• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cannon Digital Rebel XT or Nikon D50

nelle

DIS Veteran
I know that I am going to get different opinions on this one but what do you all think? The guy at the camera store actually picked the Nikon over the XT. I'm not a professional photographer in case that matters.

They are similar cameras with similar capabilities and features. They both take great pictures. I'm partial to the Nikon (I have a D70) because it feels and fits better in my hand than the Canon Rebel series.

I too like them both. The Nikon was cheaper, but it did not fit in my hand. I got the Canon Rebel XT and could not be happier.

I chose the Nikon D50 over the XT after reading several reviews. It was more highly rated in my photography magazine as well.

Another happy Nikon owner here, too! I chose the D50 over the XT based upon the reviews but I also asked the few pros I came across. Almost all of them recommended the D50 to their friends. After I bought it, I couldn't be more happier! I'm sure the XT takes great photos but I'm very pleased with the photos taken on my D50.

We also did the Nikon (D70) route. Both my husband and I research (ad nauseum) before we buy and decided that the Nikon fit the bill for our needs.
We love the camera.

If I had the choice between the 350 and the D50 today, I'll choose Nikon for 2 reasons:

1. Size (I don't like tiny sized camera)
2. The superzoom/walkaround lens for this camera is available with VR (Vibration Reduction) option

On the other hand:

1. Nikons have higher contrast than Canon (not necessarily a good thing, depends on taste; you can make low contrast pics higher in Photoshop but not the other way round)
2. I already have Canon lenses from years ago (that also have Image Stabilization too, just not my walkaround lens)

I own a Digital Rebel 300D. I'm a Canon fan.

But I have never liked the feel of the Rebel XT 350D. It's smaller than most SLRs, and feels lighter and cheaper than my 300D. Lighter isn't a bad thing, but when you make the camera more fragile to achieve it, that's not good.

I had to look around a lot to find my 300D. If I hadn't been able to find one, I probably would have wound up with a Nikon D50.

I just ordered a D50 from amazon on Friday. I'm hoping to have it by Thurs or Fri of this week.

I have been interested in getting a dSLR since I saw the first Nikon's come out a few years ago for $4000. From all the reviews I read last week (I originally was wanting the D70s), the D50 is just as good as the D70 & D70s minus a few things that entry level dSLR users wont miss. The reviews I read comparing the Nikon and Canon leaned more towards the Nikon.

I have been using Nikon's since the late 80's when I got my 6006. I've been using the N70 for about 8 years now.

The D50 is bigger than the 350 and also seems to have more weight to it, which with any SLR is what you want. Gives it more stability.

I just purchased the Rebel XT. I liked the fact that it was lighter and I'm also a Canon fan. I've used Nikons in the past (including one of the first digital SLRs) and they always seemed a tad too complicated to operate. The Canon digital cameras that I've owned all seemed more intuitive to me.

Should also add that I had a Canon Speedlight flash that cost me a fortune so I wanted to stay with the Canon brand. :rotfl2:

I wouldn't discount the importance of weight. If a camera starts becoming a burden to lug around, chances are you won't be lugging it around and it becomes a permanent fixture in your closet.

Thanks for the info and help! I'm still not sure what to get but I will go the the camera store and try them out more, I never thought to see how heavy they feel or how good they fit in my hand :confused3 . I'll also make my DH go with to try them out since he's the one who carries the camera most I definately don't want to here him complain about it being too heavy :rotfl: .
Thanks again,

I just got the XR and I'm THRILLED so far!! :goodvibes

I'm a long-time Canon user, but for some reason a couple of years ago I switched to Nikon and got the N75. I was never really happy with it. It could be because I was using a Tamron lens (28-300)-- it could also be because I was familiar with canon and Nikon was just "different." Regardless, when it came time to choose my digital, I went with Canon even though it would mean buying new lenses.

When it comes to the Nikon D70 and the XR I think it comes down to personal preference. They're pretty similar on the important stuff. The D50 isn't quite as complex, which can be a consideration both pro and con.

I just bought the Nikon D50 this morning!!! A couple of my friends who are professional photographers recommended it and I've seen great reviews about the camera over the past few months, so I made the leap this morning... just have to read my manual to figure out all the functions now :)

I got a Canon Digital Rebel XT SLR for Christmas, and I love it! I looked at both models that the OP was considering and decided on the Canon.

I'm a newbie to this whole photography thing hoping to gleen some wisdom and advice from the experts here.

I know you folks have been talking about Canon vs Nikon. The Olympus Evolt 500 is now out and I am wondering if anyone has looked at it and compared?. I have read the reviews from dpreview and steve's digicams and others and I am not sold on the Nikon or Canon. I need a dslr camera for the quality and versitility, but I travel alot between here and Iraq want something that is light weight and not a chunk to use.

Have a great day pirate:

The EVolt 500 is the latest from Olympus based on their e-system which was designed from the ground up to be digital. The Zuiko optics are awesome, I used to shoot Olympus 35mm a long time ago and always loved the clarity of their lenses. That being said, I am concerned about the longevity of Olympus in this market. Their past track record with SLR has been that they are only slightly committed (personal opinion) and I would be nervous to invest in a system like that. This may just be my frustration with being left holding an OM-2, OM-2n, OM-4T 35mm camera bodies and several thousand dollars in lenses when Olympus decided they only wanted to be in the point-and-shoot market. I think the majority of mainstream DSLR users will flock to the Nikon or Canon camps leaving Olympus with a niche market to support.

Not sure what you mean by "a chunk to use" so I can't really comment on that. If I were traveling band and forth to Iraq I would want to find something that can be serviced internationally and is impervious to sand (as much as possible). Ruggedness would be more important to me than weight but everyone has their own priorities.

Jeff

I won't touch the Evolt for the following reasons:

1. I used to use it and the auto focus tend to 'hunt' in low light situations
2. very limited choice of lenses
3. 4:3 aspect ratio rather than the regular 3:2 (35mm film-type) aspect ratio

I am not a photographer, and I don't want to be carrying around a pile of lenses. Because of that I went with the D50 and the new Nikon 18-200 VR lens. So far I am very happy. That being said, I think one important decision factor is really ergonomics. What feels right in your hands? I found the Nikon comfortable and preferred its mass. If you prefer something a little more compact you may lean towards the Canon. Either way, you can't go wrong :)

Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter