Cake Bake Shop at the BoardWalk opening in 2024

The cocktail menu is insane pricing also. I think it will be a one and done thing with most people if they choose to try the new CBS at WDW.
My brain has already moved on from Cake Bake Shop. I read that as CBS the channel and was like “how did I miss Disney teamed up with Paramount for like a restaurant?!!!” Might be time for sleep…

I'm reading all the comments here, and this place seriously seems like it could fail before it even opens. Yet, it is in WDW and has a great location, so she could scrape out a profit here and keep the shop running.
I have some thoughts, however,
Yes, when it first opens, the place will be a mob scene. Every influencer will have their danged iPhones and GoPro's filming every nook and cranny of the place. We'll get "reviews" of "every item on the menu." And the tourists, myself included, will initially be interested/intrigued/curious about the place, so we'll give it a shot.

But here are some of the problems:
1. The Boardwalk does NOT allow for tourist/guest/local parking without a reservation at the hotel or a specific restaurant. This has caused a reduction in foot traffic on the Boardwalk and wouldn't be good for business.
2. The Boardwalk is predominantly DVC villas - meaning lots of returning guests who have intimate knowledge of the bargains around WDW; they also have their own kitchens to cover meals as needed. Anyone on a budget ain't heading to the CBS.
3. The options around the Boardwalk abound. The Boardwalk "Deli" (aka Bakery) is literally feet away, Epcot is a short walk away. Never mind the 5 other resorts within a short walk...
4. The post-covid travel boom is over. People who hadn't traveled in a long time have now done so, and many have gone over budget. The numbers at WDW are (statistically however) down. This can't bode well for the long-term bottom line here.
5. The prices at CBS are borderline ridiculous. This fact alone will turn people off. The food better be insanely high quality or the internet has a habit of ruining reputations in a rather quick manner.
6. CBS is taking the space of a former HUGE SPORTS BAR. Folks are used to the more casual atmosphere of ESPN. Now we have a more "formal" cake shop? For 1 mimosa, someone used to get a pitcher of beer.

It may seem like I'm really down on the place. Maybe a little. In truth I want it to be good. I want it to be really good. I spend a lot of my vacation time at the Boardwalk.
But the reality is that they're forcing a high priced "niche" shop into a well-established area. The Boardwalk only really gets busy at night around dinner time to just prior to park closing. And it's mostly families. I'm not sure the CBS is really in the right place and the right market.
4. Is the biggest issue. They missed THE biggest YOLO spending period of our generation. Aaaannnnd are now entering a period of time where even Disney says they expect lower sales.

Concur with others this thing belonged at GF. People who want “the best” Disney has to offer go to GF not BWI as GF is the Flagship.

I find the outrage over prices hilarious. People spend huge amounts of money on grossly overpriced Disney hotel rooms, overpriced food is just part of the deal. I never bake at home because I would have to eat it all myself, so I am looking forward to trying a slice of cake or afternoon tea service.

I do too. I wonder how many people complaining about the overpriced food are fine regularly paying outrageous prices for alcoholic drinks at other restaurants & lounges. I’d much rather spend my money on meals than drinks. I’m also thinking of how many posts complaining about Disney charging for “fastpasses” & how they’ll never pay for them. And by the end of the thread, they’re already saying which parks they’ll be booking them for. So I won’t be surprised when the I’m never going there comments turn into complaints they couldn’t get reservations on the day & time they wanted.

CBS will likely also be used for some of the bachelorette, wedding and special events. They offer Afternoon Teas and have a large bakery ~ something that I think will be popular especially if they offer a delivery service on property. The business model can probably have multiple offerings that will keep it very busy. And with the large facility they have built in the area, they can sell to local customers and businesses from there.

I think this is a good business strategy once the hype dies down. If it's as heavily themed as people are saying the Indiana locations are, hosting weddings is big money. No shortage of people who want to get married at Disney.

Also I hadn't been into ESPN Club in ages, but it seems like it might be big enough to block off a space for events while still leaving some room for dessert/coffee takeaway orders.

I find the outrage over prices hilarious. People spend huge amounts of money on grossly overpriced Disney hotel rooms, overpriced food is just part of the deal. I never bake at home because I would have to eat it all myself, so I am looking forward to trying a slice of cake or afternoon tea service.
I
DIS is a Disney fan forum. Many of the threads and posts are about saving money. Resort discounts. Crystal Light packets to put in tap water. What third party ticket sellers offer discounts, a few dollars per ticket. A few years ago posters were making meal reservations, but only ordering desserts.

Those guests aren't the target market.

Edited to add PP are right about parking. Validating valet parking is one idea.

Last edited:
I
DIS is a Disney fan forum. Many of the threads and posts are about saving money. Resort discounts. Crystal Light packets to put in tap water. What third party ticket sellers offer discounts, a few dollars per ticket. A few years ago posters were making meal reservations, but only ordering desserts.

Those guests aren't the target market.

Edited to add PP are right about parking. Validating valet parking is one idea.
Fair enough. The question remains: Is there enough of the target market visiting WDW and is motivated to make a special trip to the Boardwalk to dine here? Personally, I don't see it but then, I don't understand waiting in line for hours to purchase overpriced cookies at Gideon's either. The difference between Gideon's and CBS is that there's a whole lot more to do at Disney Springs to lure people there than there is on the Boardwalk.

I'm just happy that the walls have come down. I will be at BWV in December and March, and it will be nice to not see all that construction. While I would love to try a piece of the Raspberry Champagne Cake, I just don't think I can justify that price. We'll see...maybe I'll change my mind when I'm there.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Stephen Sondheim song or like a place you'd see the Sex in the City ladies dine.

The drink prices are not any different from the Enchanted Rose. I was just in Chicago and went to a few of the more famous cocktail bars there and drinks were all starting around the 20 dollar point. The prices do not seem that different from what I've seen in Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, New York, Toronto.

I don’t think Gideons is overpriced at all, and that’s part of why they do so well. $6 for premium giant cookies and $9 for cake slice is pretty standard compared to high end bakeries in major cities.
I guess that's where we can agree to disagree. I can bake and I could make half pound cookies any time I want to, so standing in line at Gideon's has no appeal for me. Likewise, CBS.

I guess that's where we can agree to disagree. I can bake and I could make half pound cookies any time I want to, so standing in line at Gideon's has no appeal for me. Likewise, CBS.
This is why you are not Gideon's or Cake Bake's target audience. You can bake! You're able to look down at these venues because you're likely an excellent baker.

People pay almost $50 for the adult breakfast at Topolino's and $30 each for the kids. It has characters but it's harder to get to and has marginally better food than the standard disney breakfast offering. And yet it's full every day, and that's without the higher end foot traffic from the YC and SR convention crowds. I'm sure people will pay the prices at CBS, at least for the first few years.

I wonder if they can be rented for special events.

Cake Bake already has two successful locations in Indiana and an online presence with Williams-Sonoma. Why do people assume it wouldn't do well at a more touristy destination like Disney?

Possibly beoucse the prices are ridiculous compared to the other locations

Ice tea at Broad ripple $4 and includes refills. At Boardwalk $8.

Millionaire cake $16 vs $26.

Any Cake bake regulars are hardly going to visit at these prices.

Cake Bake already has two successful locations in Indiana and an online presence with Williams-Sonoma. Why do people assume it wouldn't do well at a more touristy destination like Disney?

I know. Like an owner of 2 successful restaurants wouldn’t have done her due diligence before spending 2 years & what I’m assuming was hundreds of thousands of dollars before opening her next site (& the accompanying offsite bakery). 🙄

Plus, people have been ordering specialty cakes from the resorts for a long time. Check the restaurants forum for a years long thread on that. Since the pandemic, posters have had a lot of problems doing that or less choices. For all we know, CBS might end up as the only place you can do that going forward. Disney could well have decided to take itself out of the specialty cake business. CBS could be providing specialty & wedding cakes and convention desserts in the future.

I'm reading all the comments here, and this place seriously seems like it could fail before it even opens. Yet, it is in WDW and has a great location, so she could scrape out a profit here and keep the shop running.
I have some thoughts, however,
Yes, when it first opens, the place will be a mob scene. Every influencer will have their danged iPhones and GoPro's filming every nook and cranny of the place. We'll get "reviews" of "every item on the menu." And the tourists, myself included, will initially be interested/intrigued/curious about the place, so we'll give it a shot.

But here are some of the problems:
1. The Boardwalk does NOT allow for tourist/guest/local parking without a reservation at the hotel or a specific restaurant. This has caused a reduction in foot traffic on the Boardwalk and wouldn't be good for business.
2. The Boardwalk is predominantly DVC villas - meaning lots of returning guests who have intimate knowledge of the bargains around WDW; they also have their own kitchens to cover meals as needed. Anyone on a budget ain't heading to the CBS.
3. The options around the Boardwalk abound. The Boardwalk "Deli" (aka Bakery) is literally feet away, Epcot is a short walk away. Never mind the 5 other resorts within a short walk...
4. The post-covid travel boom is over. People who hadn't traveled in a long time have now done so, and many have gone over budget. The numbers at WDW are (statistically however) down. This can't bode well for the long-term bottom line here.
5. The prices at CBS are borderline ridiculous. This fact alone will turn people off. The food better be insanely high quality or the internet has a habit of ruining reputations in a rather quick manner.
6. CBS is taking the space of a former HUGE SPORTS BAR. Folks are used to the more casual atmosphere of ESPN. Now we have a more "formal" cake shop? For 1 mimosa, someone used to get a pitcher of beer.

It may seem like I'm really down on the place. Maybe a little. In truth I want it to be good. I want it to be really good. I spend a lot of my vacation time at the Boardwalk.
But the reality is that they're forcing a high priced "niche" shop into a well-established area. The Boardwalk only really gets busy at night around dinner time to just prior to park closing. And it's mostly families. I'm not sure the CBS is really in the right place and the right market.

This☝️☝️ - All of this.

We’ve been DVC members at the Boardwalk for 25 years. This is not the Boardwalk vibe. At all.

We have no issue spending a few hundred dollars for dinner & drinks at a good WDW restaurant. But with two grown sons in their 30s, it certainly won’t be here (it doesn’t help that grabbing a burger at ESPN was a favorite part of their BWV vacation experience for 2 decades 😬).

For me personally, if traveling with a girlfriend for a weekend getaway, I’ll probably try it for a cocktail & a piece of cake, but suspect it will be a 1 & done.

I wish them luck, but I don’t give it more than a couple of years. Sigh.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest