Buying the kitchen a 6 pack?

Tipping story from the weekend. DH and I went to Ruby Tuesday and I had a Buy 1 Entree, Get the Second 50% off code. When the receipt arrived after we paid, the server said something like this to DH: "Sir, I just wanted to point out that there is a tipping guide on the bottom of the receipt so you don't need to do the math. I was never good at math and we do this to make things easier for you."

They had the tip amount for 15%, 18%, and 20% based on the full amount of the check before the discount.

Yeah, I know we're supposed to tip based on the original total. I suppose enough people tip based on the discounted amount that he felt the need to say something.

Anyway, the 20% tip was $8.05, but we stiffed him on the 5 cents for his "condescending lecture." :P

Speaking of tipping...I am at my mom's (in a more high cost of living area) and got fill ins on my nails with gel polish. At home it's $28 and here it was $42. I thought she said $32 and was thinking a little higher but reasonable...then she corrected me and said $42. The nails weren't that great either (all bumpy and shaped weird). So I pay by CC but could only tip in cash so I asked her to change a $20 and she was handing me cash back piecemeal as if waiting for me to say stop but at like a $10 tip. So I said 'just give me back $16 total' and she hesitated and was like 'this ...you sure' as she handed me the last $4. Um...yep. At home I tip $4 for the $28 service. And they do a way better job at home.

Speaking of tipping...I am at my mom's (in a more high cost of living area) and got fill ins on my nails with gel polish. At home it's $28 and here it was $42. I thought she said $32 and was thinking a little higher but reasonable...then she corrected me and said $42. The nails weren't that great either (all bumpy and shaped weird). So I pay by CC but could only tip in cash so I asked her to change a $20 and she was handing me cash back piecemeal as if waiting for me to say stop but at like a $10 tip. So I said 'just give me back $16 total' and she hesitated and was like 'this ...you sure' as she handed me the last $4. Um...yep. At home I tip $4 for the $28 service. And they do a way better job at home.

$42 just to get them filled??

:scared1:

:faint:

Tipping story from the weekend. DH and I went to Ruby Tuesday and I had a Buy 1 Entree, Get the Second 50% off code. When the receipt arrived after we paid, the server said something like this to DH: "Sir, I just wanted to point out that there is a tipping guide on the bottom of the receipt so you don't need to do the math. I was never good at math and we do this to make things easier for you."

They had the tip amount for 15%, 18%, and 20% based on the full amount of the check before the discount.

Yeah, I know we're supposed to tip based on the original total. I suppose enough people tip based on the discounted amount that he felt the need to say something.

Anyway, the 20% tip was $8.05, but we stiffed him on the 5 cents for his "condescending lecture." :P
You're a generous and gracious woman. 15% max, less the $0.05 lecture penalty. :mad:

There is a local Mexican place that has two tips buckets one says for "wait staff" (they bring you the food but you order at the counter) and the other says "kitchen."

I've used several discounted programs such as group discount certificates and Restaurant.com certificates that I got with airline points that would have otherwise expired. They usually have some fine print that suggests tipping on the full amount before the certificates are applied. It does seem fair.

I'm kind of conflicted when I order something from a happy hour menu. I figure the amount of work is the same even though the check is smaller.

It's a fun little treat for the kitchen.They aren't drinking them on the job-it's after their shift when they get to enjoy it.I've been sent bottles of wine in kitchens where I've worked-just a nice extra to say thank you for recognizing your food.Not anything to be up in arms about.Do-don't-no different than tip jars at coffee places and the like.

I've seen it one time as an option while on vacation, I think it was a BBQ place somewhere in Maryland. I have no problem with it being an option and if I was at a place that did it and had a very good meal, I would absolutely take advantage of it. I've never worked in a kitchen like that, but I have worked the kitchen at Burger King during the lunch rush on a college campus - let me tell you, it was tough! So I can only imagine what a regular restaurant kitchen can go through at times!

Where in Ohio? I live here and have never heard of such a thing.

Saw it last weekend at Put-in-Bay, our server even pointed it out to us as she gave us the check. The pre-populated tip options at the bottom were 20% or 22%, 20% used to be the top, now I guess it's the bare minimum. Anyway, NOT trying to turn this into a tip percentage post.

The second was in North Canton, close to where we live, it was printed on the actual menu. Surprised me, we've eaten there before and I never noticed it. It's a cool, hipstery place I guess (I'm neither cool nor a hipster lol).

So they were suggesting you tip the normal 20% to the server and then an additional $6-10 to the kitchen staff? No way. I consider myself a generous tipper and that seems extreme.

It's a fun little treat for the kitchen.They aren't drinking them on the job-it's after their shift when they get to enjoy it.I've been sent bottles of wine in kitchens where I've worked-just a nice extra to say thank you for recognizing your food.Not anything to be up in arms about.Do-don't-no different than tip jars at coffee places and the like.
Or how about they buy their own beer like everyone else does?

I do think it’s a little ridiculous for a business to say hey want to show appreciation for our non-tip employees, buy our ridiculously marked up drinks for them.

It’s like going to the gap and saying hey did that retail assistant go out of her way to help you? Buy her a shirt.

I do think it’s a little ridiculous for a business to say hey want to show appreciation for our non-tip employees, buy our ridiculously marked up drinks for them.

It’s like going to the gap and saying hey did that retail assistant go out of her way to help you? Buy her a shirt.

It may not be buying stuff from the restaurant, but just something like a 6-pack from a liquor store. What would they call that - self-dealing?

I remember once I was checking out the work of employees of a paving contractor. It wasn't necessarily that critical, but I was an HOA officer at the time. When I got there I asked the foreman if I might buy them a 12-pack of beer, and if so what kind they preferred. The crew was entirely Latino and he said Modelo. So I went to Target and came back with a 12-pack of Modelo Especial, which the foreman took and placed in their vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter