Cancelling a trip in September, with use year of October

goobylal

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of taking a trip in September but may need to cancel. If we do, it appears we will lose the points. Could we bank the points for the following year and then borrow them for the trip, allowing them to be put back into next year if we cancel? If not, what, if any, are our options? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Both banking and borrowing points are final transactions and you are not allowed to put them back.

If you would cancel the September trip anytime after May 31st you will have to use all points by Sept 30 or they will expire.

It sounds like cancelling is a very likely thing. If it's that high of a percentage I'd likely just wait to book until I knew for certain we could go. It might mean piecing a reservation together or paying cash but you won't risk losing the points.

Unless you are talking September 2019 this talk is mostly academic as September 2018 is more or less fully booked only slim pickings left

This is why having a UY where you typically travel early in your UY rather than the last few months can give you some extra insurance.

If you travel late in your UY, you do severely limit your options. As stated, banking and borrowing are one-time options that cannot be reversed. And if you cancel a stay after your banking window closes, you would have no option but to sell or give away your booked stay at the last minute or try to rebook something that you can use before the pts expire at the end of September (which is unlikely).

We are thinking of taking a trip in September but may need to cancel. If we do, it appears we will lose the points. Could we bank the points for the following year and then borrow them for the trip, allowing them to be put back into next year if we cancel? If not, what, if any, are our options? Thanks in advance.

Definitely talk to Member Services, they have been know to work with Members. If all else fails I would keep the reservation and try to sell the stay as is.

If you have to cancel and lose the points I would just contact davids dvc - as I believe they rent existing reservations. At least with this you can recoup some money and put it towards another vacation or use it to rent points yourself. There is also a rent/transfer board on this forum so you could possibly go that route but davids might be quicker and safer

Unless you are talking September 2019 this talk is mostly academic as September 2018 is more or less fully booked only slim pickings left

We just booked today a 2 bedroom at SSR ( The only 2 bedrooms left are at SSR) and cancelled 2 studios at SSR from 9-23 to 9-28. Hopefully someone on this site got the studios, because they are gone already. Wonder if waitlist or stalking got them.

MS have been known to make a one time lifetime exception allowing to bank points after the deadline. But I don't know if there is a limit how far into the deadline you can do that.

As mentioned, any points from a canceled Sept trip with an Oct UY would be lost as there would be no time to make it up. Also remember, that if you cancel less than 31 days out, those points go into holding as well so any one time exception that MS might make in allowing you to bank late would not apply. If you think you may need to cancel, then I would either wait to book when you know you will be going...which could mean nothing is available...or, book, and if you have to cancel, try to rent out the reservation to someone else to at least get some money for it. It's the biggest drawback of ever booking a trip in the last month of your UY...no real options if you can't go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter