BYOS bring your own straw (Disney removing straws and more in 2019)

Do you know why I think this won't work? Because people are idiots. Look to literally anything that is free. No one will be satisfied with one. People will be asking for their free re-usable bag with every purchase they make. No, charge for them, and charge a decent amount. that way people will buy ONE and actually you know, reuse it. Incentives for bringing your own bag I am completely on board for though. 50 cents off your total purchase of 20 dollars or more if you use your own bag.

As to the straw debate, people arguing against it have NOTHING to stand on. hide behind the minority that needs it so that you can have your precious straw. Come on. it's a complete superlative for 99% of the population. The 1% that need it will find their own alternative that works, because they NEED it. That's how needs work. Just because Disney might save money by no longer providing straws does NOT make it a financially driven agenda.

But if I shop in more than one store then Disney is forcing me to buy another bag? My issue is they use WAY more plastic in the cheap toys they sale than is used in straws. They are not stopping the sale of drinks in plastic bottles, plastic utensils, plastic lids on cups, plastic domes on take out plates at resorts, plastic trash bags, rubber Magic Bands, etc, etc.

As for as it NOT being a money thing.....notice that the only items they are doing away with are items they give out FREE, and they are now charging for bags! I for one will be handing my Walmart or Target bag to the Disney CM for an purchase I make as I do save them for reuse!

Because if the bag is "free", then no one even thinks about *not* taking a bag. If you have to pay *something*, then people actually take a second to consider whether they need the bag or not.

I suppose Disney might be able to achieve the same thing if they *asked* every customer "do you need a bag?", but actually charging (even a nominal amount) makes people think a bit harder about whether they need the bag or not.

It makes me think: "Do I really want to buy this stuff that I don't need and will have to carry around without a bag?" I'm not paying extra for bags when they're necessary to conveniently transport my purchases. That makes sense for Aldi and Costco selling essential items at cut-rate prices, but it's not something I'm going to accept when paying premium prices for luxury items. In the context of Disney, it's an insane business practice because the goal is to make it easier and more convenient for people to spend money impulsively, not to do something which will make them hesitate before the purchase.

For straws and lids, it's the same thing. I'll drink a [free] cup of water without a straw, but I won't buy a soft drink without one. I am an occasional Starbucks customer for cold drinks, but will stop buying them the instant they are unable to provide a straw--I simply enjoy the drink more with a straw, and the Starbucks visit is a luxury item which I will have no problem eliminating if I suddenly enjoy it less or have to pay *more* to enjoy it the way I used to.

I'm all for conservation--real conservation--but this straw and bag nonsense is nothing more than an attempt by those with questionable credibility to control the behavior of others by spreading lies and half-truths through social media. The fact that anyone on social media has that kind of influence should send chills down the spines of everyone. Using the same logic used to justify these straw and bag policies, we should ditch many other modern conveniences like cars, air conditioning, or even electricity, because they all do far more harm to the environment and consume more resources than straws or plastic bags. There is something not right about a thought process that, in the name of progress, rolls back the advances of technology and improvements in our standard of living.

The difference being a CPAP is a medical device that is prescribed by a physician; a straw is something used by anyone. Also not a very good analogy in that someone who forgets their CPAP machine would not expect Disney to supply one as they have never supplied CPAP machines, but they HAVE always supplied straws.

The fact that straws are not prescribed by physicians is an argument against, not for, providing them. It shows that while they can benefit some particular groups, they are not necessary and insurance does not need to pay for them. Straws have been supplied by Disney out of convenience, not medical benefit, for people. They have no obligation to provide them to those who feel they would be medically beneficial.

I usually mail my purchases home. Wonder how the will approach that scenario? Items are usually bagged and tagged at point of sale. Same question for resort pick up.

The fact that straws are not prescribed by physicians is an argument against, not for, providing them. It shows that while they can benefit some particular groups, they are not necessary and insurance does not need to pay for them. Straws have been supplied by Disney out of convenience, not medical benefit, for people. They have no obligation to provide them to those who feel they would be medically beneficial.
Then your whole argument is invalid. You are the one who brought up the CPAP machine and my response was to show that the analogy is flawed. No one would ever expect Disney to supply their medical equipment, but people do expect a straw when they buy a drink! No Disney is under no obligation to supply items that some may feel are medically beneficial....well......except in accordance with the ADA they DO have to supply certain medical items/services/conveniences. At what point does Disney decide what a customer needs medically or does not need?

Then your whole argument is invalid. You are the one who brought up the CPAP machine and my response was to show that the analogy is flawed. No one would ever expect Disney to supply their medical equipment, but people do expect a straw when they buy a drink! No Disney is under no obligation to supply items that some may feel are medically beneficial....well......except in accordance with the ADA they DO have to supply certain medical items/services/conveniences. At what point does Disney decide what a customer needs medically or does not need?

Go back to page 2. Look at the two posts I was following up on. Ah, you will see, there was a medical necessity comment made about straws, which brought in the comment about medical equipment. Hope that makes sense to you now.

If you fly will they let you bring them with you on the flight?

I'll find out in about 2 weeks! I wouldn't see why not. They aren't sharp or anything and TSA lets you bring other kinds of metals as long as they aren't weapons. They'll probably open my bag to see what it is exactly and hopefully let me on. If not I don't mind throwing out as I have others at home :)

I'll find out in about 2 weeks! I wouldn't see why not. They aren't sharp or anything and TSA lets you bring other kinds of metals as long as they aren't weapons. They'll probably open my bag to see what it is exactly and hopefully let me on. If not I don't mind throwing out as I have others at home :)

You can send a picture to the TSA on twitter I think and they'll let you know if it's okay.

Why do you consider reducing plastic waste as a sign that the world is going nuts? Even if Asia is worse, why would America set the worst in the world as a bar to compare ourselves to?
When passing the HIV aids virus is less of a penalty than giving a plastic straw to someone in a resturant then the world is going nuts.

When passing the HIV aids virus is less of a penalty than giving a plastic straw to someone in a resturant then the world is going nuts.

Geez. Go fight for penalizing spreading disease more then. One thing being worse does not make something else better just because you're comparing them. Just because mass murder is the worst crime out there, it doesn't make murder, battery , theft, and other terrible crimes any better. Stick to actually focusing on the problem at hand on this board and hopefully the world can grow from it. Seriously, though, I take no offense if you want to go to California and fight the spread of AIDS as well, I am not suggesting that's a good thing either.

I didn't read thru 8 pages of comments, but has anyone mentioned the fact that paper straws wind up in landfills too? Doesn't that mean more trees have to be cut down to make more paper? I remember when saving the trees was all the rage. I guess we've moved on to other things...

I didn't read thru 8 pages of comments, but has anyone mentioned the fact that paper straws wind up in landfills too? Doesn't that mean more trees have to be cut down to make more paper? I remember when saving the trees was all the rage. I guess we've moved on to other things...
That's the argument I often use against the anti-plastic herd-followers, especially when I back it up with facts about the environmental impact of paper production vs plastic, since paper requires significantly more resources to produce than plastic, and because most paper items are just simply thrown away or at least recycled, they'll never be able to offset that. Same goes for carrier bags; people are more likely going to reuse a plastic bag than a paper bag, because plastic is waterproof and oleophobic, whereas paper is not.

I actually use cloth bags for grocery shopping, and don't care whether I get a straw or not, but I just had to "like" the cool word!
Thanks! I do the same for food shopping, though I sometimes also use the thicker LDPE plastic bags, particularly for smaller things and stuff where there's the risk of staining, while I'll use an NWPP bag for larger items and WPET for heavier items such as multiple beercans.

As for straws, my only concern would be how it would affect people who cannot drink out of paper ones because of the risk they'd fall apart too quickly and the inflexibility they have, not to mention other downsides which I think someone more clued up with the straws disability issue would be more qualified to answer.

Like so many things...we have created this problem. For the vast majority of history, people didn't really use straws. The ones that we did have were mostly glass. It has been in the last 70-ish years that plastic drinking straws gained traction and became a norm. The same goes for many things plastic - bags, containers, utensils, cups, and so on. Certainly there are some pros to plastic over other materials, but there are also plenty of cons. Combine those cons with the way many people live these days in terms of consumption and waste, and it really starts to tip the scale against plastic. Add to it the idea that plastic can leach into other materials (be it the ground, soda, or shampoo), and the argument is confounded even more. Certainly, there are any number of products, chemicals, etc that arguments can be made for or against. The point is that we all need to be taking the time to look at the impact all of these "conveniences" are having on the world at large, and not just what we are used to, what we want, our unwillingness to change.

I don't think any one thing spurred Disney's decision. While it could make them money in terms of reusable bag and straw sales, I don't think they will probably see much of a budget cut...certainly not if they are replacing the purchase of plastic straws with paper straws. I do think large corporations have great power (no doubt too much), and with that they should feel a responsibility to set examples, hopefully positive ones.

There are plenty of choices for us. They have always been there. We are just so used to the convenience and instant gratification of our current society that we often fail to recognize the problem let alone see the solution(s). Personally, I am pleased by this move. As with all of the eco-choices I make, I accept that if I want a future for our children and our planet, it starts with me. I will carry my reusable bags and straws. I will try to plan my errands, so that I drive less. I will be a little colder in the winter, put on a sweatshirt, and turn down the heat. I will mow my browning lawn more often with a reel mower. And despite none of it being "convenient", I will survive. In fact, I will see that I can do better in many parts of my life, inspire my friends to make changes, and I will feel content to know that I am doing what I can to protect our one and only Earth for my 2 boys and their future families.

My thoughts exactly. A sea turtle had a straw stuck up its nose and there was a video. That's what started this whole thing. This is a "politically correct" move by Disney. Plastic in general is an environmental problem, not just straws. Disney wants credit for doing the right thing, but Splash Mountain is the wettest ride in MK. Can you imagine how many plastic bags will be handed out? At least Disney has a recycling program. And before you purchase a shopping bag, know that their plastic shopping bags are made of recycled materials.
Actually, most of this started with that ridiculous "500 million straws a day" are used statistic that everyone had been throwing around. Crazy thing was, when they dug into this, it was from the "research" paper of a 9-year old.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...nt-bans-on-plastic-straws-to-be-more-flexible

"Environmentalists have latched on to a figure stating that Americans use over 500 million plastic straws every day — a number that was derived from phone calls made by a 9-year-old boy in 2011. Despite its frequent repetition, there's uncertainty over the accuracy of that figure."

We can debate whether straws are warranted or not, but some of the foundations of the arguments are shaky from a statistical standpoint...

Actually, most of this started with that ridiculous "500 million straws a day" are used statistic that everyone had been throwing around. Crazy thing was, when they dug into this, it was from the "research" paper of a 9-year old.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...nt-bans-on-plastic-straws-to-be-more-flexible

"Environmentalists have latched on to a figure stating that Americans use over 500 million plastic straws every day — a number that was derived from phone calls made by a 9-year-old boy in 2011. Despite its frequent repetition, there's uncertainty over the accuracy of that figure."

We can debate whether straws are warranted or not, but some of the foundations of the arguments are shaky from a statistical standpoint...
I guess the whole issue got blown wide open after the airing of the Sir David Attenborough documentary Blue Planet II on the BBC, and the subsequent resurfacing of a 2015 video of a marine veterinarian extracting plastic straws out of a sea turtle's nostrils, which did look gruesome. However, it got me questioning about waste management regimes around the world and the attitudes of irresponsible people who have no respect for the environment, which would be scoffed at in Japan since they have virtually no plastic pollution problems whatsoever, thanks to how their cultural tradition of respect and cleanliness has become the envy of the world, and I personally think that we should be more like Japan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter