Carnival cruise canceled through fraud

Actually I am thinking about it and I don't even think you need a booking number to cancel DCL. They can look it up by giving them personal information and sail date.

I have had to move or change or cancel sail dates when I did not have my reservation handy and I think they asked my name, address maybe\phone number?? (I can't remember if they even needed that) and our sail date.

You would think at this point that the woman in the posted story would have learned her lesson about keeping her personal business off of social media, but apparently not ...

Just for a reminder, things you should never ever post unambiguously online, lest you give scammers enough info to pretend to be you or to determine when your home is likely to be empty for an extended period of time.

- Your full name or your children's full names
- Your real birthday and/or exact age
- You mother's family name and any posts linking a parent's obituary
- The name of the town where you were born
- Any dated vacation or work travel plans before you have returned from the trip
- Your real phone number &/or home address
- and for crying out loud, no confirmation codes for any kind of purchase.

What amazed me was that it could be done online and not require a phone call. But someone doing it maliciously might be willing to call.

If you are in a Facebook group, it’s your real name you use to chat. They would have all the info that DCL asks when you call them: date, ship, your name. I wonder if they ask for Reservation Number when cancelling something that big?

Wow. If someone is foolish enough to post enough information that someone could fraudulently cancel a cruise, they should feel lucky it wasn't worse. A lot of smart, tech savvy people out there who only seem to want to mess up other peoples' lives online.

I saw this story on Reddit and idk I have difficulty sympathizing with this woman. Not only did she post the details of her cruise on Facebook of all places but when Carnival themselves reached out and tried to offer her $10k in future cruise credit, she denied that and went straight to complaining on TikTok.

She was doing it to brag about booking the most expensive cabin on board. Were those Facebook likes really worth having your entire vacation canceled?

There's gotta be more to this story...? Possibly someone she knows, with a personal vendetta? What did the scammer gain? Maybe they took out insurance on the booking as well, but there was no refund.

What amazed me was that it could be done online and not require a phone call. But someone doing it maliciously might be willing to call.

If you are in a Facebook group, it’s your real name you use to chat. They would have all the info that DCL asks when you call them: date, ship, your name. I wonder if they ask for Reservation Number when cancelling something that big?
DCL will happily look up your reservation number for you with your information. I’ve canceled the reservations when I haven’t had the reservation number handy.

It seems to me that somebody could easily cancel a DCL reservation by calling in as long as they knew the names and travel dates

There's gotta be more to this story...? Possibly someone she knows, with a personal vendetta? What did the scammer gain? Maybe they took out insurance on the booking as well, but there was no refund.
Honestly, to me, it seemed like somebody from the Cruise group who was just bitter and angry, and wanted the person not to have their sailing.

They didn’t want to personally gain anything- they wanted to take something away from someone

I also wondered if there was more to the story. Another possibility I thought of was that someone else wanted that room, since it was apparently rebooked shortly after it was cancelled. It could have been someone in the Cruise group who couldn't get the room when they initially booked.

DCL will happily look up your reservation number for you with your information. I’ve canceled the reservations when I haven’t had the reservation number handy.

It seems to me that somebody could easily cancel a DCL reservation by calling in as long as they knew the names and travel dates
I mean, if you are canceling a $20K reservation, would DCL ask for something more than name, ship and sail date? If not, shouldn’t they? Maybe it’s time for a two-step process for security. Maybe a call-back to number in file.

I'm not familiar with Carnival's system, but I'm surprised someone else was able to link her reservation to a new account. My only experience is DCL, but if my reservation number is connected to my account, someone else can't "claim" it in their account. Definitely more to this story.

Scammers/Fraudsters are looking for financials gain from their victims. The person, who is cancelling other peoples' cruises, is just being evil and emotionally cruel.

I doubt insurance would cover the victim, if the person was making personal/private information public.

I didn't read the article, is the person taking ownership of their situation?

My only experience to date with Carnival was someone using my email address to book their vacation. I ignored it at first but I kept getting confirmations and finally payment reminders. I ended up calling them and asking them to remove me from the account. Thankfully for them I'm not a horrid person who would cancel on them... but I could have.

Pretty much anyone can cancel any trip by just calling and giving a tiny bit of information. This is true for hotels, flights, cruises...pretty much anything. There's very little security when it comes to that. Booking with a TA does add an extra level of security because the TA is the one who would need to cancel, and additional info is required about the TA to access a reservation.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest