Call the Midwife

After reading the books, there are several characters that are very different in the series. And some exist only on the tv show. I have no problem with that, it’s just an observation.

Fred is completely different that described in the books. There’s no violet or Reggie. Dr. Turner is barely mentioned. Sr. Bernadette did not leave the religious life.
There are books?? Somehow I missed that. I have reread all of the James Herriot books. Now I will look up these. I am ready for more nostalgia!

Oh I love this show as well. Just watched episode 4? On PBS last night. It was about TB. Last weeks was so good with Fred.

Only thing about PBS is that they cut out scenes they get in the UK. Someone on another message board I read fills us in on scenes we didn’t see.

Season 13 has weird writing for Trixie. Seems so out of character this year.

Yes the person that said it weird they stayed in for 7 days back then. My mom said you could even smoke in the rooms back than and like the show they only gave you gas for the pain. Remember volunteering in the 70’s showing the babies in the windows and taking all the babies out to the mothers when visiting hours were over for feedings.
I was born in 1967, at that time they were still knocking moms out during childbirth, my sister was born with gas a few years later, and my dad wasn’t present for either birth.

There are books?? Somehow I missed that. I have reread all of the James Herriot books. Now I will look up these. I am ready for more nostalgia!
The tv series is based on the memoirs of Jennifer Worth (Nurse Midwife Jenny Lee from the first few seasons). Most of the storylines from the first few seasons were taken almost directly from those books.

I’ve watched the series from the very beginning (waaaaaay back in 2012) and, while I still love it, I feel like the quality of the writing has gone down. And I also don’t like how sometimes the reasons for characters departures are very unclear and then most of the time said-departed characters are never mentioned again.

The tv series is based on the memoirs of Jennifer Worth (Nurse Midwife Jenny Lee from the first few seasons). Most of the storylines from the first few seasons were taken almost directly from those books.

I’ve watched the series from the very beginning (waaaaaay back in 2012) and, while I still love it, I feel like the quality of the writing has gone down. And I also don’t like how sometimes the reasons for characters departures are very unclear and then most of the time said-departed characters are never mentioned again.
Ok, you really have seen how they have evolved. I only became acquainted with them since January and I binge watched all I could get on weekend when my DH was in the hospital. He is ok now, and we watch it together on Sunday evenings.

Just has the James Herriot books cover a time before penicillin, these cover a time before what we now are used to. My oldest son will be 50 this year, and his dad was in the birth room. We went to classes together before delivery. I was in the hospital from Thursday when he was born until the following Monday.

I am also interested in the social aspect of life as it was, and am enjoying the series a lot!

I’ve been watching since the beginning (10 pm on pbs after downton abbey), I might go back and rewatch from the beginning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter