Canadian Buffoon's Sweet 16 Celebration - Update 01/28 - The End

I have an idea to what you may be referring, but thats more related to character and personal resolve. I'm talking about the physical.

I understand...
but there's also mental strength, no?

I've rarely been sick, hardly more than the common cold and even that doesn't happen but maybe every few years. Fran told the speciality dentist that i hadn't had much dental trauma, which is why i was terrified. When he looked in my mouth, he confirmed that two fillings and two crowns was the extent of my "work". My only broken bone, was the 5th metatarcel in my left foot.

So... tell Fran to beat you up
once in a while to toughen you up?

:rolleyes1

So whenever my body experiences any type of discomfort and I don't feel 100%, I turn into a whining crybaby. :laughing:

Awww... poor Alison. :) :hug:

I'm sorry to hear she had to have surgery. As a fellow dad who has lived through it, please let me know if there's anything I can offer in support!
Thanks Mark.
I was actually relating to you
a fair bit the past few days!

Glad to hear she's improving. Surgery is no fun. I got to finish 2017 off with double surgeries -- had a broken bone in my left hand (broke it golfing in Disneyworld of all things)

So.... how did you do that???

You know you're not supposed
to catch the golf balls, right?

And... I have to know.
Was it the most magical
break you've ever had?

and while they were doing the surgery, they went ahead and did some touch up work on my previously injured finger (you may recall I sliced a portion of my finger off last year while sharpening a kitchen knife). I'm all good now, so I'm definitely glad I went ahead with the surgeries.

I do remember that.
Glad to hear you're
all fixed up now. :)

Hopefully Kay gets back on her feet soon!

She was literally on her feet yesterday. :)

I see you're going to DL sometime in April. I'm actually going to be there in May, so it looks like we keep missing each other!

:sad2:

Some day.
I plan on going at least once more.
Maybe two....

three..

dozen...

hundred.....

so have you decided on if you're writing another TR or not? Are your side trips going to be added to this TR? I want to hear about your last trip to WDW!

Oh, you do.

::yes::

If you say so....

Holy crap!
Well.... I suppose I do that.

Sort of.

I drive 50,000 yards and
swim through a pile of crap
in my inbox almost every day.

Does that count?

Sure why not? Back in the day, i was in the water from 5:30AM to 7AM and then back from 5:00-7:00PM weekdays . We had a modified weekend schedule, but we worked out almost 7 days a week. I don't remember if we got sundays off. It was brutal. I wont get into the details, but i guess swimming kept me healthy so as an adult when i have health issues, i suck! :laughing:

Hey. Guess what?

We're going to hockey game next Sunday with some friends, and guess who we're playing.

The Winnipeg Jets.

I highly expect to lose, but it did make me chuckle that of all the teams we could play, I get one connected to you. At least locale-wise. You've never made any mention about being a hockey fan, so I don't know if you follow them or not.

so have you decided on if you're writing another TR or not? Are your side trips going to be added to this TR? I want to hear about your last trip to WDW!

I think so.
Just been a little... preoccupied around here lately
what with the new job and Kay's surgery.

Stay tuned!

If you say so....

I do!

Sure why not? Back in the day, i was in the water from 5:30AM to 7AM and then back from 5:00-7:00PM weekdays . We had a modified weekend schedule, but we worked out almost 7 days a week. I don't remember if we got sundays off. It was brutal. I wont get into the details, but i guess swimming kept me healthy so as an adult when i have health issues, i suck! :laughing:

:faint:

Competitive? How did you do?

And....

Nah. Ya don't suck!

Hey. Guess what?

We're going to hockey game next Sunday with some friends, and guess who we're playing.

The Winnipeg Jets.

I highly expect to lose, but it did make me chuckle that of all the teams we could play, I get one connected to you. At least locale-wise. You've never made any mention about being a hockey fan, so I don't know if you follow them or not.
I guess I'm a fairweather fan.
When they're doing badly
I tend to not follow as much.
This year, I am a bit more.
I assume they'll make the playoffs
and I'll watch that when I can.

But not a rabid fan, no.

So.... how did you do that???

You know you're not supposed
to catch the golf balls, right?

And... I have to know.
Was it the most magical
break you've ever had?

I probably wouldn't describe it as magical. hahaha

Of course -- it is the only broken bone I've had...so I guess by default it is the most magical one.

But it would also be the least magical one too, I suppose.

The injury I had was a broken hook of the hamate bone. It happens from repetitive motion with racquet sports (baseball and golf being the most common). I have a fairly high swing speed, and I injured my hand hitting the ball out of the rough. The rough is VERY thick at the Disney golf courses and it basically grabs your club head and forces it to stop very quickly. All that torque gets absorbed by your hands, which in turn caused a fracture. I played through the pain thinking it was just a stinger. Didn't play for a month and thought it was ok. Tweeked it again. Rested for a month and went golfing again. That round was really bad as far as pain. One of my tendons ended up getting about 60% frayed, so it was good that I broke down and went to the doctor. I kept hoping it would heal itself, but the doctor told me it never would have healed with the way that break works. Too much movement for the bone to grow back together.

Some day.
I plan on going at least once more.
Maybe two....

three..

dozen...

hundred.....

Well -- right now, I've got Disneyland Paris end of March, DL May 9-11, and WDW end of October. When's your next WDW trip?

Competitive? How did you do?

Well I'm sure this is more than you want to know. I always said that i was aiming for the 1984 Olympics. There were time "goals".

•"B time" was slow, if you couldn't make B times you were pretty pathetic.

•"A time" was harder, took some effort. I hit all my A times when i was like 12 or 13, my Mom took us to Swensen's Ice cream parlor, after the meets where i scored an A time, for a Hot Fudge Sundae as a reward.

•"AA times" were where you started to get good, I ended up hitting AA in everything but breaststroke.

•"AAA times" were the level you had to make for the end of season championships, and you could only compete in events where you had previously scored a AAA time. I could only participate in backstroke and freestyle sprints because those were the only ones where i qualified. Besides you didn't want to do too many events. You wanted to be at your best. This was the kind of meet where you shaved every part of your body that wasn't covered by your suit or cap. And you wore a suit 3 sizes too small.

Let me back up. During the training season you would participate in various meets. Some would be A meets (where you had to have A Time or better to qualify), some would be "open" meets where even folks who couldn't make B time could try. At those meets the coach would encourage us to enter every event, even the ones we sucked at. It didnt matter if you were somewhat fatigued, because you were working towards the end of the season.

During the season you couldn't shave, if the coach caught you shaving (yes they would run their finger up your calf to check for stubble), you had to swim in nylons for two weeks. I was in HS by this time and most non swimmers shaved their legs, so we all were freaks. :laughing: Some of us wore two or three suits during workouts. The idea was to fatigue our bodies to make us stronger by working harder than we needed to. Come the end of the season we would taper off the hard work and allow our bodies to reach their highest potential.

The meet at the end of the year (where AAA was the qualifying time) drew people from as far as WA and AZ. It was called Far Western, luckily it was based in San Jose near where we lived.

The next "time levels" were Jr National and Sr National. By the names it should be obvious that those events would draw swimmers from all over America. Senior Nationals were where the Olympians were selected. I never made it that far.

Once I turned 16 and got my driver's license, my team merged with another big team in the area. Friends on the team formed different cliques. My coach moved to a team in So Cal and I started dating. All of those factors caused me to lose interest.

There is a happy ending to the story. I did make it to the 1984 Olympics after all. In the band! :teeth:

Well I'm sure this is more than you want to know. I always said that i was aiming for the 1984 Olympics. There were time "goals".

•"A time" was harder, took some effort. I hit all my A times when i was like 12 or 13, my Mom took us to Swensen's Ice cream parlor, after the meets where i scored an A time, for a Hot Fudge Sundae as a reward.

•"AA times" were where you started to get good, I ended up hitting AA in everything but breaststroke.

•"AAA times" were the level you had to make for the end of season championships, and you could only compete in events where you had previously scored a AAA time. I could only participate in backstroke and freestyle sprints because those were the only ones where i qualified. Besides you didn't want to do too many events. You wanted to be at your best. This was the kind of meet where you shaved every part of your body that wasn't covered by your suit or cap. And you wore a suit 3 sizes too small.

Let me back up. During the training season you would participate in various meets. Some would be A meets (where you had to have A Time or better to qualify), some would be "open" meets where even folks who couldn't make B time could try. At those meets the coach would encourage us to enter every event, even the ones we sucked at. It didnt matter if you were somewhat fatigued, because you were working towards the end of the season.

During the season you couldn't shave, if the coach caught you shaving (yes they would run their finger up your calf to check for stubble), you had to swim in nylons for two weeks. I was in HS by this time and most non swimmers shaved their legs, so we all were freaks. :laughing: Some of us wore two or three suits during workouts. The idea was to fatigue our bodies to make us stronger by working harder than we needed to. Come the end of the season we would taper off the hard work and allow our bodies to reach their highest potential.

The meet at the end of the year (where AAA was the qualifying time) drew people from as far as WA and AZ. It was called Far Western, luckily it was based in San Jose near where we lived.

The next "time levels" were Jr National and Sr National. By the names it should be obvious that those events would draw swimmers from all over America. Senior Nationals were where the Olympians were selected. I never made it that far.

Once I turned 16 and got my driver's license, my team merged with another big team in the area. Friends on the team formed different cliques. My coach moved to a team in So Cal and I started dating. All of those factors caused me to lose interest.

There is a happy ending to the story. I did make it to the 1984 Olympics after all. In the band! :teeth:

@franandaj I think this is really neat.

Just been a little... preoccupied around here lately
what with the new job and Kay's surgery.

What happened? Is she ok?

Did you get a new job? Or what?

I read all the TR updates but nothing in between so I haven't heard all the news and what's been going on.

I probably wouldn't describe it as magical. hahaha

Of course -- it is the only broken bone I've had...so I guess by default it is the most magical one.

But it would also be the least magical one too, I suppose.

The injury I had was a broken hook of the hamate bone. It happens from repetitive motion with racquet sports (baseball and golf being the most common). I have a fairly high swing speed, and I injured my hand hitting the ball out of the rough. The rough is VERY thick at the Disney golf courses and it basically grabs your club head and forces it to stop very quickly. All that torque gets absorbed by your hands, which in turn caused a fracture. I played through the pain thinking it was just a stinger. Didn't play for a month and thought it was ok. Tweeked it again. Rested for a month and went golfing again. That round was really bad as far as pain. One of my tendons ended up getting about 60% frayed, so it was good that I broke down and went to the doctor. I kept hoping it would heal itself, but the doctor told me it never would have healed with the way that break works. Too much movement for the bone to grow back together.

That sounds a lot less magical.
How is it now?

Well -- right now, I've got Disneyland Paris end of March, DL May 9-11, and WDW end of October. When's your next WDW trip?

:faint: Um.... Wow!
How many times have you been
to Paris and LA?

I actually have no plans
at this time for WDW.

I am going to LA in April
but not for DL.
But as it turns out,
I'll be there for one day.

Well I'm sure this is more than you want to know. I always said that i was aiming for the 1984 Olympics.

I'm not sure... but didn't you
mention that before?

Hmmm....

Okay. Got it.

Let me back up.

During the season you couldn't shave, if the coach caught you shaving (yes they would run their finger up your calf to check for stubble), you had to swim in nylons for two weeks. I was in HS by this time and most non swimmers shaved their legs, so we all were freaks. :laughing:

Why couldn't you shave?
I can't see that as negatively
affecting training??

Some of us wore two or three suits during workouts.

Is that because the resistance to
body motion was greater,
the water resistance, or both?

The idea was to fatigue our bodies to make us stronger by working harder than we needed to. Come the end of the season we would taper off the hard work and allow our bodies to reach their highest potential.

Get that too. Makes sense.

How far did you make it?
I presume you didn't make it
past Far Western?
How close did you get to Nationals?

I can see that too. ::yes::

Now that I knew! :)

That sounds a lot less magical.
How is it now?

:faint: Um.... Wow!
How many times have you been
to Paris and LA?

I actually have no plans
at this time for WDW.

I am going to LA in April
but not for DL.
But as it turns out,
I'll be there for one day.

The hand is about 95% healed. I still haven’t played golf yet since the scar tissue inside my hand is still there. Doc said it should go away in another week (or three). Doesn’t affect normal tasks so it’s not too bad.

I’ve been to Paris once 6 years ago and LA once 3 years ago.

Need to figure out what all we’re going to do in LA. Will have a 2 and 5 year old.

The hand is about 95% healed. I still haven’t played golf yet since the scar tissue inside my hand is still there. Doc said it should go away in another week (or three). Doesn’t affect normal tasks so it’s not too bad.

Only a week (or three)!
That's pretty good!

I’ve been to Paris once 6 years ago and LA once 3 years ago.

And now you're doing them both within 2 months!

Need to figure out what all we’re going to do in LA. Will have a 2 and 5 year old.

Tough one.
I found Universal to be more
geared to a slightly older crowd.
Sorry, can't really help.
Haven't been there enough
to offer suggestions.

@franandaj any thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts