Camper Brands

BRDof3

Humpty Dumpty had a lousy PPO
OK, time to start a bit of partisan squabbling. I have been lurking for a while, and this group seems to be experienced and knowledgeable, and I would appreciate some input.

My wife and I are trying to upgrade from tent camping, time to get a bit more comfortable while we do it. We both prefer a full-size TT over a pop-up (for the amenities that a pop-up doesn't have room for), though we have also seen a number of hybrids that we like. The problem is expense, and getting Denise over the sticker shock, and size shock.

Looking at the options in TT's, what do you have to say about the different manufacturers? I have talked to a lot of people, and have a distant relative with an RV dealership, and know that Forrest River and Jayco both hold their value well and have a solid reputation. What do you have to say about Coachmen and Dutchmen as far as reliability and durability? I am going to look at a 2003 Dutchmen Lite this afternoon, we'll see how that one appeals to me.

Just looking for some opinions. I know everyone has their own loyalties and preferences, and getting people to talk about them usually nets some good information. (That's where the partisanship comes in as well :) .

Thanks in advance

Rob (fun signature and Avatar to come later!)

you ask 1000 people and you'll get 1000 different answers to this one.

We have a weekend warrior, and we love it. However, there are some nice trailers out there. Next time, we can widen our search, because we will have a bigger tow vehicle.

We had a Kiwi that looked just like the one in FWGuy's signature. We really liked it and it was a hybrid. We towed it with a Navigator, then with a Tundra. It worked very well for us while we had it. We stumbled upon a deal for a class a that we couldn't refuse so we now have our class a. Good luck! I really liked the hybrids because of the weight and the easy set up. It was a 21'

Our RV history:

Jayco Qwest - 27" TT Good camper at a great price

Fleetwood Prowler 32" FW- had to take it to Indianapolis to have the entire side fiberglass replaced due to delamination. Not happy with construction. It was pretty, but had lots of little problems.

Now: 24AS Desert Fox by Northwood. We LOVE this camper. Not as fancy as some, but built like a tank. Heavy tho'!

It's the Coke vs Pepsi thing...you will have different answers from everyone because everyone has different experiences and expectations. Buy used if you can...let the original owner take the HUGE depreciation hit and with the gas prices like they are, you are very likely to get a good deal! Just do your homework and don't buy on impulse! Check out RV.net and you can see if a brand you are interested in is having lots of the same complaints. Don't forget picking a brand that has strong dealer service near you!

buy a weekend warrior, it's like drinking 7-up. No one ever fights with you stating theirs is better, 'cause no one knows anything about 7-up.:lmao:

What is a weekend warrior? I don't recognize the name.

Rob

I've owned 3 Keystone Products. The 1st was a 21' Tailgator. Wish I still had it to be honest. 2nd was a 22' Hobbi and although I really liked the exterior, the inside was not a good set up at all and the bathroom was made for someone tiny which I'm not.

My present camper is a 31' Cougar 5'er with the garage for a motorcycle/golf cart or atv. Although I love the room it's way too big for my needs and was a mistake on my part to buy. I would love to have the Starcraft 21SD with the toy hauler deck on front. It's a hybrid as well and is pretty light weight. Now is a great time to make a deal as dealers are hurting. I would offer no less than 25% off retail. I've done it 3 times and got my deal with the same dealer. Heck, right now you might could offer 35% off.

What is a weekend warrior? I don't recognize the name.

Rob

see, no one knows it..... lol.

www.warriormfg.com

They are made in CA. The first Toy-haulers, big on the west coast. Trailer is made well, and they do some nice things in toy haulers. They may or may not be out of business, maybe it's not so good that no one's heard of them. When we see one at the Fort, we are usually in awe....... Kinda like owning a Delorean.

Weekend Warrior was one of the, if not the, first manufacturer of a toy hauler trailer. Problem is, they are in some serious financial difficulties right now. Not a good option at this time.

We have owned a few different Jayco TT's.
Each time we want to upgrade, we always look at what everyone has to offer. The fierst thing we do is find a couple of the floor plans that best suit our needs,,then we compare and narrow down to the best and most quality for the price. We then take these deals to each of the dealers to see what each one will do for us. Each time Jayco has come up with the best deal to our liking. :thumbsup2

So much for the Dutchmen. Found out that the roof was damaged in one of the storms we had earlier this summer. They took the insurance settlement, used it to make a downpayment on a larger TT, then did a homemade patch job on the roof of this one. Call me rash, but I somehow see only trouble coming out of that. I do want my roof to be around for a few years.

Rob

I am pretty sure weekend warrior is going out of business, if they haven't already.

We have had our Jayco since 2001 and it is great. It's starting to show the miles now, but still going strong. It's built like a tank.

So much for the Dutchmen. Found out that the roof was damaged in one of the storms we had earlier this summer. They took the insurance settlement, used it to make a downpayment on a larger TT, then did a homemade patch job on the roof of this one. Call me rash, but I somehow see only trouble coming out of that. I do want my roof to be around for a few years.

Rob

Ewwww...step away from the homemade patched up rig!

Another vote for Jayco here.

Water damage is a TT's worst enemy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter