Can you order a side dish as your "appetizer"?

molly2004

DIS Veteran
DH and I are going with our two boys (both will be just 1 month shy of their 3rd b-day). We are getting DDP for us, not the boys, since they're under 3. I figured that I would give the kids the appetizer as their meal at TS. Neither DH nor I can eat that much food. In places that may not have an appetizer the kiddos will eat, I figured I'd order veggies or mac n cheese for them. Do you think they'll allow you to count that as your appetizer? Has anyone done this?

I don't believe there are any TS restaurants that don't have appetizers. I don't believe they'll allow macaroni and cheese as an appetizer, unless it is already on the appetizer menu. Veggies are something you might be successful in getting a special exception for.

I wasn't worried about there being no apps, just none the kids would eat. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make do.

Thanks!

I am not sure if its possible with DDP but could you purchase just one child ddp and they could split a meal? Its only $10 a day and seems like it would be an easier way for them to eat. I dont know if its allowed, just a thought.

Thanks for the idea. Only prob is that if I did that, the kiddos will have to select from a children's menu if I bought them DDP. They won't eat the things you'd find on the children's menu. I'm sure that'll change as they get older, but I'm hanging on to their "grown up" taste buds for as long as I can! :-)

But you just said they'd eat macaroni and cheese, if I'm understanding correctly. So, being that it's a staple on the kids menu, wouldn't that suffice?

When all is said and done, we've been able to order entrees for our toddlers over the years that had side dishes they liked (mashed potatoes, chicken breast, or pasta/bread/salad). Most of the appetizers on an adult menu are things like you would find at any restaurant - chicken wings, nachos, dumplings, crab cakes, etc. I think you'd be better off ording yourself the appetizer and asking for a substitutiono of mac and cheese or whatever for the side dish that comes with your entree (ie. no garlic mashers - mac & cheese instead).

But, really, even paying out of pocket for a kids' meal for them to share (mine can never finish a whole order) at the table service restaurants - and buying their drinks - wouldn't be too cost prohibitive. Most are around $3-$5.

If you're dining somewhere that the appys won't do, maybe you and DH could eat your appetizers and share your entrees with the boys. There's usually a starch and veggies with meat entrees. If that doesn't work, as a PP noted, most TS restaurants kids' meals are not very expensive. You could get some mac & cheese for under $5.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter