cape may dinner questions- food allergy

memakwed

DIS Veteran
My husband is allergic to shell fish. The allergy is not life threatening, instead makes him sick to his stomach and some swelling in extremities. Any way we have always avoided this restaurant just to be on the safe side. This trip however, he said it would be fine to try for something different since we are celebrating mothers day and my dads 70th bday on the trip and wanted to change things up. I've read the menu and reviews my question is this for those that have been for dinner: Is there more than one item on the carving station? The menu said strip, some reviews have said prime rib but pictures from reviews looked more like ham off the bone. I'm trying to figure out his options. I just want to make sure he can enjoy something too.
Also I read a menu that was current as of summer 2017 is anyone aware of menu changes and updates since then. I originally wanted to book a Thursday but looking at the menu Sunday seems more appropriate.

We were there on Dec. 24, 2017. I was underwhelmed. If you aren’t there for the crab leg feeding free-for-all, the pickings are slim in my opinion.

I’m not a huge crab leg fan and I remember that there was really little else to enjoy. There was no salad bar to speak of. I won’t be paying buffet prices for not a lot of choices.

We love Cape May and while our last visit was in May 2016, I did want to mention that on that trip we traveled with my mom who has several food allergies/intolerances - gluten, dairy, soy among others. The staff was wonderful and the chef made her multiple allergy-free dishes in the back. I know one was meat and I remember Brussels sprouts too. She had so much food she asked to take it home (which they allowed because it was specially made). We loved the prepared salads too. I think they will take good care of your husband so if the menu appeals to others in your party, I would give it a try.

the carving station has delicious meat, the ribs are a fav here and the salads... there are a few to choose from that are so good. the cape may salad with cranberries and feta was amazing. there was hummus and various breads too. soups, penne vodka pasta . plenty to enjoy without touching seafood! ribs were on sat and thurs and one other day i believe

I am not a huge seafood eater and I enjoy Cape May Cafe.
They definitely do have a variety of salads, soup, peel and eat shrimp, chicken, pasta etc

My husband is allergic to shell fish. The allergy is not life threatening, instead makes him sick to his stomach and some swelling in extremities. Any way we have always avoided this restaurant just to be on the safe side. This trip however, he said it would be fine to try for something different since we are celebrating mothers day and my dads 70th bday on the trip and wanted to change things up. I've read the menu and reviews my question is this for those that have been for dinner: Is there more than one item on the carving station? The menu said strip, some reviews have said prime rib but pictures from reviews looked more like ham off the bone. I'm trying to figure out his options. I just want to make sure he can enjoy something too.
Also I read a menu that was current as of summer 2017 is anyone aware of menu changes and updates since then. I originally wanted to book a Thursday but looking at the menu Sunday seems more appropriate.

There are many non-seafood options, but probably the main draw are the wonderful crab legs.

The carving roasts seem to change - we've had different types, but all beef. They have great salads, pasta dishes, some nights ribs - (Mon, Thurs. Sat), another meat dish, and lots of veggies. No one would go hungry with so many various offerings.

We go every trip, sometimes twice, and have always had great yummy meals there.

We were there on Dec. 24, 2017. I was underwhelmed. If you aren’t there for the crab leg feeding free-for-all, the pickings are slim in my opinion.

I’m not a huge crab leg fan and I remember that there was really little else to enjoy. There was no salad bar to speak of. I won’t be paying buffet prices for not a lot of choices.

Not a lot of choices?? We were just there in Dec. also. Are we talking about the same wonderful full of choices buffet? :confused3

The smell of seafood permeates the entire room.

Given your husbands sensitivity, I'm not sure I'd be recommending this place for you.

My suggestion is not based on his allergy, but rather, "Why do that to your husband?"

We went in 2016. Our DD is a vegetarian and one of our sons has multiple food allergies. The chef made our daughter a wonderful vegetarian meal. She was the only one who was happy with her meal. Our sons ended up sitting in the lobby as the seafood smell really distorted the taste of everything else (for us). We will not go back. There are too many other restaurants to enjoy.

The smell of seafood permeates the entire room.

Given your husbands sensitivity, I'm not sure I'd be recommending this place for you.

My suggestion is not based on his allergy, but rather, "Why do that to your husband?"
Good to know about the smell. I just asked and he says it will not bother him. I'm not doing anything to my husband but thanks for looking out for him.

i would totally avoid it . It smells like seafood when you walk in. There is so much potential for cross contamination also being that it is a buffet. If you really want to go maybe he would enjoy a little me time and have a quiet meal by himself in the pub down a few doors. they have a nice selection of beer on tap and it is quiet and an enjoyable setting. It could be fun for him and the rest of the family can tell him all about their great seafood meal afterwards.

We were there last month. DW does not do seafood and is also gluten free, but I enjoy everything. Even at that, I was underwhelmed by the seafood (even the crab legs were rather tough) and DW found the only non-seafood protein she enjoyed was the beef from the carving station (strip loin when we were there). I also had some and found it to be better than some of the seafood choices. The chicken was also nothing special. We likely won't return, since we get a much better meal at Flying Fish or Jiko if we don't do a buffet and at Boma or Tusker House for a dinner buffet.

I am confused...the salad bar is what brings me back. It's huge in size and variety! I absolutely love it!

Seriously - my entire $50 gets spent on plates and plates of salad, cheese, breads, dips, mussles, and dessert.

I do not care for seafood....at all. The only seafood I eat, for the most part, is shrimp and I've never been there when they had shrimp. I love Cape May. Is is my first choice? No. But have I eaten there four times and been happy? Yes. The meat is good and there is always PLENTY of options for me and I'm always more than full. It does smell like seafood as one would expect, but no more than say, Red Lobster and it didn't bother me

if he's ok with smelling seafood and the only issue is with ingesting it, then there will be a lot of other options there.

Not a lot of choices?? We were just there in Dec. also. Are we talking about the same wonderful full of choices buffet? :confused3

I am confused...the salad bar is what brings me back. It's huge in size and variety! I absolutely love it!

Seriously - my entire $50 gets spent on plates and plates of salad, cheese, breads, dips, mussles, and dessert.

Maybe I should have added that we were newly minted Weight Watchers and everything seemed to be pre-made, pre-sauced for you.

I prefer a salad bar where I choose the items and dressing amount. I like entrees without heavy creams and sauces. In my opinion, the draw here is none of those items, but the all you can eat shellfish.

The good news was I lost weight after the trip so it wasn’t all bad for me. :p

Maybe I should have added that we were newly minted Weight Watchers and everything seemed to be pre-made, pre-sauced for you.

I prefer a salad bar where I choose the items and dressing amount. I like entrees without heavy creams and sauces. In my opinion, the draw here is none of those items, but the all you can eat shellfish.

I can see that. That cheese, though. I know it is a basic spread, but it is refilled so often, with some fantastic bleu. I mean bleu + mussels...I am happy. Happy, happy, Happy!

OK, gotcha!! Definitely would not be a Weight Watchers menu!! :) Congratulations on your efforts - I truly understand!!

I definitely watch my food intake most of the year, but special occasions, and most definitely vacations, I enjoy whatever - which is most things, but definitely seafood!! Usually don't have weight issues if I keep it at that!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter