CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say there will be cabins available at that point but probably not suites or Havana, and definitely at a higher price. Could you book it now and have the deposit money tied up until you find out her spring break schedule? If that’s a possibility, don’t book under the early saver fare, that doesn’t have a completely refundable deposit. We always book the past guest rate, it’s a little more $ per person but has a completely refundable deposit as long as you cancel in the proper amount of time.

I can hardly wait until they release summer 2021 for Mardi Gras, that ship looks so amazing!

We could book now, but I know me. If I were to book now and then had to cancel because her Spring Break time wouldn't work I'd be too upset. We spend very little time in our cabin. The suites look great. All we need are beds and a bath, so just as long as we get something we'd be happy. I still want to go on Disney's Magic at least one more time. I'm thinking we could do the 5night Magic during Christmas break 2020 and the Mardi Gras for Spring break if the timing works out. Of course then we have to see what Disney does with the new ships.

We could book now, but I know me. If I were to book now and then had to cancel because her Spring Break time wouldn't work I'd be too upset. We spend very little time in our cabin. The suites look great. All we need are beds and a bath, so just as long as we get something we'd be happy. I still want to go on Disney's Magic at least one more time. I'm thinking we could do the 5night Magic during Christmas break 2020 and the Mardi Gras for Spring break if the timing works out. Of course then we have to see what Disney does with the new ships.

I can't guarantee that you'll get the same price you see right now but there will be other promos.

Question of the day (LOL)

What are your favorite drinks on Carnival vs DCL ?

Mine are...

-Carnival: "The Fun Ship" (less expensive on embarkation day!) and "Hurricane Wave"

(Anything that taste more like juice than alcohol!)

-DCL: "Bahama Mama" and "Sunken Treasure".

What are yours?

Sort of. I was thinking more of at Epcot and AK I don't rush around and much and I spend more time enjoying the details of things. I enjoy just being in the park. It's more about experiences than rides...

Thank you for your review! One thing I have read in some reviews about Princess on cc is that the kids club doesn't do the Discovery activities they advertise. For my kids those activities would be a big draw, but they would be disappointed if they did not have them.

For those that compare cruise lines, does anyone else love reading guide books as much as I do? I am looking for a really great cruise guidebook. I know I can find information online at many sources, but there is something about curling up with a guidebook on a rainy afternoon that I just love. Looking for recommendations (not traveling until 2020, but looking to book by the end of spring).

Thanks for the info, I will pass that along to them! They've booked now! I think they will be fine to just find a quiet spot on the deck and hang out - that's probably what they would enjoy the most!

My dad really wants to do the America's cup sailing excursion in St. Maarten's - in fact that's what convinced him to do the cruise at all! I think my DH and dad would try to do that while my mom and I just hung out at the beach with the kids!

Great choice. That Fascination cruise out of San Juan is one I really want to try. The ship almost doesn't matter because the ports are so great. Your parents will enjoy it. The food on Carnival is quite good and there is always a quiet place somewhere on the ship to sit and read. Plus, what a great price. Our kids love the clubs too.

If you are really interested I would book the refundable rate now. Usually the second rate offered. You have to click other options, or something like that. Most CCL cruises start low and go up as time goes on, especially during school break times-- and especially new ships. On our Vista cruise in 2016, the overall cost of our cruise went up $1500 from the time we booked to a few months before sail date. If the rate drops and you become more sure of your plans, you can flip your rate to easy saver (non refundable fare) and get the savings. If you loose the spring break lottery, you can get your money back. No issues with refunds from Carnival, like dcl they are very professional. We have the same issue with spring break. Ours hovers around the 2nd week of March. Torture waiting for those calendars to come out! We've called it every year except next year (2020). Annoying.

Thank you for your review! One thing I have read in some reviews about Princess on cc is that the kids club doesn't do the Discovery activities they advertise. For my kids those activities would be a big draw, but they would be disappointed if they did not have them.
I think it is if the kids clubs have been updated. There is a schedule on the Princess website. The easy way to ensure that though is to sail a Royal class ship.

For those that compare cruise lines, does anyone else love reading guide books as much as I do? I am looking for a really great cruise guidebook. I know I can find information online at many sources, but there is something about curling up with a guidebook on a rainy afternoon that I just love. Looking for recommendations (not traveling until 2020, but looking to book by the end of spring).
Most of the books I've seen focus on the ports, not the ships. I think the Unofficial WDW guide might have a section for DCL.

Thanks for all the info about the refundable and nonrefundable fares. I need to look at how all of that is done for Carnival. Yesterday they had the fare in a red box and said that the sale/special price ended yesterday. So if a fare is in red is that the non-refundable price? I just looked again this morning and the price is the same as yesterday, but the box is now blue. Is that the refundable price or do the colors mean something else? I also want to look to see what all there is to do at some of the ports. I haven't been to a lot of the places Carnival goes to. I saw another ship has a trip to Bonaire, I'd love to go there. I know nothing about Amber Cove or Grand Turk. When I mentioned how much cheaper Carnival is than Disney(especially if we go with an OV or non-suite), my dh said we could go on 2 cruises a year if we go with Carnival, so that makes me even more excited to try them. I have a lot of research to do. I was actually surprised to see that Carnival even had cruises for 2021 for sell. Do they always have them 2 yrs out?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info about the refundable and nonrefundable fares. I need to look at how all of that is done for Carnival. Yesterday they had the fare in a red box and said that the sale/special price ended yesterday. So if a fare is in red is that the non-refundable price? I just looked again this morning and the price is the same as yesterday, but the box is now blue. Is that the refundable price or do the colors mean something else? I also want to look to see what all there is to do at some of the ports. I haven't been to a lot of the places Carnival goes to. I saw another ship has a trip to Bonair, I'd love to go there. I know nothing about Amber Cove or Grand Turk. I when I mentioned how much cheaper Carnival is than Disney(especially if we go with an OV or non-suite), my dh said we could go on 2 cruises a year if we go with Carnival, so that makes me even more excited to try them. I have a lot of research to do. I was actually surprised to see that Carnival even had cruises for 2021 for sell. Do they always have them 2 yrs out?

Yes, Carnival generally has cruises open for booking 2, sometimes 2+ years out. The general easy saver fare has a $50 per person penalty. Any remainder is a credit towards another cruise. They do come up with all kinds of names for fares-- I will get on their website later today and look at some of the specific ones. But the easy saver fare is great because it comes with a price guarantee. If your cruise drops after paid in full, you get the difference in OBC. We ended up with about $250 credit on our last cruise. On a new ship I would be surprised to see the fare go down, but you never know. That being said I would book another fare category at first until you can fully commit to the cruise. It is a bit of a game, but it is beneficial to the consumer. We are the same- we were doing 2 dcl cruises a year and then the prices jumped a few years ago and we were faced with the prospect of one dcl cruise or trying other lines. So worth it to try another line (or 2 or 3...). Really, we can do 3 cruises elsewhere for one dcl summer cruise, but we are a family of 5, so the price difference is really big for us. It is just really great how many choices there are out there today.

Thanks for all the info about the refundable and nonrefundable fares. I need to look at how all of that is done for Carnival. Yesterday they had the fare in a red box and said that the sale/special price ended yesterday. So if a fare is in red is that the non-refundable price? I just looked again this morning and the price is the same as yesterday, but the box is now blue. Is that the refundable price or do the colors mean something else? I also want to look to see what all there is to do at some of the ports. I haven't been to a lot of the places Carnival goes to. I saw another ship has a trip to Bonair, I'd love to go there. I know nothing about Amber Cove or Grand Turk. When I mentioned how much cheaper Carnival is than Disney(especially if we go with an OV or non-suite), my dh said we could go on 2 cruises a year if we go with Carnival, so that makes me even more excited to try them. I have a lot of research to do. I was actually surprised to see that Carnival even had cruises for 2021 for sell. Do they always have them 2 yrs out?

Pretty much, yes.

And when you book, they'll give you different options (Early Saver, Refundable, etc.)

Thanks for all the info about the refundable and nonrefundable fares. I need to look at how all of that is done for Carnival. Yesterday they had the fare in a red box and said that the sale/special price ended yesterday. So if a fare is in red is that the non-refundable price? I just looked again this morning and the price is the same as yesterday, but the box is now blue. Is that the refundable price or do the colors mean something else? I also want to look to see what all there is to do at some of the ports. I haven't been to a lot of the places Carnival goes to. I saw another ship has a trip to Bonair, I'd love to go there. I know nothing about Amber Cove or Grand Turk. When I mentioned how much cheaper Carnival is than Disney(especially if we go with an OV or non-suite), my dh said we could go on 2 cruises a year if we go with Carnival, so that makes me even more excited to try them. I have a lot of research to do. I was actually surprised to see that Carnival even had cruises for 2021 for sell. Do they always have them 2 yrs out?

Generally Early Saver is the lowest cost but comes with the most restrictions
All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. Future cruise credit must be used on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation

Fun Select is the most expensive but also the most flexible
Guest selects stateroom number. Two category upgrade based on availability in like to like categories only (interior to interior, ocean view to ocean view and balcony to balcony). Free room location upgrade is not available on upper/lower, obstructed, and cove categories. Change fees are not assessed outside of the final payment window. Refundable deposit subject to cancellation penalties.

You would want to check the terms and conditions closely for whichever rate you want closely. They sometimes have other deals, and once you have sailed with them there is a past guest rate which is kind of between the full price and early saver in terms of cost, but comes with refundable deposits.

Early Saver are the words to watch for. The rate is nice because if the price comes down you can put in a request to get the better price, if it's before final payment you just only pay the new rate, if it's after you get an OBC in the amount of the difference. But you'd better be sure of your dates. It costs $50 per person to change.

As for how far out you can book... I'm always surprised DCL doesn't show further out! RCL, NCL, Carnival, MSC have much further along schedules in general, Carnival being one of the soonest to put out their dates/itineraries.

As for ships, I'd recommend Dream class and above (Dream, Magic, Breeze, Vista, Horizon, Mardi Gras, Panorama). Sunshine and the refurbed/updated Sunrise (due to start soon) and Radiance also look quite nice. They have all the "fun stuff" like water slides, ropes courses, and of course Vista/Horizon/Panorama have the sky ride, Mardi Gras the coaster. Depending on the age of your kids, the family harbour rooms on Horizon/Mardi Gras/Vista/Panorama are pretty cool. If your kids are 12 and up then you could look at the Havana cabins which have their own pool area. But they do tend to book fast (very popular!). My son and I really enjoyed the Magic and are going on it again next March (doing southern to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Aruba and Curacao). We can't wait!

When I mentioned how much cheaper Carnival is than Disney(especially if we go with an OV or non-suite), my dh said we could go on 2 cruises a year if we go with Carnival, so that makes me even more excited to try them.
That's one of the reasons we jumped ship to Carnival. In 2017, we spent 2 straight weeks on Vista, (8 day southern and 6 day western B2B cruises), 2 connecting inside rooms cost us a little less than $10,000, including gratuity and trip insurance. I priced out the 7 night western on the Disney Fantasy and that would have been $11,000 for 2 insides, not including gratuity. Our first cruise on Carnival was an 8 night Mediterranean in 2016 on Vista, that cruise was only $3700 for 2 connecting inside cabins, we had so much fun, we knew at that time we had become Carnies. With that in mind, we've never done anything but Vista class ships, but will be Gold on Carnival this June when we sail her for the 4th time. We also have a 13 night Transatlantic booked for June 2020 on the Carnival Radiance, they are doing a $200,000,000 makeover of the Carnival Victory and renaming her Radiance. That cruise is only $5800 for the 4 of us in 2 connecting insides, it's an absolute steal of a price as far as I'm concerned. We're super excited about that cruise!

I am LOVING this review. I did my first Princess Cruise last June in Alaska and really loved it. I’m doing my first Disney Cruise in December.

I thought Princess had a relaxed classy vibe. I never felt “nickel and dimed”, and I enjoyed the cruise part and sea days more than I thought I would. There were plenty of things to do, but those beds were so comfortable and perfect for naps after long port days that I missed some activities.

I am pretty sure after you are finished with your review, I’m going to want to book another cruise with Princess. (Oh, where IS that money tree when I need it?!)
Um this is me after reading that review! Haven't sailed on Princess but price looks good. And what a great review @tidefan

ETA: I was just thinking and a Disney comparison hit me, not that it's perfect, but if Carnival/RCCL/NCL are like going to the Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios (or Universal), then Princess is more like going to Epcot or Animal Kingdom...
I love AK-my favorite park. Had a travel agent tell me once that Princess would be good fit for me as well... hmmm...must not book another cruise right now!

"Sunken Treasure".
Is this the same drink at Hurricane Hannah's at Beach Club?? Love this drink, and I have the recipe! Don't remember all the drinks I tried on Carnival ship...

Um this is me after reading that review! Haven't sailed on Princess but price looks good. And what a great review @tidefan

I love AK-my favorite park. Had a travel agent tell me once that Princess would be good fit for me as well... hmmm...must not book another cruise right now!

Is this the same drink at Hurricane Hannah's at Beach Club?? Love this drink, and I have the recipe! Don't remember all the drinks I tried on Carnival ship...

Hard to tell but I'll be at the Beach Club soon. I'll look at what they have there...

Edit: I googled and it looks like it's the same drink. :)

DH and I take notes of the drinks we try. This way we know what to order and what not to order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter