can't stand the Combi stroller I bought for disneyland!

bumbershoot

DIS Legend
I've gone back and forth about posting this, figuring I should just talk about it when we're back, but...just now I realized that if I were someone thinking about that stroller, I'd like to hear more about it.

On our last two short visits to DL, we've rented a stroller. Hardly used it because we're more of a kid-wearing family, but it was nice to have. However, it was a bit constraining on DS's shoulders, even when he was just over 1, so we figured this trip at 3 it would just be too small.

So I started a search for an inexpensive stroller (we have a jogging stroller that I love, as much as I can love a stroller, but I'm not taking it on a plane and I'm NOT taking The Beast to a crowded park!) that would work.

MacClaren (or however you spell it) was just too much moola for this purpose.

I found the Combi cosmo line, and liked it. One day while we had a gift certificate, I found one on amazon for a very low price. Not the color combo I wanted originally, but hey, who really cares? And I like orange anyway. :)

Thought it was very cute, didn't think it handled like a lead pipe, as I'd read somewhere around here. Perfectly fine. Um, for inside the house. :rolleyes1

We just moved to an urban area (sidewalks instead of walking through the innertube-popping tundra to GET to the sidewalks that take you nowhere) and decided to take it to the farmer's market yesterday. We weren't even off the block of our apartment building when I realized how much I hated it!!! DH is only 5' 10", but he had to lean weirdly over for the handle. I said I'd take over, thinking it would be totally fine for my 5'3" height. But the wheels are in such a place that I was kicking them! I have hobbit feet (hence my name on another board, ha ha), short and wide. They aren't long feet that should kick anything. So then I had to hold the stroller out from me so I wouldn't kick it, which then made me look almost like DH using the stroller.

I will say DS liked it. Was giggling, though I think it was b/c the hard wheels caused a funny vibration/tickle on his bottom.

Another issue. Now, there MIGHT be a way to lock the thing open. I haven't explored it, and right now I can't find the manual. But when I would do a "wheelie" to get it up on a sidewalk without a cut in it, the stroller started to fold up! Convenient when done with the walk and I want to put it away. NOT convenient when DS is in it! But there might be a way to lock that. And I don't think I'd need to do that move to get onto sidewalks at DL, since I remember walking in the "street" most of the time while there. But that makes it especially important, b/c I won't have the constant practice and reminder NOT to do that wheelie move, I might do it more often.

So I think we'll consign it. We *just* threw away the box, and I'm fairly sure we're beyond amazon's return window anyway. I have to find the manual though, as I like selling things with the manual. Since it's only been used once I'll likely get a good return on it.

But I'll have to spend more than that, because we've decide to just RENT for the days we're there. :upsidedow

Hope that helps someone out there!

Also, it steers terribly. I don't know what I was thinking before yesterday, thinking that it steered just fine. :confused: I guess it just handles differently on kitchen tile than it does outside.

BUT it is VERY cute. An attractive little stroller. The lower basket looks small, but I like how the opening to it is elasticized. And I like the carry-strap.

Awww, sorry that you purchased a stinker.

I've got a Combi (didn't think it was a Cosmo, but it sure looks the same). I've never had any trouble having it fold up while DD is in it, but you do sort of have to push down on the bar in the front when you open it to make sure it snaps open.

I have the same trouble about kicking the wheels though (I'm 5'7"). I wish the handle were just a bit longer -- and the padding in the seat is kind of floppy and it takes me forever to find the straps and get DD strapped in.

And I can't say anything to DH because *I'm* the one who convinced him to buy this stroller! ;) But, I think it turned me into a babywearing Mom, too. I'd much rather take my Ergo Baby Carrier than mess with the stupid stroller!

Kim,
Mom to DS(6.5) and DD(3)
Heading to WDW in Dec, 2007

I've gone back and forth about posting this, figuring I should just talk about it when we're back, but...just now I realized that if I were someone thinking about that stroller, I'd like to hear more about it.

On our last two short visits to DL, we've rented a stroller. Hardly used it because we're more of a kid-wearing family, but it was nice to have. However, it was a bit constraining on DS's shoulders, even when he was just over 1, so we figured this trip at 3 it would just be too small.

So I started a search for an inexpensive stroller (we have a jogging stroller that I love, as much as I can love a stroller, but I'm not taking it on a plane and I'm NOT taking The Beast to a crowded park!) that would work.

I found the Combi cosmo line, and liked it. One day while we had a gift certificate, I found one on amazon for a very low price. Not the color combo I wanted originally, but hey, who really cares? And I like orange anyway. :)

Thought it was very cute, didn't think it handled like a lead pipe, as I'd read somewhere around here. Perfectly fine. Um, for inside the house. :rolleyes1

We just moved to an urban area (sidewalks instead of walking through the innertube-popping tundra to GET to the sidewalks that take you nowhere) and decided to take it to the farmer's market yesterday. We weren't even off the block of our apartment building when I realized how much I hated it!!! DH is only 5' 10", but he had to lean weirdly over for the handle. I said I'd take over, thinking it would be totally fine for my 5'3" height. But the wheels are in such a place that I was kicking them! I have hobbit feet (hence my name on another board, ha ha), short and wide. They aren't long feet that should kick anything. So then I had to hold the stroller out from me so I wouldn't kick it, which then made me look almost like DH using the stroller.

I will say DS liked it. Was giggling, though I think it was b/c the hard wheels caused a funny vibration/tickle on his bottom.

Another issue. Now, there MIGHT be a way to lock the thing open. I haven't explored it, and right now I can't find the manual. But when I would do a "wheelie" to get it up on a sidewalk without a cut in it, the stroller started to fold up! Convenient when done with the walk and I want to put it away. NOT convenient when DS is in it! But there might be a way to lock that. And I don't think I'd need to do that move to get onto sidewalks at DL, since I remember walking in the "street" most of the time while there. But that makes it especially important, b/c I won't have the constant practice and reminder NOT to do that wheelie move, I might do it more often.

So I think we'll consign it. We *just* threw away the box, and I'm fairly sure we're beyond amazon's return window anyway. I have to find the manual though, as I like selling things with the manual. Since it's only been used once I'll likely get a good return on it.

But I'll have to spend more than that, because we've decide to just RENT for the days we're there. :upsidedow

Hope that helps someone out there!

List it in your local craigslist.org

Clean up the stroller, find the manual and say you've bought it less than few weeks ago but your daughter prefers the carrier instead.

If you got it for a good deal, I bet you'll get almost full price you paid.

check your pm also

I'm lucky to have a really good consignment/resale store that I've used before. Actually the only thing they consign are maternity clothes; everything else is looked over, priced, and you can take it or leave it. :)

I have that, the infant seat (perfect condition, as it should be from being used LESS than 4 months before he outgrew it by height...we were holding on to it for a future baby, but that hasn't worked yet, and it would be AT LEAST a year from now, and I'd rather someone get 3 years of use of it before the expiry date, than us have maybe 2 years, maybe less, maybe none), and the cheapo Ikea highchair we don't need anymore (got rid of our dining room table when we moved!)....spend some time making sure they are perfect, and soon they will be gone and replaced by some cash. :)

I'm super-bummed though, it was really cute.

Now where's that silly manual?

bought this stroller as well. kiddos loved in all over the house for 3 days (tile, hardwood, even carpet) I wanted to give it a good test run.
First day out shopping (mall, Costco) I wondered what I was thinking! I hated the way it strolled, awful steering, clumsy, on and on. I returned it later that same afternoon! And I loved the carrying strap. Loved the look, etc. but it just did not stand up to "real" usage.

bit the bullet. My new Maclaren Volo (less then a month old is my dream come true) I can not say enough good things. well, except that I went and bought the second one 2 days ago:rolleyes1

I second craigslist. Also keep in mind, Maclaren has great resale value!

We bought a $30 Jeep stroller for our WDW trip last year. It handled fine and when the handles got a little torn up on the plane it wasn't a big deal. However, I think the 'kicking wheels' thing might be something you run into on other strollers. I'm 5'7" and DH is 5'11", we were constantly kicking the wheels when pushing it. DD9 is the best one to push her brother when we use it (which she :love: to do-so we benefit from this arrangement).

I was once considering a combi and one time I saw someone else pushing one and couldn't believe how tiny it looked. My 6'4 DH would be in pain pushing it!

oh but I did love how that combi folded up!

never ever kicked the tires on our Maclarens (my Dad is 6'3" and said what a nice stroller it was!

We went with the Maclaren Quest after purchasing an Aria (not good for a 36 lb child whom wants to sit up and see, if he sat back fine, otherwise so hard to steer). I decided I easily spend that much renting a stroller and like one for the hotel, DTD and other places. DS was 3 1/2 and we have had it just about a year, we by far have gotten our money out of it!

I saw that cute Jeep one, but the weight limit didn't work.

The only other stroller we've had is a nice jogging stroller (In Step/Schwinn), and there's NO tire-kicking with that. I think most people have a jogger AND another sort of stroller, but since we're baby-wearers, we only had the jogger. Plus, the DL rental is a jogging type...I'd never used a lightweight sort of stroller before, and just didn't anticipate the kicking thing! :)

Can only second the person who loves the Maclaren Volo. Bought one at Target before we left for our trip because our little one was able to stick his feet in the wheels of the cheap umbrella stroller. We also liked the idea that my 7 year old (who is little) could ride when my 3 year old wanted to walk.

All I can say is that it was the best purchase I have made in a while. We kept water bottles, ponchos, and autograph pages in the bottom. We were able to fold it up with the ponchos in the bottom. It was very easy to push for both of us (I am about 5' 2'' and hubby is 5' 10"). Also, we used an extra adult poncho as a rain cover.

oohhh! did I mention yet that the new 2007 Maclaren models come in really fun snazzy colors and the Volos now include the built to fit perfectly rain shield?! yeah!

now I am craiglisting and ebaying around looking for someone who has a rain shield from either the Triumpn or Quest they don't want or a new Volo shield would be the best but I'll take what I can get.

Yes, My name is K. and I am a stroller addict.

Don't you wish things worked as good as they looked?

I have a Combi Twin Sport that I bought for my two boys (they are 20 months apart). I thought it was awesome. I have mixed feelings about it at this point. I will say, however, that the Combi double steers a thousand times better that the Cosmos!!!! When it was time to buy a new umbrella stroller for my younger DS, I was considering the Cosmo, since he is comfy in the Combi Twin Sport, but when I put him in it at the store, it was AWFUL! I don't know how they can continue to manufacture that thing. It actually handles like the brakes are on.

FYI, when you unfold the stroller, you should hear an audible "snap". That is the locking mechanism that keeps the stroller open. It really seems to me that you may have gotten a defective stroller. That is a major safety issue and you should not sell it if it doesn't stay open with a child in it! Even though you don't still have the box, if you can produce a copy of your receipt and contact either Combi or Amazon about returning it (due to defect--the Combis have a 1 year warranty from date of purchase), you may be able to either get your money back OR get a new one shipped out. You can sell a brand new in box one on Ebay for almost the price of it new. Be advised that Combi recommends going up curbs by turning the stroller around, and pulling UP on the handle to bring the back wheels over the curb first, followed by the front wheels.

http://www.combi-intl.com/

Go here, under "customer care" you can donwnload the instruction manual for your stroller. It also has the 800# to call if there is something wrong with the stroller.

And, although you are determined not to spend too much $$$...I can't say enough good things about Maclarens. I just purchased my SECOND one (for when we go to DL and we don't want to take the Combi.)

WOW, I am the odd ball. I have a twin savvy and a single combi and I love them both. We are rough on our strollers and they have held up very well. Also, all of my friends have converted to combi strollers. Hmm weird you all are getting a different experiences

I just researched WDW strollers and ended up with the Maclaren Volo. We haven't used it yet but I think I am going to be happy. I found one at Target (they only had silver) and it was 99.99. I used the 10% off pharmacy rewards card and a $10 off of $100 that I got on the back of a Target catalog. I thought $80 was very reasonable for this stroller.

Well, the mechanism for folding the stroller is to lift up on the handles...so when I'm being naughty and popping the stroller up onto a curb, that mechanism is being triggered.

We'll have to try it again before selling it, it's a good point, if it's a "lemon", wouldn't want to pass that along!

We're still just going to rent the stroller from Disneyland...DL is the only place we'll use the thing (the market trip was only to test it out), and it's just not worth the storage space in between! :)

And I found the manual. Yay!

Sometimes you have to pay a few bucks more to get a quality product. I had a Combi and HATED it. It pushed okay for a bit when DD didnt weigh too much, but then when she was only 2 1/2 or so it wouldnt push at all. The frame was so rickity and I felt like the plastic frame would snap in two at any time. The handle was so low you had to bend over to push it.
I bought a Maclaren Volo for $68 shipped a couple of years ago just for Disney trips and it was the best money ever spent. It cost less than renting for one trip and we have used it for the past two. Got our moneys worth indeed. We dont need a stroller for DD at home either, but it is great for theme parks. I loved this stroller so much that I just bought a Mac Quest for our new DD (due in a few months) and got it for $120 shipped.
You cant go wrong with the Macs. They have a VERY sturdy frame, high handles to push with and they push like a dream. They also have a high weight capacity for older kids. My DD is 8 1/2 now and could still ride in it easily if I needed her to.
I would resell the Combi if you can and invest in a stroller that will last and give you what you want.

until I actually bought and used a Maclaren, I too would have been a neighsayer, to ugly, to much money, etc. but once you push one for any length of time you realize you did not know how hard you were working just to push your other models. I highly recommend putting your child in the Maclaren and taking a nice long test drive. unbelievable difference.

my only question is why did I wait so long. so to OP, check albeebaby.com for a great price on a volo or do the coupon stacking thing at Target or look resale and you will be one happy mama even if you are only using it minimally.

I ended up not buying resale tho b /c everyone wanted so much for them used! I did end up buying from mystroller.com The customer service/ on-line ordering was phenominal and I had my stroller at my door in less then 24 hours, free shipping! and they have new 2007 models in stock.

I promise, I do not work for this company!

I'm so glad I check out this thread! :cool1: I seriously almost just bought a Combi Cosmo for our trip in August but wasn't sure about it so I thought I'd check here to see if I could find out other's opinions. Leaning towards a Mac even though it's killing me how much they are. It's for my 5 1/2 year old. She'll wilt in the high temps so I have to have a stroller for her. Thanks again for all the posts. They were really helpful!:thumbsup2

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest