Canon S3

082.jpg

Nice panning on this one!:thumbsup2

I have no idea what happened. Yesterday we were at Disney On Ice and I noticed that the view through the viewfinder was blurry. Even the icons are blurry. The weird thing is the pictures were still clear! The screen is not blurry. I googled this and it said something about the "diopter"?? I messed with the dial and everything is still bad.
We leave for Disney in 10 days! Help me Please!!:worship:

There is a tiny little rollerball on the side of the viewfinder. Try turning it until your view isn't blurry anymore.

There is a tiny little rollerball on the side of the viewfinder. Try turning it until your view isn't blurry anymore.

THANK YOU X ONE MILLION!
That worked! I didn't even know that was there!
Much Appreciated!!

Kelsi

S3 Question...
I have had this camera for almost 3 years now and am learing some good tips.
A lot of you have recommended to shoot in the P mode. How is this different from Auto??

Auto is automatic everything: the camera does all the settings.

P lets the camera take care of shutter and aperture, but you can still tweak things like ISO, white balance, etc.

I have an s5 8.0 mp powershot, what is the new equivalent? I am gettig the lens error restart camera error

I'm not sure why I haven't seen this thread before. I love this series of camera! I had the S2 for a few years, and then moved to the S5 about 2 years ago. I just got the SX20 IS. Our Disney trip next week is the first time we'll be there during the holidays. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting good pics of the Castle lit up, Osbourne lights, etc. I'm usually happy with my Disney pics, but since I've never gone this time of year, I want to get that perfect Castle lit shots, etc. :) Thanks in advance for any tips!

I'm not sure why I haven't seen this thread before. I love this series of camera! I had the S2 for a few years, and then moved to the S5 about 2 years ago. I just got the SX20 IS. Our Disney trip next week is the first time we'll be there during the holidays. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting good pics of the Castle lit up, Osbourne lights, etc. I'm usually happy with my Disney pics, but since I've never gone this time of year, I want to get that perfect Castle lit shots, etc. :) Thanks in advance for any tips!

A mini-tripod is a must. Set it on top of a garbage can or some other fixed structure and use the 2-sec. timer setting to minimize any chance of the camera still wobbling from pushing the button.

Try these settings:
Av Mode with the Aperture set to the smallest number.
ISO - 80 (or, whatever's lowest for the SX20)
Center-weighted metering.

This will allow the camera to pick the proper/best shutter-speed for the exposure (probably a longer one, which is why the tripod is necessary).

S3 came first, then the S5, now the S10. I don't know that they make the earlier models anymore. Each model has a few newer features and I believe the S10 has 20x zoom (the S3 has 12x--that's the model I have).

SO its just the zoom thats differnt? You can still get the s3 used and its the one canon thats in my budget.

well it's a little more than just the zoom that's different, one thing that's different is the MP (mega pixel) number, however the S3 from what I understand with the lower MP level will provide sharper pictures. The S5 is the model that I have and absolutely love all the features of the camera, similarly to the S3, it has the 12x optical zoom, I tend to turn off the digital zoom. If you have any questions/concerns about the camera ask, I'm sure someone here will respond.:thumbsup2

well it's a little more than just the zoom that's different, one thing that's different is the MP (mega pixel) number, however the S3 from what I understand with the lower MP level will provide sharper pictures. The S5 is the model that I have and absolutely love all the features of the camera, similarly to the S3, it has the 12x optical zoom, I tend to turn off the digital zoom. If you have any questions/concerns about the camera ask, I'm sure someone here will respond.:thumbsup2

Hi! I have an S3 and upgraded to the SX10 IS last year. Flanigan is correct - in general, I get much sharper photos (and a higher number of "keepers") with my S3 than the SX10. The S3 works better in low light, too (at least for me). BUT....you can't beat the zoom on the SX10 or its photos in bright sunlight.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the S3, S5, SX10. By the way, the SX10 is also an "old" model - Canon has come out with the SX20.

Ok so its alot about the mega pixels and zoom.

I print mostly 8 by 10's at the largest. How many megapixels do I need? Right now I have a 3x optical zoom on my current camrea and a 5x digtial zoom. Its 10.2 megapixels.

Also is this better than the S3? Canon PowerShot SX120IS 10MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Images Stabilized Zoom and 3-inch

I print mostly 8 by 10's at the largest. How many megapixels do I need? Right now I have a 3x optical zoom on my current camrea and a 5x digtial zoom. Its 10.2 megapixels.

Also is this better than the S3? Canon PowerShot SX120IS 10MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Images Stabilized Zoom and 3-inch

Well, I hate to say it as it is not much help, but better is an objective term. It really depends upon your needs. As you print some 8x10 photos you only really need a 4MP camera to get good quality print outs at that size (Source of Info). Both the S3 IS and the SX120 IS will easily provide nice prints at the 8x10 size.

The SX120 IS is a little smaller and lighter of a camera than the S3IS.

I'm sure you've looked at them, but here's the full specs of both cameras:

S3 IS Spec Listing
SX120 IS Spec List

Sorry if I've not helped much, but I want to only provide information and not really sway your decision, because in the end you need to be happy with the camera you choose.

6MP is plenty for an 8"x10".

If the S3 is the only one that's in your budget, I'd *highly* recommend it. I love mine, and use it a LOT. I've taken almost 10,000 pictures with it, so far!! :goodvibes

Though Canon has certainly added new features to later models (more zoom, more megapixels, higher ISO, face-detection, etc), I don't think they've really topped the S3 for image quality.

LPZStitch and Flanigan are correct. I've also had 8x10's made from photos taken with my S3 and they're beautiful.

I just wanted to add that whenever you're looking at cameras, don't even consider digital zoom - it's worthless. Turn it off on whatever camera you have. Optical zoom uses the lens to bring things closer; digital zoom just enlarges the pixels. Digital zoom might look ok on the screen on the back of the camera, but once you see the photo on your computer monitor, it's horrible. Use digital zoom only as a last resort to capture a memory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter