Buying direct, What points do you get?

pmurph

Mouseketeer
Kicking around the idea of buying at the Riviera...

hypothetically, if one bought direct in the fall of next year (2019), and a December use year is needed, what points would I get? Would I get 2018's points in addition to the 2019 points (and of course going forward)?

Yes, you would get 2018 points if your purchased by November 30, 2019 because you would still be in your 2018 Use Year (UY).

You get the points that you are eligible for. If you buy during your 2019 UY, you get 2019 points. You don't get points for a UY if the resort didn't exist yet. You can't get 2018 points if the resort wasn't for sale then.

I would also caution you that buying a new resort without staying there first may not work out. We bought BLT during the pre-sale and after staying there a few times, we realized that we don't really care for the place.

:earsboy: Bill

Worth noting: You also don't pay dues for before the open date of the resort.

I wouldn't expect prior UY points with a new open.

We bought CCV last September and got 2017 and 2018 points with an April UY. Since this was our first DVC purchase, I’m not sure how the pre-sale works but at the time we bought, we were able to get double our points and some people got 2016, 17 and 18 points. From the way our guide made it sound, this wasn’t a usual thing.

We bought CCV last September and got 2017 and 2018 points with an April UY. Since this was our first DVC purchase, I’m not sure how the pre-sale works but at the time we bought, we were able to get double our points and some people got 2016, 17 and 18 points. From the way our guide made it sound, this wasn’t a usual thing.

Sorry to say that you got 2017 points because you were in your 2017 UY. The guides always make it seem like you are special but you got what you paid for. Just another selling tactic that they are taught. The people who got 2016 points were in their 2016 UY when they purchased.

Sorry to say that you got 2017 points because you were in your 2017 UY. The guides always make it seem like you are special but you got what you paid for. Just another selling tactic that they are taught. The people who got 2016 points were in their 2016 UY when they purchased.

Actually, we may have been ripped off but people who bought not long before off weren’t in their 2016 UY.

Actually, we may have been ripped off but people who bought not long before off weren’t in their 2016 UY.

If someone had have purchased an October or December UY the very same day you bought, they would have gotten 2016 pts because they would have still been in their 2016 UY.

I don't think that you were ripped off, you received what you paid for. You were deceived buy the sales person telling you that you received something that others always receive. They tell all new buyers the same story. This is your first wake up call that Disney is a business and we make our own magic.

In fact, you were the opposite of "ripped off." You got what you were entitled to. Had you not gotten those points, that would have been a rip-off direct.

The guides count on people not understanding UY to hype "extra points" when what they're giving is what you have rights to.

For brand new resorts like CCV in 2017, how does DVD offer 2016 points, for say a Dec UY, when the resort wasn’t declared until 2017?

I understand if you buy in Aug, you haven’t entered the 2017 UY, but how does that impact RTU counts? All contracts are supposed to get their last set of points in 2066. Would those Dec contracts get a 51st set of points?

For brand new resorts like CCV in 2017, how does DVD offer 2016 points, for say a Dec UY, when the resort wasn’t declared until 2017?

I understand if you buy in Aug, you haven’t entered the 2017 UY, but how does that impact RTU counts? All contracts are supposed to get their last set of points in 2066. Would those Dec contracts get a 51st set of points?

It works out because early on, they always overclock declared units vs. points sold.

It works out because early on, they always overclock declared units vs. points sold.
Sorry. I don't think I understood 80% of what the words in that sentence means in context.

Are you saying people who bought a UY that was subsequent to their purchase date at CCV in 2017 will indeed get 51 years of points?

Sorry. I don't think I understood 80% of what the words in that sentence means in context.

Are you saying people who bought a UY that was subsequent to their purchase date at CCV in 2017 will indeed get 51 years of points?

Only the people who buy the UY of the presales before open. Because Disney has to declare units to sell, they declare, say, 25% of the resort at inception. But they have only sold say 5% in the first few months. So basically it is covered via the unsold inventory.

Only the people who buy the UY of the presales before open. Because Disney has to declare units to sell, they declare, say, 25% of the resort at inception. But they have only sold say 5% in the first few months. So basically it is covered via the unsold inventory.
OK. So it doesn't actually matter how many years you are supposedly "buying in" for at a new resort on the first year. You'll be granted points based on whatever UY your contract is in as even if that UY will pre-date the calendar year of purchase/declaration, and those extra points are covered by the % interest that have been declared but not yet been sold, or rather doesn't sell in the first UY. Got it.

So for a DEC UY purchased in August of 2017 at CCV, the buyers will indeed be getting an entire year's worth of points more than the buyer with the guide next door who's buying at the exact same sized contract at the exact same time, but for an August UY. I suppose that's technically only a 2% difference over the life of the contract, but at that point, assuming people do put much greater value on the points in the earlier part of the contract, that's an entire UY that could be rented/sold that would amplify the disparity between those two contracts.

Nobody gets 2068 points because all contracts expire in January. So anyone getting 2017 points got 51 years, anyone getting 2016 got 52. 2018 will still get you 50.

(for CCV)

So I’m not sure where to ask this, but, if I purchased CCV sept or oct uy let’s say tomorrow, would I still be in 2017 uy? Also if I already have a trip planned and wanted to bank the points when would they have to be used by?
Sorry new and trying to get it all straight. Thanks for any help!

So I’m not sure where to ask this, but, if I purchased CCV sept or oct uy let’s say tomorrow, would I still be in 2017 uy? Also if I already have a trip planned and wanted to bank the points when would they have to be used by?
Sorry new and trying to get it all straight. Thanks for any help!
Yes, September and October are still in 2017 UY.

If you banked 2017 points they would need to be user by August 31 or September 30, 2019.

Yes, September and October are still in 2017 UY.

If you banked 2017 points they would need to be user by August 31 or September 30, 2019.
Ok, hmm that makes wonder if I should wait until 2019 before I purchase. I already have a trip booked with resale points I just purchased and would not have time to go back before Aug or sept.

Ok, hmm that makes wonder if I should wait until 2019 before I purchase. I already have a trip booked with resale points I just purchased and would not have time to go back before Aug or sept.
Banking moves them forward one UY. If you banked 2017 points, they would become part of your 2018 UY and need to be used by the end of that.

If you want CCV, you might also consider renting out the first year's points, as depending on when in 2019, you're unlikely to get to name your UY, and they will run dry by end of Q1/beginning of Q2 and switch to Riviera sales.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter