)

We were on the Dream in Dec- platinum cruiser- and there were no cabanas left at midnight.
We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and really wanted one. There were concierge rooms left so we decided to upgrade for our anniversary.
After I received our email from concierge, I emailed back asking for a cabana. I assumed we would be put on a waiting list. We got a cabana with an hour. They must hold them because there were none left for us to reserve on our own. It was on the family beach as we requested (we have children). I was very happy but we joke that was one expensive cabana!! :)
Hmmm....OK, thanks.

Thanks for sharing your Concierge experience.:goodvibes Sounds like they may still be holding some back.

The first time we got a cabana was when we were still Silver. Nothing available when our booking window opened, but I checked back regularly and eventually one opened up and I was able to book. The only time we traveled concierge (Walt suite for my wife's 60th birthday) we were able to get 2 cabanas on the family beach for our travel party of 15. We were unable to dock due to rough seas, so couldn't use them and that is the only cruise I've done where I had leftover stateroom credit. Our last cruise we were unable to get a cabana as Platinum. Never found one available when checking periodically.

Are you sure you can book the Haven for a week for $600 per person ? That is a pretty incredible price - can you give me the dates please because I would like to book that!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter